Middle-aged newbie

Hello everyone. I wanted to first say thank you to everyone on this platform. As a newbie to this (trying to decide what to build, etc.) I've literally spend the last few months diving down this rabbit hole of information. It's was a little overwhelming at first, but as I started getting more knowledgable about the information layout it definitely got easier. And I'm very appreciative of the knowledge you have all been willing to share, especially for people like me who are just getting into this. I've been to a few of the build parties with my local chapter, helped volunteer at some of their events and I couldn't be more excited to start the process myself. I just got my TK kit in (much to the surprise and chagrin of my wife haha), but in truth she thinks it's pretty cool, and I can't wait to get started building it. Thanks again.

• Like 3

Hello and welcome aboard, research is the key and sounds like you are off to a good start. Looking forward to seeing a build thread from you soon :D

Welcome! Itā€™s great to hear that youā€™ve already had a great experience on the boards! As youā€™ve already discovered, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and many troopers will be ready to help guide you through your build!

Might I ask which TK youā€™re building, and what armor kit you purchased? Nothing better than BBB day (other than approval day)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate it. I've decided to go with the TK (Stunt) from ANH, and I purchased my build kit from RS Propmasters. I've been watching their build videos on YouTube and found them very insightful and interesting. I've also been watching a few others on top of reading the threads on this site. I know there's definitely a lot more that goes into the process, but my OCD is ready for the challenge haha. I was initially torn on whether to do stunt or hero, but the stunt spoke to me and seemed like a the best fit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bunkermulligan said:

Ā I was initially torn on whether to do stunt or hero, but the stunt spoke to me and seemed like a the best fit.

With changing out a helmet and a few other pieces you could do both ;)

Ā 

Great spreadsheet on the differences between versions

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

• Like 1

Congrats on BBB Day! I can't wait to see your build thread!Ā 

Best of luck to you and be sure to ask questions. No matter how silly you may think they are.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here ready to help.

• Like 1

Looking forward to your build thread Matthew.

Middle-aged fear not, it is possibly our largest demographic, one of which I and several of the staff here are proud to be part of :)

• Like 1

Good to have you here Matthew! Make sure to enjoy the feeling (even if it can be scary) and the ride that you'll go on! How do you feel about getting started?

The RS videos are definitely helpful! My only advise in using them as a guide is that in the videos the RS team continually lists off circumference measurements of the arm and leg pieces, and it's important to remember to fit the armor to your own body, as opposed to the generic measurements used in the film production. I would also recommend using E-6000 as your adhesive, since it's much more forgiving than the CA glue that RS uses. Since you're already used to information overload, I'll go ahead and dump this resource thread on you.Ā :D

Ā 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

Ā 

p.s. I'm not sure if I'm middle aged yet, but if not, I suspect I'm getting closer to it. Haha.

Welcome!

Ā 

Starting a build thread is always a great way to show your progress through pictures and ask any questions you have about your build! I can attest to the vast array of knowledge here on anything related to stormtroopers! FISD is a super helpful and supportive community!

I really do appreciate all of your advice, and I'll definitely be dropping a line as I go along for more of it. I'm starting today with the biceps and will progress from there slowly but surely. I feel those will be a good point to start from working with measurements and cutting strips, etc. I am definitely excited to start the process, but there is truth to what I've been told when in comes to making that first cut...I want to throw up. haha. I'm guessing that's normal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bunkermulligan said:

I really do appreciate all of your advice, and I'll definitely be dropping a line as I go along for more of it. I'm starting today with the biceps and will progress from there slowly but surely. I feel those will be a good point to start from working with measurements and cutting strips, etc. I am definitely excited to start the process, but there is truth to what I've been told when in comes to making that first cut...I want to throw up. haha. I'm guessing that's normal.

You may this helpful

Ā 

Ā 

When in doubt check the reference galleryĀ https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/19-ottk-reference/

Ā 

There are no silly questions, only silly mistakes for not asking a question, don't be afraid to askĀ ;)Ā 

Ā 

Good luck with the build

This is extremely helpful. Thank you. I've already started the sizing/trimming process and was worried I was taking too much off. My arms are a little bigger so I'm having to thin out the edges quite a bit to get a comfortable fit. Looking at reference photos online when I started were a good start but the ones you just provided give me a lot more confidence with what I am doing.

• Like 1