TFU TK Build 85421

gmrhodes13

With the warmer weather coming up and cabin fever well set in I thought it was time to break open a box and get to work cutting up some ABS.

This build was going to be a TFU Commander but since there has been work on the CRL for a standard TFU Stormtrooper I thought I'd start here then convert it to a Commander later.

I've had a couple of ATA helmets sitting around for some time so I'll use one of those and also have a set of RS armor which was part payment of a commission build.

First up tape the outside ready for some satin black, I like the interior dark, helps stop light reflections inside the helmet so  people have no chance seeing your eyes.

Jw5x2JE.jpg

Now let's see if I remember how to do this, let's tackle the helmet first, everyone loves ears ;) 

Get the basic trimming out of the way and start aligning.

1UjVh7n.jpg

ATA helmets are a bit of work to get sitting just right, the right side is a little shorter and the backplate higher so it takes some wiggling.

I normally throw a couple of screws in to get everything sitting right.

UG3rXNU.jpg

On to everyone's favorites, ears. Rough trim done and adjusting to suit.

Y8Ybn1S.jpg

UaPWOBW.jpg

Getting the angle just right, we know how these DO's love their angled ears ;) 

dO8tl4Q.jpg

Happy with that, time for some screws

tnIHYQQ.jpg

I won't bore you with the other side, brow trim fitted.

QUCe4A3.jpg

I like to run a pencil inside the lenses and teeth, helps as a guide when trimming.

YpCkWK6.jpg

Small file bit on the dremel, then files and sandpaper 

l8S0Bq4.jpg

First light coat of paint on the teeth, I find if you go too thick it can craze.

dX4vhWq.jpg

Mic tips are painted, forgot to take a photo of those and that's about it for today, I'm just easing into this build, still getting over some medical issues and ongoing problems but should get there in the end.

• Like 2

A little more paint today, another coat of grey on the teeth, then some black on the ears

XFt6Nni.jpg

On to the vocoder

wP9X4rF.jpg

Paint those screws before I forget again

tcOrt9Q.jpg

Left for a few hours then on to the grey on the ears

fwtOszi.jpg

Once the grey has dried I'll be able to finish the black strip across the ear (TFU detail)

Will leave to dry today then I will apply the decals, I would love to paint but my hands are still not that good, was hard enough doing the ears.

• Like 2

Final paint detail to the ears

NnDRXiI.jpg

Making mesh piece for behind the teeth

96qc6ZJ.jpgwbtYuDC.jpg

Mic tips painted and once dry mesh added

1TvKdJq.jpg

Have most of the pieces for the TD so will start on that.

Trial fit end caps, need a little heat

6egJcOM.jpg

Getting size right

rl0ep29.jpg

Going for the "game version" TD so cut a piece of poly pipe.

InTheeJ.jpg

Adding some tape to get sizing right

coQxydP.jpg

Then trim

L2zFJhc.jpg

Just adding some glue to the panel and then wait for screws to arrive then can fit the brackets I made earlier.

cl2UtZV.jpg

• Like 3

Back to cold wet weather again :( so not much more achieved.

Had some old yellowed hand plates so applied some screen printing ink, have used before and it works well, just need to put in the over around 60C for a short time to help set the ink

ad5fsio.jpg

I put pieces of cardboard inside so the gloves lay flat, applied black silicon as I find that works best and is easy to peel any excess away.

0WKsZWE.jpg mX1ina8.jpg

Basic fan setup, elastic looped and velcro added to hold battery box, velcro added to blower fan so you can adjust direction, also added some screen mesh on the open fan side, nothing worse than getting a goatee hair stuck in the fan, on/off switch bracket made, will just E6000 in place when I add the internal velcro.

mX4Q1yy.jpg

I'm cheap with helmet padding, just use soft yellow foam, round thin piece for the top of the head and 2 blocks of foam which go either side of the head, adding velcro allows you to remove them for cleaning.

lFLfvTg.jpg

Thought I'd tackle the smaller ab button plate as there needs to be 5 buttons not 4 like most other versions of armor.

So first work out the length of plate, then button spacing and drill

w7Ltzrv.jpg

Drill wood with larger holes than needed

P6dUg8j.jpg

Make a plate identical to the first plate, this will house the rivets (which happen to be the right size). Added a washer behind to help hold them out a little more.

5s9pOB6.jpg

Test the two pieces fit

oRxYRnE.jpg

Heat up your ABS sheet

WroqaWU.jpg

Align and press together

9NTcwN6.jpg

Let cool down then separate

vhlrz9Y.jpg

Trim to size

OttirKn.jpg

Check for fit

dISlMhj.jpg

5th button is now one button higher than larger ab button plate.

Next to fill the area behind, may do the same method, use blocks of wood the same size as the original molded area, heat some ABS, mold then trim to match and add some ABS paste to fill any seams then sand and polish.

• Like 2

Ok this one was a little easier, cut wood to size needed

9g4R0sB.jpg

Heat plastic and push down

qD5cAzy.jpg

Trim to match curve of ab and molded area

lbgRNxd.jpg

Happy with how it's looking

PjmTwt2.jpg

Next glue then add the ABS paste

Did someone say TFU upgrade kits :laugh1:

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew.

All the velcro inside is dry so fitted the fan and foam, also made a template for the lenses, marked and cut out, I use a little hot glue just to hold them in place than apply some black silicon around the edges, I like the darker look inside.

L5dCMVw.jpg 

PYvf8b7.jpg

And fitted. Don't be too concerned if you have small gaps, does help with air flow

KM5AwNi.jpg

Time to add the decals, yes I'm going to cheat and not paint, my hands are no longer up to painting fine lines after 2 finger operations and arthritis in a few knuckles.

Dave M decals, a little expensive with shipping but a must if you can't paint and want to go L3. 

Jb1QFLP.jpg

Make sure you have the correct tubes stripes on the right side (or left :D) You want the tube stripes falling forward at the front.

If you look at the image bellow you can see the front leans forward ie: front \\\\\\\\\\\ back

oxKNLoY.jpg

Should be a pencil width from the cheek.

RrDn3Su.jpg

As I guide I like to use a piece of masking tape the same size as a pencil

I5BC5Vg.jpg

Trim to size and apply

F56OYUI.jpg

I like to pull away from the decal as I find it doesn't pull the decals off while removing the top sheet. Repeat on the opposite side.

FwnbsUw.jpg

On to the tears and traps, I find it easier to trim the decals down to size and test fit, adding a little tape in places is a good guide. The decals don't fit all helmets perfectly so you may need to trim down slightly, using a permanent marker is a good way to restore any missing black lines you may have to trim off.

8zuyMca.jpg

Any air bubbles just a very impolite person with a pin and push the air out.

8Uu4oWr.jpg

vC5yIyw.jpg

No this is not how the brow trim looks finished, it was pulled down to apply the decal ;) 

fxFU6St.jpg

And helmet is done for the time being, I'll apply some light battle damage/weathering once the armor is complete, I like to do it all at the same time so you get a consistent look.

xnUU3dr.jpg

• Like 3

Well time for trimming the armor, I did get a little carried away, I know what a mess but you can't stop production to  tidy up :laugh1:.

20200930_124522.thumb.jpg.ca68c447c39185887fafea8ec1fe3c74.jpg

Ok may be I should,  it's a little more tidy now

20201001_095025.thumb.jpg.3f9371de8e3e9b8bc12b07c9c0b952c1.jpg

I normally try to keep some of the offcuts from any different armor I work with, never know when you are going to need some ABS paste. I'll cut up into smaller pieces later and keep in zip lock bag and label like others I have saved.

Working out trim lines, a ruler with clamps works for me

20201001_112917.thumb.jpg.3959b317479db53e31a58dcdfad5bec3.jpg

I like to use a cutting disk on the Dremel to trim, I can get pretty straight lines.

20201001_114710.thumb.jpg.e5d73766b9c28259aeb156088979c139.jpg

Use a long sanding block to finish

20201001_095124.thumb.jpg.e44b4b9bd31bda1f0c1e11aeaec7ff0f.jpg

Some 240 grit to smooth any sharp edges, also sand a small area where the E6000 will go, helps adherence 

20201001_111600.thumb.jpg.fad2e13bac8b1348e55c5091380f1282.jpg

Add some painters tape to bother sides to check for sizing

20201001_100102.thumb.jpg.0b2336b7d04d7474fa3b31b4e13f0300.jpg

Measure, divide by 2 and trim excess from both pieces

20201001_112701.thumb.jpg.91b8438a7458887ec1c859a81cb1a5d5.jpg

Large tabs from shoulder straps removed

20201001_101311.thumb.jpg.3f90bbfb4edf260b49d6736c8e098574.jpg

Make sure all the return edges from the front of the forearms is removed

20201001_111502.thumb.jpg.b09bdd454ccf83f847e4aacdbf434ec0.jpg

Shins ready for a trial fit for sizing

20201001_120325.thumb.jpg.9f8bc51cd76b8a54f23292a363a224d5.jpg

• Like 1

Armor trimming all sanded and ready to proceed.

First trim and check alignment for kidney and butt plate which need to appear as one piece

dHyTdDV.jpg

Inside looks good.

nB0LeS6.jpg

Apply some superglue gel and kicker which helps quicken the drying and also expands the glue

VI49hA0.jpg

Waiting for the ABS paste to soften then applying along the join seam

Next on to the belt, going to leave this longer than a standard OTTK, the TFU has a longer belt

large.Y98HhP5.jpg.15054859a3ce309f1bf52elarge.66523622_ScreenShot2019-05-14at6_3

mByyLTb.jpg

Cover button close to the end as well

42HGQoT.jpg

Measure for snap hole

Jki6hVx.jpg

And drill

5RCFQ2b.jpg

Now to bend, I usually just clamp two metal rulers either side and then apply a little pressure on either side and bend

b684kpG.jpg

Worked well

ObfApgS.jpg

On to some cover strips, remember one side of the ABS sheet is usually gloss, the other not

Score and snap works the best

8AHzJft.jpg

In no time your done

hpJymtz.jpg

Use some coarse sandpaper on the back to roughen, will help the glue adhere to it

Using velcro on the back of the shins, draw a line slightly off center as a guide, measure the velcro and carefully cut

wTGbDSF.jpg

Apply glue to the velcro side

CmrMpjZ.jpg

Apply the velcro

PgeATY4.jpg

Then clamp down upside on board to dry

g6df6jr.jpg

Now we fast forward, I got a little carried away and didn't stop to take photos, but you all know how it goes

You can never have enough magnets or clamps, painters tape helps too ;) 

6dfyoBQ.jpg

Hopefully be dry tomorrow to finish the other sides

• Like 2

Too cold overnight so I will leave all that was glued yesterday another 24hours

ABS slurry melting

ro6rFeM.jpg

Add the rear velcro cover plates to shins

Yorh1Ox.jpg

e05hJkS.jpg

ZVlecKQ.jpg

Snap plates made

oYAVg3A.jpg

Add snap plates, left over strips of ABS help to clamp more area of the snap plates and use less clamps and magnets

AYdeOXj.jpg

Apply to rest of the armor pieces. Can't add to sides as yet until I work out side rivet placement once the belt is on

e8Vuga8.jpg

And also the arms

78WOhcy.jpg

• Like 1

Wow... as a new member and only built one set of armor, I’m blown away by the efficiency and precision that is documented here. Nice chronicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Amazing Glen ! :jc_doublethumbup:

6 hours ago, ForeverFan said:

Wow... as a new member and only built one set of armor, I’m blown away by the efficiency and precision that is documented here. Nice chronicle.

Thanks guys, I should really try to document more but I get carried away building, sometimes you just get into a groove and there's no stopping you ;)

ABS paste ready to go, apply along the seam, will see how it dries as it may need another coat

eFF9fl6.jpg

i6R8SDj.jpg

Try to get your trim lines as straight as you can, very important on ends that cover strips won't cover

qTuu7cM.jpg

Add some painters tape inside to hold together

hrojcbv.jpg

Measure cover strip

90624HY.jpg

Mark

VBGd109.jpg

Trim

UFuWHF3.jpg

Glue, clamp and apply magnets

XpR6rz3.jpg

Clamps and magnets are usually enough but for difficult areas add more magnets and wrap tape around tightly, should bend the cover strip enough

pL66AIE.jpg

MEmkFvK.jpg

284a91z.jpg

Opposite side velcro for the shins, trim the edges as they don't have any hook on them, measure and cut in half

CWQ4DPY.jpg

ILw7bJ3.jpg

Apply glue and add to shin

rPkdmnb.jpg

Clamps and magnets once again

vc8vrii.jpg

On to some strapping, don't ever throw out wrong sized or worn elastic straps which have snaps on them, they come in handy to use as a guide for test fitting

Fg7n69w.jpg

I like to use adjusters on the strapping from chest to ab section, some times you need to tweak the gap a little

pjFgRLw.jpg

I have a template I use to mark the holes, they are the same size on any armor I put together, can always swap out with others elastic straps if you have a failure. Soldering iron works best to make the holes, helps to prevent the snap pulling through

XfnCKoJ.jpg

Time travel happened once again and strapping was finished before I knew it no photos for that part.

Test fit of belt and measured the sides for the rives and snaps and added behind

qngvb9D.jpg

Side elastic measured and snaps added

Kk51Ahs.jpg

Snap plates also added inside top of thighs and arm pieces

KzH4Z8A.jpg

Time to wait for everything to dry again, I guess I best clean up again ;) 

3yRNeyJ.jpg

Great progress Glen, i'm looking forward to seeing this finished and at the rate you are going, that wont be in the too distant future.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Great progress Glen, i'm looking forward to seeing this finished and at the rate you are going, that wont be in the too distant future.

Thanks Andrew

Snaps added to belt, also added one to the center with nylon since there is no middle button cover

ymlTOfL.jpg

Button covers applied

L3tFDE2.jpg

Drop boxes trimmed, backs and elastic added and glued to belt

AHolSyK.jpg

Shoulder straps test fitted, tape guide to follow and glued in place

VLfnoDN.jpg

Strapping applied and tested

YgbNNtP.jpg

AB buttons before and after

la4Payr.jpg

O8Nw15t.jpg

WOW these RS sniper plates are annoying, hopefully the clamps work

q3Bak2b.jpg

Harness strapping finished, has home made adjusters on the belt, can be moved along the belt as long as adjust height

DZirxjk.jpg

• Like 2

Boring stuff, cleaning off excess E6000

20201006_171015.thumb.jpg.673ea5dcaa8f712c82658e587c32a37a.jpg

Angle cut belt corners 

20201006_171046.thumb.jpg.e15adbfe871eddb10c4c81d7528193d0.jpg

AB button plates glued

20201006_170954.jpg.4d63f6ea1a134df68b9659d830d83d36.jpg

• Like 2

Sanded the ABS paste on the AB join but needs another coat, will let that set for another day or two.

20201007_174000.thumb.jpg.c72bb51e0436080583ae87af70fcc597.jpg

Working on adding the U channel 

20201007_173939.thumb.jpg.9eea094c719644a3155ecb83c434b425.jpg

This took a while but finally done

20201007_173917.thumb.jpg.b016af1457b155c84d7f8f419eed90ee.jpg

• Like 1

At the slow stage now, little tweaks with strapping and fitment.

While test fitting I managed to measure the belt so I could finally add rivets and paint them

20201009_173739.jpg.9261bdc655d44dda1fa1f38133303643.jpg

Sanded the kidney / butt plate seam, had a few small holes in the ABS paste so added a little filler, will fine sand tomorrow and add some touch up paint.

20201009_173809.thumb.jpg.ddf15578f337208b8149857fc2b3f674.jpg

Speaking of touch up paint, one thing that is really annoying me is how cream the RS armor is compared to other armor, oh and compared to the U trim

20201009_174025.thumb.jpg.4e1443200f8d48c4d48de2942ca217fb.jpg

Let's see if I can eye color match with some water based acrylics.  Looks good to me, will leave to dry to see how sturdy it will be before applying to the rest of the trim 

20201009_173946.thumb.jpg.be658ac266f2fe7fc11d0b9e127ccdac.jpg

Well tired of waiting for post to arrive, yet again the slotted screws are a no show, so I think I'll convert some.

Closest we have at local hardware are slotted Phillips

20201010_184215.thumb.jpg.9f3cbbc4796d2f6ab0ec9998180e0445.jpg

Apply some filler

20201010_184247.thumb.jpg.5c8371f26dfd1655b81c3fbe8d8db537.jpg

Sand and file the slot

20201010_184309.thumb.jpg.384793d0c96bcac6aeda92dd1e28a6a0.jpg

Add primer

20201010_184332.thumb.jpg.e6f172a4fdf22ce3fde1d843b0ddfe10.jpg

Then paint

20201010_184415.thumb.jpg.0fca1d42fbcdea35ca0c60d2cbb44176.jpg

• Like 1