What white paint for AP armour - UK

Guys

Have a question, what white paint does one need to fix any mishaps on AP armour.

More specifically,this is a question for our UK troopers as I guess the stuff in the UK may be different from a branding point of view than the US....

Basically, it's gotta be white :D with that ABS shine to it.... I guess it will be enamel based and then polish up with Novus or something similar?

Thanks

Shiv

Yeah, Shiv -- what would you need to paint on AP armor? I'd think the Novus alone would be able to fix any small "mishaps". And a few dings can always be considered weathering. :D

I would think the problem with painting is that you'll likely never find a perfect match. If it's the helmet, not a problem -- since the originals were painted white and didn't truly match the ABS armor anyway. But any other part, and you'd likely be signing yourself up to paint the whole kit.

It's not anything major, what i've done is to pull apart the forearms which were poly welded together, and sanded down the inner forearms. I'm then gonna use the ANH strip method of joining them, but I will still have about 1/2 strip of sanded forearm showing. I guess I can just clear lacquer that part and maybe painting is not required..... any thoughts?

I'm sure someone else may know better than me, but if you have the three bottle Novus kit, you may be able to take care of the heavy scratches with it and then buff it out to look pretty normal.

It's not anything major, what i've done is to pull apart the forearms which were poly welded together, and sanded down the inner forearms. I'm then gonna use the ANH strip method of joining them, but I will still have about 1/2 to 1cm strip of sanded forearm showing. I guess I can just clear lacquer that part and maybe painting is not required..... any thoughts?

I keep hearing good things about NOVUS, but it's not easy to get here in the UK.

However, my local Harley Davidson shop stocks it, yippee, so i'm off later to get some...

Will get the No.1, No.2 and No.3....

Maybe my original idea of painting a 1/2cm strip is overkill..... lol

No painting needed for AP ABS .First off sand off the glue or lumps 100% then wet and dry paper the area.T-cut the area and finally T-cut the area and for good measure T-cut it.The plastic will buff up very nice.

:D Thanks Guys, I will follow Pete's advice, but good to know that Halford Appliance White is the one to use just in case...

T-Cut all the way, then when it's done T-Cut again, then polish up (not wit T-Cut) but with Novus 1.

FBJ, a picture would be lost as it's only a small area that is affected and to tell you the truth, one will not be able to tell on the photo anyway... however thanks for your advice guys....

This place Rocks!

• 2 weeks later...
It's not anything major, what i've done is to pull apart the forearms which were poly welded together, and sanded down the inner forearms. I'm then gonna use the ANH strip method of joining them, but I will still have about 1/2 strip of sanded forearm showing. I guess I can just clear lacquer that part and maybe painting is not required..... any thoughts?

I am not sure what poly welded means but is that a product that basically 'fuses' or 'welds' the two pcs together? I used a product we have in the US called Devco Plastic Weld (I think that is what it's called) to connect my forearm pcs and then I wanted to get them apart after the fact to use the ANH strip method but I was afraid I would ruin my forearms. They wouldn't really budge - seemed very permanent. Any tips for me? Do you think it would be possible to get them apart without ruining them?

Hi John

The plastic weld, does what it says on the tin... However I was able to pull my forearms apart (ouch) using a very sharp modelling knife, cutting into the welded plastic... bit by bit.... One thing though, it takes time and above all patience.... be careful you don't slice any of your fingers off in the process....!!! Oh another tool I used was one of those wooden spatula things.... the ones that doctor's shove into your mouth to keep your tongue down.... vere good to pry apart the plastic....

Then it was a question of sanding down using my Dremel and hey presto... job done....