gr8jedi Requesting Pre Approval Review ANH Stormtrooper Stunt (Shepperton Studios)

Chachi

Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

1.  John Alves

2.  North County San Diego

3.  Shepperton Studios

4.  Shepperton Studios

5.  Shepperton Studios

6.  Shepperton Studios

7.  Boot maker - Funtasm

9.  Shepperton Studios

10.  Shepperton Studios

11.  5'9

12.  180 lbs

13.  TK type - ANH Stunt

bcXG5Gn.jpg

bBVPi0C.jpg

H5Gr46v.jpg

syQJ16x.jpg

nNTNyc8.jpg

KmMvzjb.jpg

JanyhVx.jpg

6UM0kcl.jpg

OuUUxgR.jpg

ohWlxjp.jpg

xy9aWEI.jpg

l7TFef0.jpg

gFsPfPR.jpg

iwPiqCq.jpg

Looks Great! 

The only I would do is to get rid of any return edge on the shoulder bells, It'll help them sit better on the biceps, also make sure you tuck the neck seat in before submittal photos. 

There are a few issues with the SDS straight out of the box which don't meet basic approval, a couple of previous SDS pre approval threads with what needs addressing

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47281-jayse01-requesting-pre-approval-review/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47286-helotech-requesting-pre-approval-sds

@Helotech's build thread with SDS updates

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47323-helotech-sds-hero-build/

Shoulder bridges should be glued down at the front, can see velcro.

Belt needs to be fabric 

Thigh cover strips should stop above the lower ridges, not continue to the bottom.

Rear thighs are overlapped and should be butt joined and cover strips.

This is the same with the forearms and biceps, should be butt joined and coversrips

Calves should cover outside over inside, your right leg is covering from inside over outside

Blue on an plate buttons looks very dark, should be French Blue #14

Holster should not be held on by loops, should be short straps attached to lower section of belt.

You do have a gap in the sides, ok for basic but would need to be reduced for higher levels.

Shins on rear should close from the outside over the inside so the opening is not seen from the outside.

Thigh ammo stop should not be curved on top, should be a straight corner, only curved on bottoms. Also looks like it is secured with screws in the bottom corners, should be attached in the top corners and on the lower ridge, should be held with cap rivets.

Detonator clips too small

H5Gr46v.jpg

vSIy7yP.jpg?2

nlwDx7l.jpg?1

3sxhWZ0.jpg?1

YqoEdA9.jpg

dqzYpb4.jpg?1

5oBUtaH.jpg?2

8PtaRYn.jpg

Thanks for the response.

• Remove velcro in front and glue. Free floating in back?

Belt needs to be fabric 

• Front is ok (Abs) what wraps around needs to be fabric (elastic) ?

Thigh cover strips should stop above the lower ridges, not continue to the bottom.

• thigh cover strips lightly rounded before bottom? Answered below.

• so they "butt" together, then velcro is fine on the cover strip itself.

This is the same with the forearms and biceps, should be butt joined and cover strips

• Same as above

Calves should cover outside over inside, your right leg is covering from inside over outside

• Ok

• Ok

Holster should not be held on by loops, should be short straps attached to lower section of belt.

• Ok

You do have a gap in the sides, ok for basic but would need to be reduced for higher levels.

• Ok

Shins on rear should close from the outside over the inside so the opening is not seen from the outside.

• Ok

Thigh ammo stop should not be curved on top, should be a straight corner, only curved on bottoms. Also looks like it is secured with screws in the bottom corners, should be attached in the top corners and on the lower ridge, should be held with cap rivets.

• Ok

• Ok

Thanks for the tips. I now have a good list to start.

John

• Like 1

• Remove velcro in front and glue. Free floating in back? Glue on front and you can have elastic on the back holding down.

Sq6eUcM.jpg?1UrnD3dz.jpg?2

NOTE As seen in the photos below, there are no large tabs on the rear of the shoulder bridges.  This is not specifically mentioned in the CRL, but removing them is highly recommended if possible.

qb4YVKO.jpg?1   B3vL4VO.jpg?1

Belt needs to be fabric 

• Front is ok (Abs) what wraps around needs to be fabric (elastic) ? Front is ABS plastic, rest of belt (wrap around) needs to be fabric

yp9XgX5.jpg?1 nFgPp3x.jpg

Drop boxes should be just under the belt, no large gaps on elastic 

JuwSduC.jpg?1

syQJ16x.jpg

• thigh cover strips lightly rounded before bottom? Answered below. The cover strip needs to stop above the lower ridge
  • bBVPi0C.jpg.a5d31c4b4b5e4e56cb790f539179417b.jpg 
  • No gaps between both halves, fill with ABS paste or Sugru

•  mG49Nzc.jpg?1  E5L7eXO.jpg?1

• so they "butt" together, then velcro is fine on the cover strip itself. All pieces, arms, biceps, thighs, front shins should be butt join and coverstrips glued, rear of shins are velcro.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41251-butt-joint-and-cover-strip-method/

4698580390_0ec2687566.jpg

•    JcZR9SB.jpg?1  A6gr4vO.jpg?1  

This is the same with the forearms and biceps, should be butt joined and cover strips

• Same as above OK

• Ok OK

• Ok OK

• Ok OK 

• Ok OK 

Thigh ammo strip should not be curved on top, should be a straight corner, only curved on bottoms. Also looks like it is secured with screws in the bottom corners, should be attached in the top corners and on the lower ridge, should be held with cap rivets.

• Ok OK 
  • 2pvrAr5.jpg?1
  • Also move down onto lower ridge, rivet @ 10mm from corner 
  • syQJ16x.thumb.jpg.fa149221c17b77d8378643d51bf80e36.jpg

• Ok OK - also screws should be black
  • TD measurements.jpg

So basically I'll have to remove the velcro, trim the overlapping piece that the velcro was on , then butt the 2 pieces together and finish off with a strip of ABS. 1 inch wide? I'll use the same concept of modification to the thighs, forearms and biceps. 

8blNmRc.jpg

YLWo9hI.jpg

That is correct.

Cover strip widths

Arms front and back 15mm

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

Make sure you rough up all surfaces with some coarse sandpaper so the glue has something to grip too, E6000 is the best to use ;) 

One of my commission builds for reference

q5wVPxY.jpg

At times magnets, clamps and masking tape may be needed to get the pieces to lay flat. I normally leave E6000 for @ 24hrs, any pieces under strain I leave for 48 to 72hrs.

Some great reference if you need them in our gallery sections 

Hey!

For the calves (and other armor parts), make sure you don't trim all from one side of opening. 

You want to trim equally from both sides, and how much you trim depends on the size of your calves. I ended up with about 1/2" from the molded in raise area to the cut.

I found the easiest way to cut is with a Dremel on slow to moderate speed, but this sends bits of plastic flying. Make sure you wear a mask and eye protection. Draw a line with a pencil and cut as straight as you can. You can also scribe and snap but this is harder because of the curves.

These cut edges now butt up against one another. To make the cover strip, I used the rear part of the belt. You have to get rid of this anyways, so don't be afraid to cut it into strips. I'd suggest using this plastic as it is the same color of your armor, so a color shift with other white plastic won't be noticed. SDS armor has a very nice light cream tone, while other manufacturers almost use pure white. 

For the rear cover strip (25mm), measure exactly 12.5mm down the middle of the back side and draw a line with a pencil. Place some E6000 glue on one side of the line and clamp it to the correct piece of the calf. Make sure you clamp to the correct piece!!!

The 12.5mm overhang now receives new velcro.

Let me know if you need any more help. 

And good luck!!!

oNfu9Sq.jpg

• Like 2

One other thing:

I MAY have some small hardware bits (screws, rivets, etc)  or extra leather for the holster. I'll check my spare parts box.

Let me know if you can't source it when the time comes.

• Like 1

Follow Dave's @Helotech build and you can't go wrong, one of the best SDS update builds out there :duim: