Jump to content
Jim Calverley

Jim Calverley's ANH Hero WTF Build

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

It begins.

 

It is an understatement to say I am overwhelmed by all of the information here. Our armor kit arrived yesterday from Walt's Trooper Factory. I am building this kit with my 18 year old autistic son, and he is eager to get started, but he also doesn't understand the concept of research before cutting into anything, especially with the investment made. 

 

I've run the list of tools and consumables posted, and did a big Amazon order yesterday.

 

I've started reading as much as I can here in the forums, but there is so much information, it's hard to find the answers to specific things quickly without stumbling onto another interesting topic and falling down a rabbit hole there. Then an hour later I am no closer to my answer, so I'll ask you here: 

 

QUESTION: Is there a preferred set of YouTube videos that document the build well? I've seen RS Propmasters in UK, and I recently found a set of videos from Trooperbay as well. Are there other, more reliable, or accurate, or compliant video tutorials out there that has consensus within the community as a preferred standard? 

 

Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. 

 

And, certainly there will be more to come! Many thanks! 

 

Will - Armor.jpg

Edited by Jim Calverley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to FISD, Jim! You’re in the right place for this undertaking, and we’ll all be here to help you along the journey! To answer your question about video tutorials, there are several other series out there other than RS, and TB (CableGuy comes to mind), and well-documented build threads will also be an excellent resource. If you haven’t already checked it out, ukswrath’s Avovos thread is FANTASTIC. I have an All-In-One TK Resource thread linked in my signature that might be helpful, and ukswrath’s build and video series are linked there. Along with MANY other helpful threads.

 

Again, welcome!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim Calverley said:

Here’s my first noob question...starting with bicep pieces. Do I have these back/front halves matched correctly?

EAAAD361-9E74-4550-87C4-2B3D0BE9464D.jpeg

Glad to see you made it here Jim! You have your outers mixed up. Switch them and you'll be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 
QUESTION: Is there a preferred set of YouTube videos that document the build well? I've seen RS Propmasters in UK, and I recently found a set of videos from Trooperbay as well. Are there other, more reliable, or accurate, or compliant video tutorials out there that has consensus within the community as a preferred standard? 
 



Hey trooper,

Welcome aboard. :-)

Regarding videos, I would agree that the RS Prop Masters tutorial series is excellent. It’s a wonderful source of knowledge.

However; just bear in mind that the RS videos are about replicating the exact screen used size of their specific RS suit. From what I have read, WTF is smaller than other kits, so I’d take that into consideration.

Also, as the RS suit is cast from an original suit, it’s about as accurate as you can get. As WTF is a “copy”, you are likely to find that some of the finer details are not the same as the RS suit/original suits. Again, just take that into consideration if you follow the RS videos.

A useful source of videos when I built my first suit around 3 years ago was Ross of RWA creations.



Last, but certainly not least, check out the FISD gallery. You can’t get better reference material than the actual source material: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Working on your biceps? Check out some original biceps to see how they were trimmed, glued, finished.
Working on the forearms? Again, check out some original forearms to see how they were built.

If you want to “idealise” your build, then probably best to look at some previously cleared WTF suits, just to see if there were any hurdles that need to be overcome on this specific make of armor.

Best wishes

Dan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, magni said:

Glad to see you made it here Jim! You have your outers mixed up. Switch them and you'll be good.

Thanks Randy! I looked for a while to find pics that would tell me. All I could find was completed images and there is some differences between kits - many of the kits I saw, the inside sections both had the dimple, while the WTF armor only has the dimple on one side. I suppose I'll get tuned into the subtleties eventually....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CableGuy said:

 


Hey trooper,

Welcome aboard. :-)

Regarding videos, I would agree that the RS Prop Masters tutorial series is excellent. It’s a wonderful source of knowledge.

However; just bear in mind that the RS videos are about replicating the exact screen used size of their specific RS suit. From what I have read, WTF is smaller than other kits, so I’d take that into consideration.

Also, as the RS suit is cast from an original suit, it’s about as accurate as you can get. As WTF is a “copy”, you are likely to find that some of the finer details are not the same as the RS suit/original suits. Again, just take that into consideration if you follow the RS videos.

A useful source of videos when I built my first suit around 3 years ago was Ross of RWA creations.

 

 

 


Last, but certainly not least, check out the FISD gallery. You can’t get better reference material than the actual source material: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Working on your biceps? Check out some original biceps to see how they were trimmed, glued, finished.
Working on the forearms? Again, check out some original forearms to see how they were built.

If you want to “idealise” your build, then probably best to look at some previously cleared WTF suits, just to see if there were any hurdles that need to be overcome on this specific make of armor.

Best wishes

Dan

 

 

Thank Dan - all great info that I will use. I did look at the FISD images but there's so much, and I am yet to be tuned in to the sometimes very subtle differences in pieces. We actually sat and watched your YouTube video before we did our first trim on the outer bicep yesterday - great stuff. I will check out Ross' videos today! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank Dan - all great info that I will use. I did look at the FISD images but there's so much, and I am yet to be tuned in to the sometimes very subtle differences in pieces. We actually sat and watched your YouTube video before we did our first trim on the outer bicep yesterday - great stuff. I will check out Ross' videos today! 

Ah, cool. Glad the video(s) helped. I’ve not done a huge amount, but, some go into those finer details, like coverstrip lengths, strapping, alignment etc. I’m a true TK nerd when it comes to the finer details. ;-)

You’ve done the right thing signing up here. I’ve been on here for about 3 years now and I can honestly say, some of the nicest, most helpful, and most knowledgeable people are on theses boards daily. You are in safe hands with the FISD family. :-)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jim, welcome to FISD. 

 

Congratulations for your BBB day and build started.   Keep your own pace, don't hurry.  Feel free to post all your questions, post photos . We are happy to help you make your dream come true and that you enjoy to share a great time with your son.

 

Cheers  :salute:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in my enthusiasm to get rolling, I've made my first noob screw-up.

 

I started with the biceps and while trimming down the return on the top of the right bicep I made the mistake of pulling on the trimmed piece and it took more than I wanted when it came off (see photos). 

 

Should I try and "repair" it, or do I need to scrap this piece and get a new one from WTF?

 

I'd appreciate any advice on this one. Thanks. 

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jim Calverley said:

I started with the biceps and while trimming down the return on the top of the right bicep I made the mistake of pulling on the trimmed piece and it took more than I wanted when it came off (see photos).

Actually, Jim, that's no issue at all! It's recommended that that bulge actually be removed. Here's are some photos from and link to Joseph's guide to return edges.

 

ZhIF9UI.jpg     hPArXvJ.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Actually, Jim, that's no issue at all! It's recommended that that bulge actually be removed. Here's are some photos from and link to Joseph's guide to return edges.

Sweet! Thanks Caleb. I will look through Joseph's guide today, before I do any more cutting. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checking that I have these paired properly. One forearm set seems to have a 'bulge' - I believe that this is the left. The other set is more straight, assuming this is the right.

 

IMG_3553.jpg

Edited by Jim Calverley
creating a separate post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim Calverley said:

Just checking that I have these paired properly. One forearm set seems to have a 'bulge' - I believe that this is the left. The other set is more straight, assuming this is the right.

 

IMG_3553.jpg

Perfect! Just go easy trimming and yanking:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...