TLJ/Tros Thermal Detonator differences from TFA and CRL update discussion

Sly11

This thread is to discuss the improvement and updating of the Thermal detonator as seen in The Last Jedi and The rise of Skywalker.

As some may or may not be aware, the TFA TD was made of a solid resin cast weighing in at 1.4kg excluding the mounting plate.

This was revised for TLJ to be lighter in weight and from what can be seen in several photos , it was made as a 2 piece item consisting of a carriage and inserted cylinder, excluding the mounting plate.

Recently we offered up a proposal to have this updated, and although the Poll voted in favor, I think we do need some more discussion around it, potentially some changes in the wording, or even possible allowances.

Ultimately the changes we are talking about are only very simple for Basic, and as you would expect increase as we look at Expert infantry and then Centurion where we aim towards the more accurate look of this piece.

The proposed changes or additions to the CRL as per the recent poll were as follows.

White is existing text in the CRL

Green is additions and corrections

Red is what exists but requires change/removal or to suit TroS where needed.

Thermal Detonator Basic addition and word correction

• The left-hand end cap extends from the detonator assembly and is all black.
  • · There should be no visible seams  A visible seam is permissible between the detonator assembly piece and the detonator mounting plate.

Correction to the text for EI

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Small section of black around the base of the left extended end cap shall be present.
  • The slot that runs across the top of the detonator shall have a black decal or be painted black at the bottom of the groove.

Additional explanations and and requirements for Centurion

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

• The end cap is part of an inner cylinder that slides into the detonator assembly. The cylinder is completely painted black.
  • The slot that runs across the back of the detonator (control panel) should be cut through so the inserted black cylinder is visible through the slot

The plan is to bring across images of the detonators for comparison when I have a little more time, or I welcome others to add them here to get this discussion moving forward.

Lets discuss CRL wording, how one could modify an existing TD or 3D print one etc.

We know not all makers supply accurate pieces as it is and many of our members are highly creative in making their armour more movie accurate so this is an open discussion for all.

From Screen caps showing definite separation from the carriage to the inner tube.

4k-swrise-starwarsscreencaps.com-4148.jpg

4k-swrise-starwarsscreencaps.com-9719.jpg

cock3.png

Photos from the UK Red carpet.

All information found so far has indicated these are screen used assets with paid actors.

501st members took some exceptional photos as did professionals posting these around the internet.

e21b48a801cbf067ea9e063c032de310.jpg

13bfbfe39975ccff8e3f58a880cf270c.jpg

104290736_183834626372221_7827638772418755474_n.jpg

104214824_873655679784666_5871531887791528107_n.jpg

I would like to see this added, the references are there, makers could mod what they supply or you could modify what's already available 

• Sly11 featured this topic
  • 1 year later...
On 10/17/2023 at 1:03 AM, buccaneer said:

Thank you for the 3d printing file.

Andrew over at Crossfire Props has printed several of these on commission for me and should be pretty familiar with them by now. He is able to do the whole carriage in resin and the whole tube in lightweight FDM in one piece each, and they're pretty phenomenal. Would recommend him if you need someone to print Jesse's excellent file for you. I can also confirm that the scale and fitment are spot-on. The carriage would be super difficult to cast in one piece with all the overhangs without making it solid (and heavy) like Denuo Novo did, which is why no one is really offering them, so a printed one is probably your best bet. 

Here's my resin TFA from Denuo Novo in front and the printed TLJ one in back for reference.  

XsHEibu.jpeg

Edited by TheRascalKing

20 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Andrew over at Crossfire Props has printed several of these on commission for me and should be pretty familiar with them by now. He is able to do the whole carriage in resin and the whole tube in lightweight FDM in one piece each, and they're pretty phenomenal. Would recommend him if you need someone to print Jesse's excellent file for you. I can also confirm that the scale and fitment are spot-on. The carriage would be super difficult to cast in one piece with all the overhangs without making it solid (and heavy) like Denuo Novo did, which is why no one is really offering them, so a printed one is probably your best bet. 

Here's my resin TFA from Denuo Novo in front and the printed TLJ one in back for reference.  

XsHEibu.jpeg

Hi Justin, Thank you for recommending Crossfire Props.  I will contact them.