Brew12's ANH Stunt ATA Build Thread

Brew12

14 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

That is perfect, thank you! I was under the impression that the ears on all of the helmets almost touched the traps but one of these clearly shows a gap. If I trim my ears to fit that high, I will end up with a very thick ear section at the top of the tubes. I think I will get a much thinner profile if I let it drop down around a 1/2". It also helps show where I can trim more of the bottom of the helmet. This is exactly what I needed!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Time for a long overdue update. Life hasn't been bad, but it has been very busy which has caused my build to grind to a halt. I've had to be realistic and that I could either do a poor job with the build and try and rush it through, or put it away for now. It's going to get boxed up and stored until next year.

On a positive side, I'm not giving up on joining the 501st as a TK. I've placed my order for a fully commissioned build from RS Propmasters. With any luck I'll be submitting an application by the end of the year. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Time for a long overdue update. Life hasn't been bad, but it has been very busy which has caused my build to grind to a halt. I've had to be realistic and that I could either do a poor job with the build and try and rush it through, or put it away for now. It's going to get boxed up and stored until next year.

On a positive side, I'm not giving up on joining the 501st as a TK. I've placed my order for a fully commissioned build from RS Propmasters. With any luck I'll be submitting an application by the end of the year. 

Real life first Steven, take your time and hoping to see your BBB day photos when your commission arrives !! :salute:

• Like 1

Indeed, real life has to come first, your kit will be ready waiting for when you have a little more time :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2021 at 8:59 AM, Brew12 said:

It's been a busy week. Last night, after a 3 mile pub run and a beverage, I finally got home and tried on the left forearm. I don't like it. It isn't terrible, but it isn't as good as the right forearm. Again, the shape changed after being held in the correct place for a few days and I want a smaller wrist opening. Not more than an hours work to improve it. I have a full schedule again tonight but should get that reworked tomorrow.

I did get an update from Hellhound about the blaster. He has a few that are close to ready and mine should be shipping by early next week. 

Did you ever get your blaster from Hellhound? I've been waiting since April.

If you got it, was it worth the price/wait? 

• 4 weeks later...

My commissioned build came in today. I wasn't expecting it until next month so that was a pleasant surprise. It's going to take some very minor modifications. The thigh straps need to be shortened. The back of the thighs need to be notched so I can walk. I'm sure I'll be removing some more return edges. Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Once I get some help I'll take some pictures and post them for review. 

https://imgur.com/LvJlGt8

Edited by Brew12

Got some work done this morning... more than I figured I would. After doing a simple fix to the thigh straps, I was trying on the legs to get an idea of how big the mobility cuts needed to be and I noticed my shins kept riding up. It's going to make getting dressed out a little more challenging but I have decided to add elastic stirrups to them. The snaps are glued into the shins and drying. With these 2 issues taken care of I'll decide how much to trim tomorrow. 

The other issue I noticed is that my shoulders didn't seem to sit right. I know the RS TK shoulders aren't identical which makes it a little challenging but I think this is more of an issue with my 50 year old posture not being what it was. I replaced the left shoulder strap with a new one that has the arm attachment button around 1/2" further forward and it made a huge difference. 

Finally, I've been adding electronics into the wonderfully spacious helmet. No challenge at all given the cavernous dimensions! I have the fan kit installed and now taking a break from this to get some yard work done. Before I do any more, I'm taking the dremel to cut the brass bolts off so they stop scratching my nose every time I twist the armor on. Then I'll go back to figuring out how to get the voice package installed in a manner my head will still fit.

On pace to post a photo package for review tomorrow to make sure I'm ready for my submission. 

• Like 2

After having my son bail out twice to come over and take the needed photo's for my submission, I've resorted to a back up plan. I've invited 2 friends over for dinner tonight, so as long as either of them makes it I should be able to get the needed pictures taken. 

Question... I do plan on pursuing Centurian level approval on my TK. Can I have all of the necessary pictures of the worn armor taken at once or is it preferred to have each approval level photographed separately? 

8 hours ago, Brew12 said:

Question... I do plan on pursuing Centurian level approval on my TK. Can I have all of the necessary pictures of the worn armor taken at once or is it preferred to have each approval level photographed separately? 

You can take all your photos however you may find there may be some corrections you may need to make for either basic or EIB approval. You could post your images in the pre approval area to get a better idea of any adjustmens needed before seeking approval or higher levels

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/193-request-tk-pre-approval/

• Like 1

Another frustrating night. Had some friends come over to help with photos while wings were on the smoker.... and one of the arms wasn't sitting right and no one noticed. The button for the arm on one shoulder strap strap also broke. Not a fan of how RS fastend them. Didn't have enough time to make the necessary repairs, so photos will wait until tomorrow (I hope). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brew12 said:

Another frustrating night. Had some friends come over to help with photos while wings were on the smoker.... and one of the arms wasn't sitting right and no one noticed. The button for the arm on one shoulder strap strap also broke. Not a fan of how RS fastend them. Didn't have enough time to make the necessary repairs, so photos will wait until tomorrow (I hope). 

Sorry the read that, Things happens.  just a small detail but very noticeable.  :56pullhair:

• Like 1

Things like this is part of the downside to relying on friends who aren't costumers to take pictures. No big deal.

I am glad to be working through some of this now. When I replaced/moved the arm snap on the left shoulder I should have done the right shoulder at the same time. RS sews the snap to the elastic and the stitching broke on the right shoulder while I was moving around. I'll make the right match the left now, using a spare piece of elastic and melting a hole for the snaps through both layers of elastic using a soldering iron. Should hold much better that way.

I also need to shorten the stirrups that I put in the calves. They helped, but needs to be tighter to do the job better. I was impressed how this one little change made it so much easier to walk. I may not do any mobility cuts in the thighs now that I have these added and the thigh straps shortened. 

So glad I at least attempted my own armor build so I have all the pieces parts to modify and repair this set.

• Like 2

It's hard when your photographer doesn't know what they are looking for, I find having a full length mirror on hand a great help, although my photographer is pretty much on top of the look, she's had some experience with me kitting up ;) 

Looking good, nice work

LMlCRcT.jpg?2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

It's hard when your photographer doesn't know what they are looking for, I find having a full length mirror on hand a great help, although my photographer is pretty much on top of the look, she's had some experience with me kitting up ;) 

Looking good, nice work

LMlCRcT.jpg?2

I'm going to call this a happy accident. The bicep strap on that arm was too long. The bicep could come out from under the shoulder bell with no stretch at all. 

Shin stirrups have been shortened. Sewn in snaps replaced with hammered in snaps and reinforced. Bicep strap shortened. Shoulder straps shortened. Small velcro piece applied to keep the front of the belt a little higher.

Every delay and issue has me making improvements I otherwise might not have. Hard to complain about that. 

• Like 1

In hindsight, I probably should have created a new build thread for the RS Propmaster commissioned set. Being fully commissioned I thought it would only take some very minor adjustments and I was wrong. If anyone does see this and wondering what changes I have made.....

Snaps replaced on shoulder straps. (came with sew in snaps which quickly came off)

Straps connecting shoulder to chest replaced with shorter straps. Then shortened again.

Both straps connecting bicep to shoulder bell shortened, one by 3 inches.

Thigh straps shortened by 2 inches.

Stirrups added to shins to hold them down better.

Lots of fabric glue on canvas belt and some elastic to stop fraying. 

Helmet padding replaced. 

Ear screws cut short inside helmet and covered with putty to smooth them.

Velcro added to front of belt to hold it up to the lower button on chest plate better.

Added fans and iComm unit to helmet.

And on the to-do list.

Both helmet traps need repainting. One doesn't go to the edges, the other is completely missing the black outline.

One screw on an ear is in the wrong place and needs moving. Hoping RS sends me a new ear so I can replace instead of repair it.

Going to replace the lens material. It is a very flimsy sheet and I don't expect it to hold up. I have better material from my ATA helmet build.

Snaps on kidney/abs plates need repainting already. Not sure if it rubbed off with such limited wear or if they weren't properly painted. 

Straps connecting forearm to bicep need replacing. The length is good but they aren't connected in the correct spot and cause the forearms to twist by around 2 inches. 

Return edges on shoulder bells need further reduction to try and get a closer fit.

Shoulder to chest straps will be shortened for a 3rd time.

Straps connecting abs to kidney plate need shortening.

V tabs need adding to kidney/butt plate.

Thighs likely need some trimming to improve comfort/mobility

Consider this fair warning to anyone who thinks a fully commissioned build will be plug and play, even from someone as reputable as RS Propmasters.

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 3

Many find they have to make some adjustments, I do commission builds locally and I've been pretty lucky with most being around my size, I still like to get a mid build trial fit just to get any tweaks addressed.

Good to see you are making the adjustments and taking them in your stride :salute:

• Like 1

I haven't made any of these improvements yet, but I do have an update. Because of the ear screw and paint issues, RS Propmasters is sending an entire new helmet. Gotta love that kind of customer service, well above and beyond what I had asked for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brew12 said:

Because of the ear screw and paint issues, RS Propmasters is sending an entire new helmet. Gotta love that kind of customer service, well above and beyond what I had asked for.

Awesome !  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last update, I have my TK number and am now an official member of the 501st. I've already done a troop at a local zoo which was a blast. In a few weeks I'll be doing one at a local minor league hockey game for their Star Wars night.

Going after my Expert Infantry is on hold until the new helmet arrives, but I am getting some of the other fixes done. The easiest was shortening the shoulder to chest straps. The only difficulty there was that the snap is now so close to the shoulder bell it was hard to hold the snap while hammering it against the anvil. I still need to trim a little return edge, but once that is done I'm hoping to get the gap I am looking for.

I also removed and reattached the forearm to bicep strap. The length was great, but it forced the forearm to twist. I reattached it in a way that should keep the cover strips lined up much better. 

And finally, I'd like to say I installed some v-tabs for the butt/kidney armor... I'm going to call them u-tabs instead. :D First time using a heat gun to bend PVC and it was a learning experience. Fortunately, I managed to do it without any burns on the fingers. Calling that a win.

I'll post pictures once I get them uploaded into imgur. 

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 3

Here are the before and after on the forearms. I may need to redo it. With the forearms rotated I may have needed to lengthen then elastic. I'll try to dress out this weekend and confirm if it needs adjusting.

Before:

O3WVI1Y.jpg

After:

Min0Z00.jpg

• Like 3