TK ANH STUNT by TKMC

TKMC

Armor: Walt's Trooper Factory -WTF

Neckseal: Trooperstore

Undersuit: Trooperstore - Brand: Extreme Racing

Gloves: Trooperstore - Cotton blend with Velcro on back - may swap out for Rubber - though Ozzi gets hot and sweaty.

Belt: Trooperstore - Brand: Extreme Racing

E11 Holster: Trooperstore

Balaclava: TBA

Boots: TBA - foot size and supplier TBC.

Blaster: Options and budget pending

Audio: Audio System w/ICOMM voice modulator UkswrathsSpecialty

Cooling: Dual Helmet Cooling Fans: Henry's Cooling Fans - Trooperbayshop

After some months researching and purchasing supplies, parts, paints, glues and tools, measuring twice and cutting some other time. Finally bit the bullet and started on the hand guards.

1. First Cut: Hand Guards. No Pics - 

2. Detonator: Studied (BillHag’s TK-1650) Billagrams for measurements. THERMAL DETONATOR ASSEMBLY HOW TO by TK bondservnt, and justjoseph63 Quick Reference Guide for OT TK.

Spent some time getting my head around cutting down to size on a curved/round surface. Detonator caps at approx. 20 cm achieved by taping the Dremel on a solid upright at the right height and simply turning the caps.

Had some difficulty working out how to cut a straight line on a curved line of the detonator. 

Made a bad cut using a Dremel on the side length - had to fix with additional cut using a knife and ruler. Perhaps what I should have used in the first place.

My dimension on the curve is 95mm as per approximate guideline - however (last Pic) I have a bevel line - do I crop down to 90-92mm?

Big Brown Box.jpg

Stormtrooper full kit layout portrait.jpg

Detonator Pre Cut Research.jpg

Detonator End Cap Measuring.jpg

Detonator End Cap Cutting.jpg

Detonator End Caps Cut.jpg

Detonator Bad side cut.jpg

Detonator Side cut to fix.jpg

Detonator Side cut.jpg

Detonator Side Bevell concern.jpg

Edited by TKMC
  • Like 2

Looking good so far, Philip!  You are right at the 20mm mark on those endcaps, so just some light sanding and you are golden!

Yes, I would take that small ridge off.  The entire plate should sit flush against the tube.

lT9cumj.jpg

Keep in mind when mounting the face plate that for Basic approval and above that the "button" row should face toward the back.  ;)

iQWXKnS.jpg

• Like 1

Great to see the reference material in the background.

Looking forward to seeing the progress

• Like 1

Detonator Question:

The metal bar - I have dimensions of 215mm long (8 1/2”) and 30mm wide.

What should the depth be?

I have a 25mm wide 1” bar and 1.2 mm deep (0.042”) the depth seems about right - as in fairly flush to the detonator caps.

For the life of me - other than importing from GB, Just can’t to find 30mm wide by 1mm or so bar.

Width of belt and size of pipe depends on how long the clips should be on the belt side, on the pipe side you want to make sure the holes are close to the control panel and the TD rotated enough to see the O detail from the back,. You don't want to see clips under the belt.

TDmeasurements.jpg.e7864c0c776966fb5217784817b84ad9.jpg

TD.jpg.38cdbe84703c8456d2ae6a20e295ac99.jpg

MCkPq9g.png  ENBGgGW.jpg?1  eXtIssr.jpg?2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 5:22 PM, TKMC said:

Armor: Walt's Trooper Factory -WTF

Neckseal: Trooperstore

Undersuit: Trooperstore - Brand: Extreme Racing

Gloves: Trooperstore - Cotton blend with Velcro on back - may swap out for Rubber - though Ozzi gets hot and sweaty.

Belt: Trooperstore - Brand: Extreme Racing

E11 Holster: Trooperstore

Balaclava: TBA

Boots: TBA - foot size and supplier TBC.

Blaster: Options and budget pending

Audio: Audio System w/ICOMM voice modulator UkswrathsSpecialty

Cooling: Dual Helmet Cooling Fans: Henry's Cooling Fans - Trooperbayshop

After some months researching and purchasing supplies, parts, paints, glues and tools, measuring twice and cutting some other time. Finally bit the bullet and started on the hand guards.

1. First Cut: Hand Guards. No Pics - 

2. Detonator: Studied (BillHag’s TK-1650) Billagrams for measurements. THERMAL DETONATOR ASSEMBLY HOW TO by TK bondservnt, and justjoseph63 Quick Reference Guide for OT TK.

Spent some time getting my head around cutting down to size on a curved/round surface. Detonator caps at approx. 20 cm achieved by taping the Dremel on a solid upright at the right height and simply turning the caps.

Had some difficulty working out how to cut a straight line on a curved line of the detonator. 

Made a bad cut using a Dremel on the side length - had to fix with additional cut using a knife and ruler. Perhaps what I should have used in the first place.

My dimension on the curve is 95mm as per approximate guideline - however (last Pic) I have a bevel line - do I crop down to 90-92mm?

Big Brown Box.jpg

Stormtrooper full kit layout portrait.jpg

Detonator Pre Cut Research.jpg

Detonator End Cap Measuring.jpg

Detonator End Cap Cutting.jpg

Detonator End Caps Cut.jpg

Detonator Bad side cut.jpg

Detonator Side cut to fix.jpg

Detonator Side cut.jpg

Detonator Side Bevell concern.jpg

Trimmed sanded and ready for painting.

ujA0cnl.jpg

Worked out how to cut a straight level pipe without cashing out on one expensive plumbing tool. Used a pipe wall bracket as straight line guide and a wood saw.
Not a bad Result.

nMSPe6f.jpg

KdeGYuC.jpg

NOTE TO SELF: Rushing to get a job done takes longer than doing the job properly.
Initially I went straight in and spray painted the pipe after masking up - of course when I peeled the tape, half the paint came off too and had to strip it all and start again - this time properly. 1. Sand pipe. 2. Clean pipe. 3. Tape up. 4. Coat with primer. 5. Lightly sand. 6. repeat with top coats x2. 7. Carefully pull off tape.

Fj9Mihu.jpg

eJdbmaC.jpg

FmSbQiG.jpg

Ready to assemble -Thats as far as it has got - waiting on 30mm x 2mm x length of metal bar to arrive before I move to final assembly - Thanks to all contributors and reference materials, video tutorials and a little bit of trial and error, its getter there.

CsVuFvn.jpg

Edited by TKMC

Shoulder Straps:

Using AJ Hamler's guide was extremely useful.

As WTF's shoulder straps come flat and joined there was a bit of extra work to be done.

I found it easier to tape done the straps initially and use a steel ruler to cut down the middle to separate the two straps.

3etCGgS.jpg

Next was to roughly trim the outer edges.

KVzViZb.jpg

Looking for a smooth underside to adhere to the extra strip of ABS I used the Dremel and sandpaper to remove the injection mold bumps.

YQkDCUY.jpg

I cut two strips of ABS to the shoulder strap dimensions and initially, being a tad nervous used some hot water to test how well the two would bend.

29y18uJ.jpg

XMilDSB.jpg

Happy with the initial test results, I proceeded with a small pot and boiling water with clamps to hold the straps in place.

It is of note the strap and paired backing plate were immersed and clamped at the same time, they shaped specifically to its pair and could not be swapped with the other.

gVFKbwK.jpg

Il3y7QJ.jpg

Next comes glue and clamps, followed by edge affixing and trimming to size. 

vOmKt87.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 3:27 PM, TKMC said:

Ready to assemble -Thats as far as it has got - waiting on 30mm x 2mm x length of metal bar to arrive before I move to final assembly - Thanks to all contributors and reference materials, video tutorials and a little bit of trial and error, its getter there.

CsVuFvn.jpg

On 1/16/2024 at 3:27 PM, TKMC said:

xcK8MYx.jpg

Forward three steps back four!

Enough to say something that looks straight forward, may be deceiving. 

Back to square one. Placement of the detonator panel with E6000 a, a painted tube and a panel that just won't sit flush.

Led to one hell of a mess. So much so I had to strip the pipe of its paint and start again with the paint masking, repainting and clean up the panel too. It would be so much easier if we had grey pipe down here in the antipodes.

Before doing so I will try immersing the panel in boiling water and wrap it around the pipe to see if i can obtain a better fit this time. 

Also why do some say the metal bar should be 30mm and the CRL 25mm?

Wish me luck and welcome any other suggestions.

10 minutes ago, TKMC said:

Also why do some say the metal bar should be 30mm and the CRL 25mm?

• The thermal detonator is attached via metal or metallic-appearing clips, approximately 1" (25mm) wide.

It's an approximate size to cover those that use Imperial or metric

Here's the actual sizing

gallery_12157_59_153130.thumb.jpg.d046809302663e46b9bd983571d433fb.jpggallery_12157_59_205488.thumb.jpg.ed37df444db7b508f4182d3e4bba153d.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 1:26 PM, TKMC said:

After stripping the paint sanding and cleaning the detonator panel... E6000 glue panel to pipe, trimmed any over glue once dry. Masked the ends and panel ready for under coat, sand, over coat, sand, final coat. allow to dry at each stage. Peel tape. voila. Minor paint edges to fix with a fine paint brush on edge of panel. Caps placed. Measurements match the guide - cap to panel 12mm, all the way around, though the panel in the right and top looks out of place - optical illusion or do they appear out of whack? qFi0l1r.jpg

7n7CWvs.jpgNeZIVR5.jpgVn6yfs8.jpgmEMY6Bx.jpg

mEMY6Bx.thumb.jpg.4a4b69317de43b6a2007072cec3b3b4e.jpg

Looks like a slightly bigger gap between the end plates and control panel. A few of the makers use a smaller pipe than others which can make this gap appear larger.

Note the 12mm gap mentioned in this reference

CsVuFvn.jpg

TD measurements.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Shoulder Bells, Biceps and Arms: While recuperating from minor surgery, I discovered RS Props, U-Tube videos, I think I've made some good progress - from initial trimming to a point where I can consider cover strips and final sanding and shaping - welcome your thought before I start sticking things together.

Om9E4cX.jpg

HYMVruB.jpg

These bits are hard to cut this way... apparently a Dremel is way easier.

CruMRYP.jpg

u8BWYBR.jpg

j80YUqi.jpg

I found measuring and ruling the marker line quite effective with good matches when placing the two halves together.

Once I found the overall measurements on the top and bottom parts of each (based on a 14 inch bicep) I was away.

bgXF8jb.jpg

Trusty sawhorse and a nice thick straight piece of aluminum, plus a sharp knife with clamps, became my best friends. 

TsPLc1m.jpg

So this is where I'm at today. 

On the to do list,

1. Rough sanding

2. Remove pencil marks

3. Cut, sand and apply side strips

4. Dremmel / Hamd sand - take out the returns, rough edges etc

fC9dlS2.jpg

2IWsYqj.jpg

uOxA9kV.jpg

Shoulder bells I trimmed some time ago - Biceps and forearms fit nicely. Will need to see where the shoulder bells fit into the overall layout. May need an extra trim, though will wait until I've got the chest plates underway.

Welcome your thoughts. 

MlTIO5y.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TKMC said:

These bits are hard to cut this way... apparently a Dremel is way easier.

I've always had to leave jagged edges of excess material when trying to get my clippers around curves. I usually go back and cut away almost all of the remaining excess with an Xacto knife and then sand tiny bit of remaining excess away. That is a bit more time consuming than what others do, so many here will recommend a Dremel for that. 

The cover strips for the biceps are commonly the same width as the forearm cover strips, so 15mm would be the typical width for both. I say that as I see your notes indicate 12mm for the bicep cover strips. 

• Like 1

Excellent pick up - thanks 

I noted the 12mm from a uTube press and later hunted down and found on Whitearmour a thread where someone kindly listed the strip sizes for all cover strips. TBF it was that thread which gave me the confidence to soldier on.

Edited by TKMC
Wrong link removed to source of cover strip sizes
  • Like 1