SublimeBW's Armor Master's (AM) ANH Stunt Kit - Build Thread

SublimeBW

8 hours ago, FN1313 said:

Honestly it’s a work of persistent adjusting until everything is set. What I did was clamp things in place and mark where the front of the shin was against the back of the knee plate. Then I added glue and clamp/magnets there and clamped with strong clamps the sides down with glue as well. Being sure that the edge line matched up with the shin’s edge line too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! Those pictures helped and I believe I was able to get the correct alignment and made me remember I had strong clamps.

mlpnN18.jpg

w60Oo7p.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Looking good. :jc_doublethumbup: if you're using E6000 glue, allow 24 -36 hours to dry hard specially for the sniper knee. 

THANKS! And yes, E6000 as it is far more forgiving and I am sure I will make plenty of mistakes that need reverting. 

Hopefully, I will start to pick up the pace as confidence grows but am happy to finally have real progress after the initial build hiatus.

• Like 2

Looking good. :jc_doublethumbup: if you're using E6000 glue, allow 24 -36 hours to dry hard specially for the sniper knee. 

I left mine for 72 hours just because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I took today to attempt to close the right shin with velcro. I placed one piece the inside of the cover strip and another where the cover strip lands/lines on the shin. I THINK I did it right but had some minor concern regarding it possibly showing a bit raised due to the velcro.

Also, forgive the Rebel hat on my partially complete helmet. My wife put it there today thinking she was funny.

2GV2H3n.jpg

RMn85yD.jpg

oOShERx.jpg

7otZCEA.jpg

hoUfnu1.jpg

45aTfBJ.jpg

EQJUfq0.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Correcting images
  • Like 2

You will normally see a little raised.

You may notice the angle of the outer side isn't as flat as the inside, I normally heat the side a little and gently bend and hold until it cools, this will help it lay flatter BUT don't attempt unless you are confident with using heat on ABS plastic, always pays to practice first.

• Like 2

Echoing the heat comment. ABS has the tendency to be super rigid and then have like 2 seconds of the perfect point before it warps and burns bad if using a heat gun. So do be careful and practice if you go that route

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, gang! Glad to know that things are looking mostly right given that this is my first "complete" piece (I still have a minor bit of trimming at the bottom and mobility cuts).

For now, I am going to hold of on heating unless it is an absolute necessity. Maybe once I am at full confidence of what I am doing I will revisit heating. Now to wait for the sniper knee to finish curing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, gang! Glad to know that things are looking mostly right given that this is my first "complete" piece (I still have a minor bit of trimming at the bottom and mobility cuts).

For now, I am going to hold of on heating unless it is an absolute necessity. Maybe once I am at full confidence of what I am doing I will revisit heating. Now to wait for the sniper knee to finish curing.

Yeah in general I didn’t hear much anything for my armor until I did a final fitting. Only piece I heated was the bottom of the posterior to bend it more below my rear so it didn’t hang down so far, but that’s due to my height and all.

On 4/26/2023 at 6:23 PM, SublimeBW said:

I took today to attempt to close the right shin with velcro. I placed one piece the inside of the cover strip and another where the cover strip lands/lines on the shin. I THINK I did it right but had some minor concern regarding it possibly showing a bit raised due to the velcro.

Also, forgive the Rebel hat on my partially complete helmet. My wife put it there today thinking she was funny.

2GV2H3n.jpg

RMn85yD.jpg

oOShERx.jpg

7otZCEA.jpg

hoUfnu1.jpg

45aTfBJ.jpg

EQJUfq0.jpg

Dang Rebels! always up to no good!

Sniper knee is staying without issue! Any chance I can get some feedback on my alignment? I am trying to build with level 3 in mind and wanted to make sure the level 2 requirements were met.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Sniper knee plate must be aligned with the ridges on the shin.
  • Sniper knee plate must not have visible rivets or fasteners attaching it to the shin.

Edit: Looking at it closer, I can see that the sides need to be glued down a bit more. I can do that after the positioning is confirmed.*

QYhkheW.jpg

xAKTsaL.jpg

7IirOgl.jpg

*Bonus 3d printed Darth Revan mask in the background

Edited by SublimeBW
Adjusting photo sizes
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Looking good Brian, you may want to trim a little more that small return edge to follow the ridge line and you're golden. ;)

That is AMAZING to hear! I am going to get the sides glued down a bit better now and then will make that recommended cut.

Also, I wanted to say thank you to the folks that have been taking their time to give feedback. It is really helping to build confidence. Thanks to that confidence, we are moving quicker each time we build and were able to measure out the biceps and cut them last night in between rounds of Frosthaven. I am hoping to also knock out the forearm fitting this weekend as well and take care of gluing & curing during the week.

Edited by SublimeBW
Grammar correction
  • Like 2

Biceps cut and lined up; I will likely get the interior cover strip on tonight.

ZfqLIUw.jpg

The forearms were a bit trickier than expected. One side went together easily while the other took several cuts & adjustments. I still have some additional cuts to do toward the bottom (as I see that they wrist side should be pretty flat) but do have some concern over one side being larger/longer than the other and the curvature (which came with the kit) on the interior side is far more present on one arm.

np12Kqf.jpg

eWyx8zc.jpg

gZrk66O.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Correcting image sizing

Definitely check out some other AM builds as to sizing differences 

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress last week (and weekend) but I managed to get my biceps set with the e6000. I have a little bit of glue clean up that is needed, but that should only take a moment.

S5zRWYE.jpg

This week, I plan on tinkering with the detonator & investigating the sizing the the forearms more (talking with the vendor, it sounds like the sizing is mostly immaterial to qualification).

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image size.
  • Like 1

Knocked out the thermal detonator this week. Not the greatest progress but some progress is better than no progress.

MZfBGQc.jpg

fmwB4zU.jpg

Next week will be a down week as I am at a conference for a majority of the week (unlikely, but if anyone is going to Epic XGM next week, let me know) followed by my wife's graduation when I get back. Maybe I will aim small and knock out both sets of gloves.

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image size.

Nice work although your clips look like they may be a little long, just make sure they don't show once on the belt, also note the position of the O detail once it's positioned on the belt.

ENBGgGW.jpg?1  

gallery_12157_59_144574.webp.baab77df1f2be0b10ad39dae03e787be.webp

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work although your clips look like they may be a little long, just make sure they don't show once on the belt, also note the position of the O detail once it's positioned on the belt.

Thanks for the feedback! I thought they looked a little long but the clips came from the vendor and I figured they were already sized. Nothing that cannot be remedied!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious on what the stance is for the return edges on the thighs. It seems that the top edge gets removed fully but I am seeing mixed things about the bottom return edge (fully remove to around 6 MM). Does anyone have any input they can share?

2 hours ago, SublimeBW said:

I was curious on what the stance is for the return edges on the thighs. It seems that the top edge gets removed fully but I am seeing mixed things about the bottom return edge (fully remove to around 6 MM). Does anyone have any input they can share?

You can remove all the top return edge but I would recommend to leave a little in the bottom.

HpDPCx4.jpg   tJ5yDL6.jpg

9ODuqbi.jpg

• Like 2

Build progress from last week:

• Trimmed the thighs but will wait to size until chest & abdomen are done (thanks @TKSpartan for the reference shots)
  • Glued flexible handguards to rubber gloves
  • Attempting round 2 of adhering interior cover strips to forearms
    • I got to antsy and removed my magnets & clamps before the E6000 was fully cured so the joint separated

Goals for this week (aiming small as it is recital week for my daughter, so am busy most nights through Saturday)

• Trim Chest & Abdomen during the week so that I can fit it over the weekend
  • Be patient about the forearms so that I can put the exterior cover strips on over the weekend
Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected grammar and added "thank you" note
  • Like 3