Incinerator trooper looking for bright orange leds (and how to work them

Hello there,

Still working on the remnants incinerator, just go my microfogger machine, which I plan to hide in my backpack. To complete the "flame" effect I would like to add orange leds to the flamethrower muzzle. I don't know the first thing about electronics though so I am not sure what exactly I should be looking for.

See microfogger in action :  

I have a 3D printed flamethrower (see included file) and I assume I could hide some leds in the muzzle fairly easily. What should I get ?

gun assembly.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Startide said:

Thanks a bunch, what else do I need to power those babies ?

Depends on what batteries you will be using, generally I am using 5V power source and use 1K resistors 

This may be of help

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/blog/atm-how-to-select-a-resistor-for-an-led

• Like 1

Well I am trying to give a "flame" look to that smoke, so kinda bright I reckon. But then it's not an industrial smoke machine either. I have picked up the ones recommended by gmrhodes, we shall see how that turns out ;)

Thanks again for the support guys !

• Like 1

Perhaps a combination of brighter and dimmer LED's, again this can be controlled via resistors.

You could also use an Arduino board and write some code to get it to flicker irregularly depending on how far you want to take it.

Add a sound board, a speaker and a micro SD reader and add some funky flamethrower sounds even.

Sky is the limit, like the work this member did in creating a set-up for his E-11

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:19 AM, Startide said:

Well I am trying to give a "flame" look to that smoke, so kinda bright I reckon. But then it's not an industrial smoke machine either. I have picked up the ones recommended by gmrhodes, we shall see how that turns out ;)

Thanks again for the support guys !

If you want some guidance, a few of use here know our way round an LED and a microcontroller.

If you want to really whole butt it, Neopixels are an option and would allow for animated lighting effects.

• Like 1

I sure could use guidance, just got my leds and resistors, but they don't seem that bright to me. Have to take some pictures or make a drawing of the thrower, that will make more sense of what I am trying to achieve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Startide said:

I sure could use guidance, just got my leds and resistors, but they don't seem that bright to me. Have to take some pictures or make a drawing of the thrower, that will make more sense of what I am trying to achieve

Do you have a link to what you ordered and I’ll be able to tell you why they are dim. 

• Like 1

Here is the spec chart for those:

See42693758d64bd0be46aafa0e8771ee4.jpg

The numbers we care about are the Vf (Forward Voltage, the amount of Voltage the LED will "use" essentially), Luminous Intensity (measured in mini Candela) and the Current rating (If).

The max current for them all is 20mA (milli Amps, 1000ths of an Amp).  It's not the voltage that kills and LED, with in reasonable values anyway, it's the current.  Which is why we use a current limiting resistor.

Brightness is 600-800mcd (red/yellow) which is what I would call a "bright" LED.  So better than the one on your TV standby but it's not going to blind you.  Orange is much better at 5000-6000 which is in the "super bright" sort of range and will have you seeing spots if you look right at it.  For reference the white ones they use for torches will be in the 10,000-30,0000 range and they will be using a around 10 or more of them, the one in your TV is something like 50-65mcd.

By adjusting the current with the resistor we can change how bright they get, we just have to keep it under 20mA as much past that and they burn out very fast.  More resistance, less current, dimmer LED.

If we make the assumption of a 2V Vf for them all (which is close enough here and inside all of their quoted ranges) and 5v supply to get max brightness you want a 150ohm resistor (of at least a 1/8w rating).

Whilst I can do the maths for this it's tedious, so I tend to just use this web site: https://ledcalculator.net/#p=5&v=2&c=20&n=1&o=w 

What voltage are you using to power them, and what is the value of the currently limiting resistor you are using?

• Like 2

It's not what I would choose, but it should work.  2 AA in series will give between 2.4 and about 3.2v depending on if you're using rechargeable or brand new Duracells.  

The biggest issue is you will need a very low value resistor, around 51ohms.  If you're using anything larger than that then you will be losing brightness.

Would be good to see how you have things set up.