PGHtrooper21's First AP build[*AP]

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went in to put in the lenses in my helmet. My lenses are from Runriott from FISD. A BIG THANKS to RUNRIOT and my prayers go out to him any everyone who is in Japan!

I used “Duct Tape†to put the lenses in. This will be temporary. I want to make something to slide the lenses in. I do not want to glue them in case I need to take them out. This would make it easier for cleaning. I also put a light under my helmet to show that the lens is green for EIB and Centurion.

007-9.jpg

008-8.jpg

009-8.jpg

010-8.jpg

011-8.jpg

012-8.jpg

015-7.jpg

013-7.jpg

014-7.jpg

015-7.jpg

021-8.jpg

I took some pictures with a light inside of my Helmet to show that the lenses are green. I decided not to install “Black Mesh†on the back of the frown. I did this for a couple of reasons. It is not screen accurate and to hopefully help with breathing.

095-3.jpg

096-3.jpg

097-3.jpg

098-3.jpg

099-3.jpg

100-3.jpg

101-3.jpg

102-3.jpg

103-3.jpg

I decided to make myself a Helmet display stand. I got my idea from a paper towel holder. I was just going to buy one from “Wally World, Target, Kmart, etc. But, I wanted one that when I put my helmet on it, there would be space between the base of the display to the bottom of my Helmet.

I got a wooden dowel from Home Depot, the Base and the knob is from Michaels. I bought a ¼ Dowling accessory kit from Harbor Freight Tools. The kit has wooded dowels, an Allen wrench, wooden dowels, centering pins and a stop collar to put on the drill bit so when the collar hits the wood when you are drilling the hole you know when to stop.

024-7.jpg

070-3.jpg

071-3.jpg

I put my tape measure inside of my Helmet and got a general measurement and marked off on the rod when I want it to be cut. Took the dowel and put in my vice and sawed it off. Then I got some sanding blocks and sanded the edges.

I then looked at the end where the wooden rod was cut by the manufacture and used that for the part that is going to be connected to the base. I then measured to find the center of the rod and mad an X and took one of the centering pins and tapped it down by the X to give me a pilot hole for the drill bit.

What is great about this kit is that you do not have to measure up the wooden dowels to a bit. They are the same size. I got one of the small dowels and put it on my measuring mat and measured the center and market it with a pencil. Then I got out the drill, put in the bit and took the small dowel with the markings and put the pencil mark by the drill tip and adjusted the collar to the end of the wooden dowel. I then put the rod into the vice and drilled the hole.

025-6.jpg

026-7.jpg

027-6.jpg

028-6.jpg

029-6.jpg

030-6.jpg

031-6.jpg

032-6.jpg

033-6.jpg

034-4.jpg

035-5.jpg

036-4.jpg

037-4.jpg

038-4.jpg

039-4.jpg

After I drilled the hole, I put the small wooden dowel into the hole. A good fit. Next, I took out the nob that goes on the top and put it into the vice and drilled a hole into to it. I did not need to make a pilot hole because there was a hole already in it. Then I checked to make sure that it lined up and how the fit was. Then I got out “Elmer’s Glue†and put some of the glue in the rod and insert the small wooden dowel and I put some glue in the knob and put them together. Then I let it sit a bit.

043-5.jpg

044-5.jpg

045-4.jpg

046-4.jpg

047-4.jpg

048-4.jpg

049-4.jpg

050-4.jpg

051-4.jpg

052-4.jpg

053-4.jpg

054-4.jpg

055-4.jpg

056-4.jpg

057-4.jpg

When I was working on the base, I found out that I bought the wrong size screws. The screws heads fit right through the hole on the base. So, I went looking for some screws around the house and I found some.

I also did not want the screw to scratch the surface where I place the stand and also to have the stand sit level. I want the screw to sit flush. So I got a drill bit index. And measured the screw with the various hole sizes of the “Drill Index†. This was to get the measure of the screw size for an idea of what bit to use for drilling the “Flush Hole†and for the screwâ€

I used a bigger size bit to drill a wider hole to make the screw sit flush and a little below the wood . Then a hole was drilled and I used my sanding sponges to smooth out the hole. Then I marked the center of the rod with an X and used the centering pins to make a pilot hole. I put the screw into to base to see how it fits and to measure how much the screw comes out of the base. Took the measurement and put on the collar and measure the distance and locked the collar and drilled the hole. I put some bits inside of the “Drill Bit Index†to show an idea how it is used. This stage I did not take as many pics as I wanted to.

069-3.jpg

074-3.jpg

075-3.jpg

076-3.jpg

077-3.jpg

078-3.jpg

079-3.jpg

080-3.jpg

081-3.jpg

082-3.jpg

083-3.jpg

084-3.jpg

085-3.jpg

086-4.jpg

087-3.jpg

I still have to put the Hovi’s and the S neck seal. I have Keith’s from FISD Hovi’s with the accurate mesh. I have the accurate S “neck seal†from Seals Direct. Also I have to paint the end of the screws white to finish my Helmet.

Some questions I still need help with.

1. Since the back of the tubes where you put the Hovi’s is real thin. Can you glue the Hovis? I know some have strengthened the back with paste. I am concerned about the toxins that are in the paste. The reason when I am breathing the back of the Hovi area where the paste is, that is close to my mouth.

2. I need to trim the bottom of my Helmet. It is very tight. With the addition of the S neck seal, the space will be smaller. How far should I trim? Should I trim just the back part and not the front part? Or can you trim both parts?

126-2.jpg

127-2.jpg

128-2.jpg

129-2.jpg

131-1.jpg

132-1.jpg

133-1.jpg

125-2.jpg

I think you need to trim back to where the ears meet the bottom of the helmet.

So definitely trim the back of the helmet, as for the front, maybe trim on a bit of an angle so that the front isn't cut too much, but you still get the bottom of the helmet flush with the bottom of the ears.

I have glued my S-trim on so I can't show you exactly how mine is, but I can show you how much I have trimmed roughly.

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

My helmet is a different make (MTK) but still, the idea is the same.

Hope this helps mate. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The next step to completing my helmet is putting on the "S Trim" I ordered another 'S Trim" seal from Seals Direct. I somehow misplaced the one that I have. So I ordered 1 meter from them. As I found out with Screen linage helmets that they are small and you have to twist them to get on. I was thinking I have to trim off some plastic arround the edges in order to put my helmet on.

With the "S Trim" you have an added "5 mm" thickness arround the neck. So I took out my tape measure and measured the thickness of the "S Trim" from the edge of the Trim to the center and I got about "5mm". I also put the "S Trim" on the helmet to measure how much I need to trim off arround the end of the ears. The ammount that I need to trim off varried from "5 cm to 10 cm" So I grabbed a No. 2 pencil and started to measure off the markingsarround the ears. I made markings from the edge up. Also I measured arround the back of the helmet and marked off "1 mm" from one ear to the other. After that I got my "Curved Plastic Scissors" to begin to do the trim.

I started off by making some small cuts so I can get the scissors into place. Then I just went at it and started to trim away. With the Scissors being curved, it helped with the shape of cutting. Althouth there was some areas where I was having some problems. But, after taking my time I cut the amount that I needed. Also, I trimmed som of the front part off too as well.

When that was done, I put on the helmet and there was much difference in putting on the helmet. It was not tight anymore. I put on and took off the "S Trim" arround the edges a few times for more touch ups and when I thought I had it I cut the "S Trim" and put it in place. I cut off a few inches longer so that it would stay in place. It has. I put on the Helmet and It feels at lot better. I do not have to twist it that much to put it on.

I would reccomment ordering "1 Meter" of "S Trim". I got this tip from a person in the UKG. You will have enough to put on after you cut and trim the Helmet. After I cut the "S Trim" I had about a little over a foot left over.

001-13.jpg

002-13.jpg

005-13.jpg

006-12.jpg

006-12.jpg

008-11.jpg

010-11.jpg

016-9.jpg

018-8.jpg

019-9.jpg

020-9.jpg

021-10.jpg

023-8.jpg

024-8.jpg

026-9.jpg

The next day I wanted to put on the "Hovis". I ordered the tips from "Slunky" in the UKG. I ordered them in a kit form. The reason why

I am thinking of installing speakers inside of the "Hovis" down the road. I went to get out the drill and the drill bits. I also got out the drill bit

chart to size up the size bit that I need. I then started to place where I want the "Hovi" to sit. When I decided on the location I place the back

part of the "Hovi" in place and try to hold it in place while I got the drill and drilled a hole. I squeezed slowly. I did not want the plastic to split

nor did I want the back of the 'Hovi" to move. It is a little tricky to hold it in place.

After the hole was drilled, I got the screw and put it in the plastic and grabbed the nut and begin to lock it into place. After that was done, I began

to repeat the same process on the other side. So far so good. The "Hovi's" stayed on.

042-8.jpg

044-7.jpg

045-6.jpg

046-6.jpg

047-6.jpg

048-6.jpg

049-6.jpg

050-6.jpg

051-6.jpg

052-6.jpg

053-6.jpg

054-6.jpg

055-6.jpg

056-6.jpg

057-6.jpg

ordered a "Green Lense" from "Trooperbay". I saw a nice mod Mike did and he posted a video

of how to install a green lense. After watching the video a few times to get a idea of how he did it

I decided to give it a go.

The first thing I needed to do was to remove the "Chin Straps" from the helmet. I remove dthe screws

and washers and put them aside. I placed the lense inside the helmet where I wanted it to be. I try to

make sure that the lense covers both eyes and there is enough room on each side for space. Also, I

push the lense as close to the eyes as I can. Once I feel comfortable. I then press with my fingers as

hard as I can to make indentation in to the lense. I then take ot the lense and then make a hole in it.

I do not have a drill press so I used my hole puncher to press a hole in it. After I made a hole, I placed

the lense back in side to get the other screw indentation and punch out a hole. I was lucky that the hole]

pucher had the right size hole. When I placed the lense in it fit just perfect. Although, I had to repunch a

a hole because I moved the lense.

After the left side was finished I repeated the process on the other side. Keep pressing taking out and

resetting the lense back in place till it was finished. Then I got a "No.2" Pencil and marked out the edges

arround the eyes and took out the lense again and cut out allong the markings with the "Curved Plastic Scissors"

and placed the lens back in again. I then placed washers back on the screws. I placed the chin straps back on,

and placed the nuts back on the screws and locked them into place with a "Screwdriver".

069-5.jpg

070-5.jpg

071-5.jpg

072-5.jpg

073-5.jpg

074-5.jpg

075-5.jpg

076-5.jpg

077-5.jpg

078-5.jpg

079-5.jpg

080-5.jpg

081-5.jpg

082-5.jpg

085-4.jpg

After, I was done installing the lense I got out my "Testors White Paint", some thinner,

a Flathead Brush, some toothpicks, latex gloves, a piece of papertowel, and some newspaper.

I laid ot the newspaper, put on the latex gloves got the bottle of paint and shook it up

for two minutes. After that I opened up the bottle of paint and took out a toothpick and

stirred up the paint for two minutes one way and for two minutes for the opposite way.

I repeated the process and began to paint the screws.

097-4.jpg

098-4.jpg

099-4.jpg

100-4.jpg

101-4.jpg

102-4.jpg

103-4.jpg

104-3.jpg

105-3.jpg

106-3.jpg

107-3.jpg

108-3.jpg

109-2.jpg

110-3.jpg

111-3.jpg

Here is my AP Helmet next to my store bought helmet that I got back in 94 or 95? I remember reading about the Don Post Helmets in “Starlog Magazineâ€. They were I believe $50.00 U.S... If anyone who had one remembers the plastic smell from the inside of the helmet! When looking at both of the helmets you

Can see why it is WORTH INVESTING in this hobby to achieve Centurion Status!

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/pghtrooper21/001-14.jpg[/img]

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/pghtrooper21/002-14.jpg[/img]

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/pghtrooper21/003-13.jpg[/img]

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/pghtrooper21/004-11.jpg[/img]

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/pghtrooper21/006-13.jpg[/img]