Ab plate Cutting

Where is the best place to cut the ab plate so bending over is easier? I have seen pics where it is cut just below the belt so it is just the cod piece and have seen others where it is cut along the line the botton of the ab plate but this will be under the belt.

I prefer along the bottom of the ab plate so the belt hides the split. The actual suits didn't have a separate cod, so in some ways it's really up to you.

Yeah it does. But then my goal isn't to have 100% flexibility in the costume - they're not designed for that anyway. Cosmetically I don't like too much flexibility in the front as I've seen too many pix of "happy" troopers. Let's face it, there's always a trade-off between aesthetics and comfort in these things. :D

Hey - it's just one person's opinion :) There are many others on this board who have done the mod and may have better solutions. C'mon guys - pipe up!

I cut mine along the bottom of the ab plate, mainly because it was easier to do with the equipment that I had ;) but I did think that along the bottom might give you a bit more flexibility since it's not effected by the belt as much (I think)

I also added snaps to the cod and ab plate so it could be removed completely which allows the cod to move up under the ab plate a bit so I can sit without much trouble :)

I don't really think it's helped with bending over that much but it did make sitting less awkward

I prefer along the bottom of the ab plate so the belt hides the split. The actual suits didn't have a separate cod, so in some ways it's really up to you.

Yes, this is wear mine is cut, and i have no complaints :)

On my old suit (FX), I had cut a line that would be just above the bottom edge of the belt. It didn't really help with bending, considering your torso is wrapped in rigid plastic bending won't be real easy. It helped a little with sitting and stairs, but aesthetically I think it takes away from the overall look. Also if you don't strap it right it'll stick out and look like you've got a halfie under your cod-piece. :lol:

On my current suit (TE) I left it all in one and I haven't noticed a huge difference. I don't try to sit anymore since it is so uncomfortable to do in armor.

Too late, I have cut it just below the ab plate and along the line on the back plate. If I wanted to get deployment I would have hat to cut it anyway.

Not true. There is no requirement to cut the cod, as they were all one piece in the movies.

I have cut off my cod on my fx kit along the same line as the bottom of the belt but you cannot see the join when wearing the armour. I also changed the angle of the bottom horizontal part so its more like the other kits, going up at angle. May have to post a pic to show you what i mean.

I must have miss read something then......Oh no....got some glue anyone ;)

Well, thats no big deal, you gotta just do what works for you in the end :duim::salute:

Well, thats no big deal, you gotta just do what works for you in the end :duim::salute:

Amen to that. There's no saying you can't do it. In the end I really see it as a personal mod - it works out better for some, but not others. Which camp are you in? I guess you'll just have to try and see...as how will you know otherwise? If you end up not liking it, you can always reattach using spare ABS, or just shell out the $50 or so for a new ab plate.

Amen to that. There's no saying you can't do it. In the end I really see it as a personal mod - it works out better for some, but not others. Which camp are you in? I guess you'll just have to try and see...as how will you know otherwise? If you end up not liking it, you can always reattach using spare ABS, or just shell out the $50 or so for a new ab plate.

Or a good reason to get AP armour ;)

Or a good reason to get AP armour ;)

I like the way you think ;)

Mine is cut along the beltline , front and back . I've never worn an uncut suit , so I don't know how different it is , but I can pick my bucket up off the floor . That's about all I could really ask for . Sitting is easily done , but not comfortable . Getting up is much harder ;)