Jump to content

Hey there from SoCal…


Recommended Posts

Hey, all!  New to the white armor, but not the 501st.  I’m an approved ESB Vader, but I’m looking to build a TK next, so I’m excited to get going and get some guidance from all you fine folks!  I’m 5’11” (not the tallest Vader :)) and 185, so pretty average build, I think.  I already PM’d Dave Conklin at the advice of someone on one of the Facebook groups, and I’m wondering if AM Armor is good for Centurion level approval.  Any direction or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

 

Matt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the home of shiny white armor, Matt! AM armor is certainly well suited for L3 approval, and below I've linked to several of my favorite AM build threads. I even formatted AJ/s into a PDF file for ease of access on tablets or print, and this first thread below is actually a "master" compilation of resources that I've found helpful on my own 501st journey. Towards the bottom of the thread are additional links to AM build threads and EI and Centurion approval requests.

 

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40831-ajs-of-am-20-build/

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-build/

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49991-oddvikings-anh-stunt-build-am-45-centurion/

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44658-ltms-am-tk-anh-build/

 

p.s. Dave makes my personal favorite version of the various thermal detonators out there, and it includes one of the few accurately-sized (to screen-used) tubes available in the US, which is also an appropriate color that likely doesn't need to be painted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, Caleb!  So I’m assuming you would recommend Dave as my go-to armor?  I think he has a new run coming up.  Should I also use him for my helmet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome aboard, good luck with the research, look forward to seeing a build thread from you soon

 

FYI you can request 501st access here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/page/347/#comment-746780

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Barkydog1 said:

Thank you, Caleb!  So I’m assuming you would recommend Dave as my go-to armor?  I think he has a new run coming up.  Should I also use him for my helmet?

I don't personally have a full AM suit, but I know that it is a reputable one. However, there are also other great vendors too, which can be found on the post below. Some armors fit various body types better than others, but you should really be perfectly fine with any at your height and weight, which are basically the same as mine. I would definitely recommend getting your helmet and armor from the same vendor, and preferably from the same armor run to ensure the white plastic is color matched. That's not to say that you can't mix and match, but uniformity is best achieved when sticking with the same maker.

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Note AM/Dave's armor is made for the larger frame/height, 5' 11" you have lots of options ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Note AM/Dave's armor is made for the larger frame/height, 5' 11" you have lots of options ;) 

What I’m looking for is Centurion level approval, I guess, but I guess you don’t need ultimate screen-accuracy for that?  I mean, if AM is fan-sculpt, it may not have all of the particular lumps and bumps of the screen lineage suits/helmets, correct?  I guess it’s like Vader, you can get level 3 approval with a fan-sculpt bookface helmet and armor.  I think the guidance I’m looking for right now is…do I need to try to look at pictures of finished suits from the different builders on the approved builders list, or do I just pick one and go based on price or screen-lineage or not?  Being unaccustomed to every aspect of the TK suit, At this point I’m just blinded by WHITE, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Barkydog1 said:

What I’m looking for is Centurion level approval, I guess, but I guess you don’t need ultimate screen-accuracy for that?  I mean, if AM is fan-sculpt, it may not have all of the particular lumps and bumps of the screen lineage suits/helmets, correct?  I guess it’s like Vader, you can get level 3 approval with a fan-sculpt bookface helmet and armor.  I think the guidance I’m looking for right now is…do I need to try to look at pictures of finished suits from the different builders on the approved builders list, or do I just pick one and go based on price or screen-lineage or not?  Being unaccustomed to every aspect of the TK suit, At this point I’m just blinded by WHITE, lol.

Most armor makes can reach L3 Centurion, it's all about the assembly and research 

 

Again AM is for the bigger person so if you are average height and weight I would go for another make.

 

Some like durability over accurateness, I went with ATA (no longer available) as it's a stronger thicker ABS plastic but not as accurate, RS is extremely accurate but very thin and can crack easily.

 

Looking through others build threads and also the Centurion approvals is a good guide to helping select what armor is for you. Note many have the armor makers initials in their threads :D   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matt,
Welcome aboard. I recently started grabbing stuff for a ESB Vader build, so I know where to go to when I run into issues. Lol.
Sounds like you have a plan, so that's awesome. You'll find incredible help here as well as tons of guys in SoCal who will gladly help you on your way. We're definitely glad to have you here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

Matt,
Welcome aboard. I recently started grabbing stuff for a ESB Vader build, so I know where to go to when I run into issues. Lol.
Sounds like you have a plan, so that's awesome. You'll find incredible help here as well as tons of guys in SoCal who will gladly help you on your way. We're definitely glad to have you here.

Yeah, any help you might need for your Vader build, I’m here and also very active on the SLD. I also make screen accurate belts and Saber Clips for most of the Vaders there :)

 

wpSpvyk.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Barkydog1 said:

Yeah, any help you might need for your Vader build, I’m here and also very active on the SLD. I also make screen accurate belts and Saber Clips for most of the Vaders there :)

 

wpSpvyk.jpg

Perfect Matt, thanks. I think I have seen your posts on the SLD forum. I'll send you a PM. I can't wait to see your build start taking shape, but just hit me up if you decide to go the ROTK route instead. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...