Hardened Leather for TK Armor

Parquette

Like the title says... 

I've been upgrading my R1TK armor, and by trade I am a leather holster worker. I have to do the wet moulding, dying, all of it. This all means that I've once or twice looked at the flexible urethane TK's of the new films/shows, and thought, "surely hardened leather would work as a budget flexible substitute for the expensive urethane?" So before I go and make some parts, resubmit my armor for approval and hope no one notices, I come here for y'all's two cents: Could there be a future where if the leather was prepared right, painted right, and accurate, that it could be approvable?

Especially considering there are ways to remove the leather surface grain, and painting a consistent glossy surface (think techniques painters use on rubber parts of Iron Man cosplays).  It wouldn't be anything like foam cosplays, since there's less room for precise details.

That would be a question for your GML as he/she/they/them look after base legion approval, for higher levels the @Deployment Officer Team may chime in, but it would be hard to comment on something that they can't see, a test piece may be a good option to move forward.

I guess it all comes down to the finish and how much work would go into making these pieces. 

Problem I find with painting anything that may have some flex is cracking of the paint, I also wonder how it would look if damaged, scratched or chipped.

Love to see a test piece.

• Like 2

It is certainly a curious idea. I'm intrigued. And would 2nd Glen's comment. Maybe try making one if the smaller pieces as a test and see what it looks like. Maybe hand guards or the cod pieces.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Awesome. I think the main areas of concern for flex on a given R1TK/FOTK/Remnant would be the thighs, shins, and cod. This is why leather pieces would be great substitutes (even allow sitting) If a chest piece was made, that'd be even better. 

Will report back with pics once I get a good test piece 

Edited by Parquette
  • Like 1

Chests definitely twists and can rip. Good example of the thighs and chest bending

large.mandalorian2x06_1180.jpg.d0ff6f4c8949ea6b571c093875ea9740.thumb.jpg.db46dedb5807ba1a1933a12e61b9e0f7.jpg

• Like 1