Armor observations for the TOR

Daetrin

TE2 is made from HIPS. FX, RT, and AP are gloss ABS.

What's HIPS's Shelf life these dayz...can the warranty be voided pretty easily? :unsure:

Funny - this same question just got asked over at MEPD. Here is Seth's response. Considering his expertise, I'd trust his evaluation:

If you are forming with a shop vac you will only be able to use HIPS. With that said, thicker HIPS will come out soft. ABS is out of the question unless its very thin like .04. If you are going to invest in a vac pump and tank they will both work depending on how much vacuum you achieve (ie how much "mercury" you pull) and they will both look better than they would have with the shop vac. HIPS captures more detail and is pretty flexible, ABS is a little softer on detail and stays a little more rigid. HIPS is softer than ABS but they can both crack. Hairline cracks will be the main thing you get with them, HIPS more so than ABS. They will both yellow if in direct sunlight a lot, although most ABS and HIPS is UV stabilized to prevent this. HIPS takes paint a little better, but its not a huge difference. ABS is a little stronger generically, although if you over-cook either one they become brittle. They have different cook times as well. They both have their applications, I wouldn't say one is generically better than the other. I prefer working with HIPS in forming and cutting/assembling. I like the smell of HIPS better too. Laughing I'd personally like to try out some other things besides those two that are a little more flexible/durable.

• 2 months later...
Anti-fog is just baby shampoo and water, ask any diver :D . The only thing that works better is anti-fog "gel" and it's just a little better. Spit although gross works ok too.

I could be wrong but I think some of the newer anti-fog products are isopropyl alcohol and a light wax, I'd have to check to be %100 though.

I could be wrong but I think some of the newer anti-fog products are isopropyl alcohol and a light wax, I'd have to check to be %100 though.

I've been wondering wear you get this stuff at? :unsure:

Actually in case of an upgrade i would like the AP bucket better.... i like the faceplate more than the other two... i find them a little horsey-long (please don?t be offended!!!)

Although that would make an issue on to how to make the electronics fit in on the new sized helmet... since all of our buckets in the Costarican outpost include:

2 cooling fans with tubing along the filter rim to spread venting on the complete thing, 1 headset with mic, 1 med speaker on the chin piece, on/off sistems and batteries... I guess the walkie talkie will need to stay in the belt along with the speaking button to allow helmet to helmet comms between members of the same companny while cancelling the normal speaker.

one question...how many ppl are getting intra comms into their helms to comunicate silently with other troopers in the same companny?

I?m yet to see one...is this been done or are we the first to make this?...i?m kinda curious on this matter!

Where can I find a list on the actual mods I need to do to my FX to make it look 95 to a 100% accurate?

is there a site of something with refference shots?... I?m on my way to C4 and would like to work on my Armor prior to that and represent my Outpost proudly!

Thanks in Advance Brothers!

Dargas.

Actually in case of an upgrade i would like the AP bucket better.... i like the faceplate more than the other two... i find them a little horsey-long (please don?t be offended!!!)

Although that would make an issue on to how to make the electronics fit in on the new sized helmet... since all of our buckets in the Costarican outpost include:

2 cooling fans with tubing along the filter rim to spread venting on the complete thing, 1 headset with mic, 1 med speaker on the chin piece, on/off sistems and batteries... I guess the walkie talkie will need to stay in the belt along with the speaking button to allow helmet to helmet comms between members of the same companny while cancelling the normal speaker.

one question...how many ppl are getting intra comms into their helms to comunicate silently with other troopers in the same companny?

I?m yet to see one...is this been done or are we the first to make this?...i?m kinda curious on this matter!

Where can I find a list on the actual mods I need to do to my FX to make it look 95 to a 100% accurate?

is there a site of something with refference shots?... I?m on my way to C4 and would like to work on my Armor prior to that and represent my Outpost proudly!

Dargas.

Just be sure it will fit your head...I wear a size 56-57 and I still had to trim about half an inch off the bottom to put it on comfortably :unsure:

Dargas.

so, I take it that you want to do a standard ANH trooper...well this forum is full of people who have done wonders with their FX kits... :salute:

well yeah i guess General Sir... although i dont know if really what I want to strive for is a ROTJ trooper... i?m yet to find the differences between the two of them.

I really would like to know about the intercomms system and if anyone else has done it.

Can some one please point me out into the right thread?...There?s so much to read here!!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Dargas.

well yeah i guess General Sir... although i dont know if really what I want to strive for is a ROTJ trooper... i?m yet to find the differences between the two of them.

I really would like to know about the intercomms system and if anyone else has done it.

Can some one please point me out into the right thread?...There?s so much to read here!!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Dargas.

sorry bought not being able to point you in the right direction...your right about there being alot to read around here and soooo many different threads, I forget whats been said, and where it can be found all the time :unsure::D

That?s all right!

i guess I?ll find it eventually... in alllowing myself to be more adventurous in this forum so...jeje

Thanks anyway!

Cheers!

Dargas.

Dargas.

You should be able to find all the info right here and there are some nice pictures in the gallery to help you out.

I have FX armour and the first thing i did was paint the ab buttons the correct colour. i wish i could afford a loverly lid to go with but for now i have other expenses.....

Great thread i like to see what you saw at this event, very imformative :blink:

Copyofteekaydonpost002.jpg

three of them are gray on each row!

HMMMMM... interesting!

Thanks! that was extremely helpful!

Yes and the other three are blue not black..

Humbrol Ad Grey #5 and Humbrol Midnight Blue #15

Yes and the other three are blue not black..

Humbrol Ad Grey #5 and Humbrol Midnight Blue #15

unless your an ROTJ trooper like me :D

yeah... I can now see a lot of difference between my armor and that pic.

specially in the hand guards... The Abs is different also.... another sculpt whatsoever.

damn!

yeah... I can now see a lot of difference between my armor and that pic.

specially in the hand guards... The Abs is different also.... another sculpt whatsoever.

damn!

your going to catch the disease of being detail oriented! :D:lol:

Yeah!...I can feel the feever already but i cant start buying stuff for the upgrades...I just Bought it! jajaja

I?m still paying the loan I had to get to buy it! jajaja

and being honest? I love the way it looks! jajaja

will change the button colors though....