How much asymmetry was really there?

An interesting question came up when looking over my TE2. As we know the biceps are completely different, as are the forearms, as are the shins, and even the thighs. Heck, all the limbs are different from right to left.

How much of this was true on the original suits and how much is just that the suit it was derived from was incomplete and some parts guessed at, or were from the ROTJ tour which may not have been true to the ANH ones?

Were the original ANH suits mirrors right to left? I'd think if so at some point 1/2 of the limbs of TE-derived suits (TE/TE2/AP/Gino, etc.) would just be tossed and the other half mirrored.

Remember the right forearm and left bicep of the TE/TE2 armor are off a tour suit and not based on a screen sued suit. In regards to the different number of dimples on the screen used forearms Brian Muir said that he simply miscounted. Hopfully he will chime in on the rest.

If you look at screen shots of the suits extras and heros some troopers are all mixed up two left forarms two of the same shoulder bells etc.

the suits i believe were made from a body cast and we as people are far from Symmetrical .I can only speak about my TM and like you say every part differs from left to right ,but it fits like a glove and fels right.

So i think the answer is that they were made that way from the body cast on the orig suits.

Every part of the original ANH armour is unique (except the drop boxes on the belt). Brian may have tried to sculpt the arms and legs symetrical, but I remember him saying something along the lines of "I would sculpt each part (or parts) and they would be cast by the plasterers" so I am assuming that he may have not had the opposite side of the arms and legs to use as reference to get them symetrical or mirrored. Plus, it may have not even been an issue at the time, as long as they 'looked' the same? The arms and legs are all different sizes and not the same for left and right.

The TE2 armour is a mix and match. If I remember correctly, the original TE ANH was different from the TE2 as new moulds were made a few years back. The lost parts were added from a tour suit as well as other parts which were scratch built when the original ROTJ was recast. The new moulds that were made were altered and lost some of original look. This is only for the body armour though, not the helmet, which is fantastic! I think the TE2 armour is a 3rd or 4th generation recast of the original ROTJ while the helmet is a 1st generation recast of the original ANH helmet.

troopermaster said:
Every part of the original ANH armour is unique (except the drop boxes on the belt). Brian may have tried to sculpt the arms and legs symetrical, but I remember him saying something along the lines of "I would sculpt each part (or parts) and they would be cast by the plasterers" so I am assuming that he may have not had the opposite side of the arms and legs to use as reference to get them symetrical or mirrored. Plus, it may have not even been an issue at the time, as long as they 'looked' the same? The arms and legs are all different sizes and not the same for left and right.

The TE2 armour is a mix and match. If I remember correctly, the original TE ANH was different from the TE2 as new moulds were made a few years back. The lost parts were added from a tour suit as well as other parts which were scratch built when the original ROTJ was recast. The new moulds that were made were altered and lost some of original look. This is only for the body armour though, not the helmet, which is fantastic! I think the TE2 armour is a 3rd or 4th generation recast of the original ROTJ while the helmet is a 1st generation recast of the original ANH helmet.

This is true when I owned one of TE's first run suits the very first he offered, Not only was the armor bigger then TE2 OR even Later TE armors there where lil bumps details. Even on the helmet That I have not seen in any of the armors offered now. Could be deformity from over heated plastic? IDK for sure I'm no trooper master lol. There where 3 bumps behind the right ear cap in almost a perfect triangle if you where to connect the dots so to speak that have not seen again in any later helmet TE,AP or other wise. Sorry if my post was OT...

NT1fpC4.jpg

aMY3FiI.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

An interesting question came up when looking over my TE2. As we know the biceps are completely different, as are the forearms, as are the shins, and even the thighs. Heck, all the limbs are different from right to left.

How much of this was true on the original suits and how much is just that the suit it was derived from was incomplete and some parts guessed at, or were from the ROTJ tour which may not have been true to the ANH ones?

Were the original ANH suits mirrors right to left? I'd think if so at some point 1/2 of the limbs of TE-derived suits (TE/TE2/AP/Gino, etc.) would just be tossed and the other half mirrored.

Hi Paul,

Just to confirm that the original ANH Stormtrooper armour was mirrored (handed) i.e. leg and arm pieces had a left and right.

Brian

Thank you sir! Now I'm wondering which were the original pieces, and which were added later as far as this make of armor goes.

As far as I know, the missing parts from the original ROTJ armour that was recast was missing the full belt assembly (canister, main belt and drop boxes), knee plate, thigh box strap, shoulder straps, inner left shin, inner left forearm, inner left bicep, outer right bicep, outer right forearm.

The arm and leg pieces were doubled up from the existing parts to make up the complete set. All the other parts were scratch built. Later, the doubled up parts were replaced with parts from a Tour Suit. The TE2 moulds have been remade a few times during their lifetime, and each time losing the original lineage.

As far as the original armour, the arms and legs are handed, just not identically mirrored.