Trying to Identify a Suit I Purchased

Hello all,

I purchased a suit of Stormtrooper armor I found on Facebook marketplace. The seller got it when he purchased an abandoned storage unit and did not know much about it. I was wanting to know if anyone can help me identify who the manufacturer might be (silently praying its not Rubies) and how to proceed from here.

As far as I can tell, its only missing one of the shoulder straps.

Any advice this community can provide in getting the suit ready to use would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20230719_194039_534.jpg

Image is very blurry and hard to make out much of the details, without closer in focus images it's a little hard to tell, there's quite a few it may be.

Info for posting multiple images here as the forum only allows a small amount of image attachments.

1 hour ago, stgordon2 said:

Thank you for the info on posting images.

Here are some higher-quality photos:

https://imgur.com/a/0qsaTUK

Could be a Jedi Robe (or similar) has the same molded ab plates and molded button covers on belt (with plastic belt not fabric) also overlap construction

Swoops on chestplate and backplate look similar too.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.d3b8bd5e3822be560b20c4ed7ef89ef7.jpg

s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.38ad101e0a0d5d84dbf379307a4c621c.jpg

pEgNsDB.jpeg

I was looking at the Jedi Robe web page and it looks like their current armor has a combined ammo belt, abb plate, and codpiece. Those parts are separate on my suit.

It’s definitely Jedi Robe or Stormtrooper-costumes.com in terms of the molds. Likely could be an older model that didn’t have everything attached beforehand. Either way from what I’m aware there’s a lot of work that would need to be done to make it approvable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, stgordon2 said:

Hello all,

I purchased a suit of Stormtrooper armor I found on Facebook marketplace. The seller got it when he purchased an abandoned storage unit and did not know much about it. I was wanting to know if anyone can help me identify who the manufacturer might be (silently praying its not Rubies) and how to proceed from here.

As far as I can tell, its only missing one of the shoulder straps.

Any advice this community can provide in getting the suit ready to use would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20230719_194039_534.jpg

i think its definitely jedi robes, every helmet in the pic doesn't seem like its a re cast of another mold, so it wouldn't make sense if the previous storage owner bought a really good body suit just to add a jedi robes helmet later.

Edited by Imperial_juggernaut

1 hour ago, stgordon2 said:

I was looking at the Jedi Robe web page and it looks like their current armor has a combined ammo belt, abb plate, and codpiece. Those parts are separate on my suit.

Jedi robe have a separate ammo belt section to belt, ab plate is molded to the abdomen and cod piece is joined as most armor is. You can see the separate pieces in this image as well as the molded cover buttons which have rivets (not approvable) yours has 4 rivets definitely not approvable:

storm-4.jpg.7c9072abe857558122394df498981a4e.jpg

To be honest not many ask about this type of armor these days as so many makers advertise on places like FB and Etsy and are a bit easier to find than say 10 years go, a lot has changed about talking about armor makers, we couldn't back then.

Whatever it's origin It would need quite a lot of work to meet todays 501st standards and I would encourage you to reach out to your GML (garrison membership liaison) as ultimately it's he/she/they/them who would be looking after your application.

Figured I’d share a post from gmrhodes13 in another section about similar questions as he had a lot of valuable links.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/?do=findComment&comment=766468

My personal recommendation as it’s quite unlikely you’ll be able to get refunds (even people who have bought directly from Jedi Robe find that they won’t get a return) is to try seeing about selling on eBay and then purchasing from a vetted armor vendor.

Here’s a topic that covers that
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

30 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

Figured I’d share a post from gmrhodes13 in another section about similar questions as he had a lot of valuable links.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19329-where-what-and-whom-to-avoid-when-buying/?do=findComment&comment=766468

My personal recommendation as it’s quite unlikely you’ll be able to get refunds (even people who have bought directly from Jedi Robe find that they won’t get a return) is to try seeing about selling on eBay and then purchasing from a vetted armor vendor.

Here’s a topic that covers that
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

In my case, I am not sure it would be worth it to get a refund even if I could. I bought the suit for $200 which is by far cheaper than any of the suits I have seen for sale. 

That said, if the community says it is not approvable, then it's not approvable. I am not sure though that it was a waste of my money. In the future, as my finances permit I would like to purchase an armor kit that could be approved. It's a matter of what I can and can't afford at this time, and this suit was something I could afford right now. 

Edited by stgordon2
clarity

5 hours ago, stgordon2 said:

In my case, I am not sure it would be worth it to get a refund even if I could. I bought the suit for $200 which is by far cheaper than any of the suits I have seen for sale. 

That said, if the community says it is not approvable, then it's not approvable. I am not sure though that it was a waste of my money. In the future, as my finances permit I would like to purchase an armor kit that could be approved. It's a matter of what I can and can't afford at this time, and this suit was something I could afford right now. 

Almost anything can be made good enough to be approved. Question is how much effort you need to put in and how you value your time and effort.

It's a bit like trying to make a race car out of an old Volvo. It can be done, but by the time you're finished you've probably spent more time and money than it would cost to buy a good used Porsche to begin with.

• Like 2

Then have fun with it for now, you still have a stormtrooper kit.  Maybe later get an approval kit, but for now just have fun with your new kit. 
Exactly this! Have fun assembling it and wearing it - you got a stormtrooper!
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, stgordon2 said:

Enjoy the experience and in a future you can upgrade it , step by step   we are here to help when you're ready.  :salute:

There's always the option of making a great Halloween costume too, it's great playing mannequin and scaring younglings :D

hall.jpg.762381c7593de0ce7d7cb9abacdcb578.jpg

Good luck with your journey, hope to see you join the ranks in the not too distant future 

• Like 1

Does the community have a recommendation for low-cost (<$100) boots?

For around $50 I can purchase a pair of black leather deer stag boots and possibly paint them or purchase a finished pair on Etsy for around $60-$70. I'm inclined to go with the Amazon boots since they are cheaper and seem more durable but I am not sure which paint to use.

Link to Amazon boots:

https://www.amazon.com/Deer-Stags-Rockland-Comfort-Chelsea/dp/B07C2XWH9H/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1J0HKUX4K4XLR&keywords=Mens%2BChelsea%2Bboot&qid=1690264763&sprefix=mens%2Bchelsea%2Bboot%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1)

Edited by stgordon2
clarity

You have to watch some makes of boots as the ankles are just too low and will come out of the shin when walking.

Most go for the Keeptrooping boots these days.

There are cheaper boots available on Ebay and other sites but do come with stitching on the inner sides ok for basic approval but not for higher levels. NOTE not many show you the inner sides of the boots just for the reason of the extra stitching ;) 

Great references here on original boots

When I had a Rubies stormtrooper costume that wasn’t approvable without major mods I had these boots I bought and they worked well enough.
https://www.amazon.com/Funtasma-Trooper-12-White-Polyurethane-Medium/dp/B00IK6Q30W/ref=sr_1_5?crid=15G1BQWRW8YHS&keywords=Fantasia+stormtrooper+boots&qid=1690413228&sprefix=fantasia+stormtrooper+boots%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-5

Seems they aren’t as cheap as they used to be though, so it might be worth going with Keeptrooping boots or so. Higher quality and accurate for future armors.

I will also agree that where you have a stormtrooper costume, have fun with it and do what you want. As I said I had a Rubies costume first, I just enjoyed it for a while while I worked up saving towards buying my first approvable armor. I got lots of mileage out of my first Rubies costume and only recently sold it to someone who wanted to have it for display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Nice work trooper

If you use the "direct link" option, or even right click on your image in Imgur you will be able to post it directly to your post

iEXcm3w.jpeg