Now I'm Ready

Hello everyone from east San Diego County. 

Last year I built a Tie Pilot and a Gunner kit from Walt. They both turned out ok, but I ran at it without seeking much help and neither turned out as well as they should have. Since that wasn't a great experience, I bought a commission ANH stunt TK build from Dave's Darkside Depot. Dave's work was as amazing as his reputation held up, but the AM armor just doesn't look right on my regular stormtrooper sized body. So I got wise and came here to hopefully get it right.

I have a Moncal kit that ships this week and I I'm ready to rock. I'll start a build thread as soon as it arrives and rely on your kind and competent input as I go. Onward and upward.

20230104_200251.jpg

• Like 1

Hello there Chris, and welcome to the forum! You're certainly in the right place for assistance with your first self-build TK! And I see you have an excellent stock of tools ready to go! Have you been spying on Joseph's supply list thread:) I especially love seeing the Tamiya masking tape! I'm sure you're super excited about your MonCal kit, and we'll all follow along on your build! Out of curiosity, was your AM armor just too big on you, even trimmed to your commissioned size? If it were me I wouldn't quite give up on it yet; cool be a cool project to refine for your body type. Heck, at some point I probably need to snag a pair of AM or AP shoulder bells which will be large enough for sufficient coverage, compared to my ATA armor.

Here's a thread that has a lot of good information from a long history of builders. Always good to harness the experience of others!

• Like 2

I hadn't seen that supply list before, so thanks! Good stuff there.

As for the AM armor, it fits well, but looks very bulky on my 165 lb frame. Particularly the chest plate. Maybe I can tweak it. My long term plans include a TD build, so maybe if I'm successful I can just convert one of the two. Otherwise, I'll probably just sell the AM. I'm keeping the helmet though. I had Dave completely deck out the inside with all the goodies. It is very, very cool.

Cool cool. I also noted my own supply list along with purchase links towards the beginning of my PDF compilation of my build thread. Sounds like a plan with your AM armor. Heck, depending on the ABS color match, you may even be able to use your AM helmet with your MonCal armor, but I believe MonCal's plastic color is a bit creamier than AM.

Oh, and just a little side note since I'm personally obsessed with thermal detonators--both AM and MonCal/FAC have screen-accurate sized detonator tubes which are roughly 68-69mm in diameter. (Most other US and Canada based armor makers use the imperial measurement standard 2" pipe.) This means you have two great options to choose from. Personally I like Dave's AM detonator tube and control panel better and the MonCal one. Dave's plastic tube comes in the correct gray color by default, and MonCal supplies a metal tube that needs to be painted. The MonCal control panel is also a tiny bit smaller than Dave's, and yes, I've personally built both styles, as well as some from several other armor makers. :laugh1: If you have the funds and desire, I'd also opt for Ukswrath's detonator clips over the ones that either AM or MonCal provide.

Edited by MaskedVengeance
  • Like 1

Looks like you are just about ready to go, a couple of tips, when in doubt check our gallery areas and measure twice and cut once. If ever in doubt don't be afraid to ask questions, that is why many of us hung around after being approved to give back to the community.

Looking forward to seeing the BBB photos soon :D  

• Like 1