PGHtrooper21's First AP build[*AP]

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up I painted the vocoder. I got a pencil and drew some guidelines on the lines of the vocoder to give me a reference of how far to go with the paint. I used “Testors Gloss Blackâ€. When painting I used a “No. 6 Round Brush†I was trying to stay within my pencil lines. I did get carried away which I will touch up.

069.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

When I went to paint the tube stripes I got 2 pencils. One to put along the tube for spacing the “Stencil Template†and the other to mark lines where I where place the “Templateâ€. Trying to line up the “template†was interesting. Since the tube is more round I kept replacing the “template and try to line it up. Once I had the “template†where I wanted it. I used my fingernail to rub out the “air bubbles†and use “blue painters†tape to secure and to prevent paint from going on areas that I do not want paint to go. I used “Testors Model Masters French Blue†paint and a flat brush with the similar brush strokes as I did with the “traps and Tearsâ€. I painted the top to center and bottom to center. After I finished painting, I left the helmet to sit for an hour.

After an hour, I removed the tape and the “templateâ€. I was really impressed with the results. I still have to do some touch ups.

083.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

004-5.jpg

080.jpg

Something I found handy for doing touch ups. There was a few times when I bumped my brush on an area that I did not want to get paint on. So I used these microbrushes with thinner to “Dab†the area and used a paper towel to dry the area. Also, having a candle burning in the background; helps with controlling the fumes from going all over.

012-2.jpg

001-7.jpg

Next up is the ears. The ears are tricky. You have to paint so far back with Grey and then draw a Black line around them without touching the sides. After looking at some helmet pics from “Starwarshelmets.com†I decided to go at it.

I was studying the area where the side meets the “bumps of the ears. It is similar to looking at where the wall meets the ceiling, where you see the line where they meet. I got a no. 2 pencil and drew a line around each ear a little back from the side and the ear. I did this on the other ear as well. Then I got my paints and grabbed “Testors 1138 Grey†and shook up the bottle for a few minutes and stirred it with a toothpick. I used a “No. ‘2’ Flat Head Brushâ€. This is to help when painting to the pencil edge mark. I also put some blue paint on the sides of the ears to prevent accidental paint marks on them.

I started with the sides working from the pencil line towards the “bumpsâ€. I just kept going slowly. Also, when dipping the brush unto the paint bottle. I wiped the excess paint of so I would not get any drips that would run down the side of the Helmet. Also I followed Mike from Trooperbay to hold and secure the Helmet in my lap. This helped out very much.

After, I finished a side I continued with the top, the other side and the bottom. When this was completed I then filled in the bumps to complete it. And then took of the tape and repeat on the other side. Then I let the Helmet sit to dry.

077-1.jpg

021-6.jpg

022-5.jpg

023-5.jpg

024-5.jpg

025-4.jpg

026-5.jpg

027-4.jpg

028-4.jpg

029-4.jpg

030-4.jpg

031-4.jpg

032-4.jpg

033-4.jpg

035-3.jpg

Next up, I decided to create the “Star Foam†for inside the Helmet. I went to Joann Fabrics to get some Foam. I found some. I picked up some “1 inch†foam. I want to say thanks to Jessie, Vern and the others who replied back to help with the details of the foam. I decided to go with Jessie’s version from RS Props Helmet.

To make the “Star Foam Templateâ€. I got out my, “cutting mat, Two pieces of 8 ½ by 11 paper, scissors, foam, no 2. Pencil, tape measure, and a Sharpie. First I marked two points “17 inches†apart and using Jessie’s drawing I drew a line from one point to the other. Then trying to judge the distance I drew the bottom two points. After a few erases and corrections, I got my results. Then I got my scissors and cut out the “Star Templateâ€. After I cut out the “Template†I place the “Template on the “foam†and used the Sharpie to trace the pattern on the foam. When this was finished, I cut out the “Starâ€. I then trimmed some excess. Then I placed the “Star Foam†In my Helmet. Well, what do you think?

078-1.jpg

079-1.jpg