SpacesNoTabs AP Stunt build

SpacesNoTabs

Hey all, here are a few items. Finally got some elastic to glue to the shoulder bells. I connected the rivets to the ab side. I wrapped it around me just to get an idea of how it felt and looked. As you see in the picture, there is definitely a bit of a gap depending on how I hold it. Tips for how to handle that? I used nylon webbing there. Perhaps elastic would have been better?

Secondly, I've seen several variations of attaching the right side of the ab and kidney. One of them being just using the snap on the top of the ab and connecting a strap from there to the kidney side. Others I saw just have two straps from the ab to the kidney and not using that top snap at all. Suggestions?

a6492c4f36cf81ddbeb422de1ea8e832.jpg59ad298be1553e9c0ec72b56a7cba79d.jpg33e147df607a6d4b9f22512e2763840b.jpg8ecfba69a64f190f5342575293887ed6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Have you glued down the straps (yellow arrows), Chris?  If not, you may have to make new ones with holes a little closer.  Even though you used nylon, it still has a bit of wiggle room unless it's glued down on both sides.  I think this may be what is causing the larger gap (second pic).

ztDICNp.jpg    WI5QSle.jpg

When you get to the point you can wear your canvas belt, you can use it to tighten up that gap, but sometimes it only eliminates it toward the bottom and opens the top up even more.

If you are just going for Basic or even Expert Infantry approval, that larger gap is not the biggest of deals, but if you are (hopefully ;)) aiming for Centurion it will need to have no gap.

• Like 1

Definitely aiming for Centurion! Ok well I didn't glue the straps fortunately. But not gonna be fun removing those rivets! I'll make some new straps. Thanks for the advice!

You might be able to get some E-6000 with a fine tip dispenser that you can get down under the straps to avoid having to remove them completely. Or worst case just remove one side and see if that gives you enough access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I don't understand. The straps aren't glued currently. I think even if I just pull one side off, I don't know if I could create another hole next to the existing hole because there might not be enough room.

Oh as I'm typing, maybe I understand. Are you suggesting to not worry about the rivets, just pull the straps in a little bit and glue them, leaving the rivets in place?

Yup to your second comment. The fix that Joseph suggested is to essentially glue the straps (particularly the little bits between the rivets and the seam edge) to the armor. That will help eliminate movement which can sometimes cause the gaps to increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First I tried taking out one of the rivets and stretching the nylon a bit. It took me like 15 minutes or more to get the rivet out and then I stretched the nylon before I hammered the river back on but it didn't seem to make a difference. In a last ditch effort I tried gluing an extra piece of nylon between the two pieces but that still didn't really make a difference and it's ugly!

For the one snap on the abdomen (is that the Han snap?) and the one on the cod, the rivets are so tall that I wouldn't be able to set them in the snaps. How do folks get around this? I don't think I have anything that could rivet. Maybe put a piece of webbing on that spot for some extra thickness?

There's my first attempt at one of the shoulder straps, reinforced with some abs. I can't seem to make things lined up properly but seems functional. How do I know how long to make those shoulder straps?1330f2e08e4f09e00a8c317229017c69.jpg1171986b39cba3d14786c03bd28ccfe2.jpgeecc0dd80b4c1458e05edee04ec8e3da.jpg4ffccff6a454c85a2c9837118754701f.jpg880391885807111a1db576caf74f865d.jpg

You can trim down the post then use a hacksaw to cut down the rest of the post until the desired position (or cutting disk on rotary tool).

Yes the single kidney snaps is known as the "Han snap"

I used some wire cutters to trim those rivets so that worked. Here's my progress. Got all the strapping done on the abs, kidney, and posterior. Though clearly I need to add another strap on the bottom of the right side of the ab and kidney connection. Or something.

I created a shoulder strap. The ABS is thick and the posts on the buttons are only just long enough for me to get the female part of the snap attached sometimes, but other times as you see, it just falls off so I gotta work on that.

Here's my big question, how do I determine where to attach the other part of the shoulder strap on the chest plate?

Any feedback is appreciated! I'm glad I'm finally making progress but it's not super pretty lolade73b83cebef8cabb88b0209681bc26.jpga2c9999602e088986238e31692e3680d.jpga2e1b8a3a4dcd24680c71cd9cf726099.jpgcd02302200d99128d535b1cfdd18eaf3.jpgd9fe9ff440f844f56fccdf332a66cc91.jpg

• Like 1