Jump to content
Sea_Marshall

Sea_Marshall: Captain Phasma TFA

Recommended Posts

Ready to pick this up again. Got some time off next week and hopefully will be able to wear this thing by Dec 18th, which I believe is the 5 year anniversary to The Force Awakens, so I'll attempt to hit that date for funsies.

 

Here are the two helmets: One I got from a buddy, and the other came with the T&A kit. 

qRk4UxXl.jpg

 

One helmet had the nose attached, and since I was sending everything to get chromed, figured I'd quickly prep the 2nd helmet and send it off as part of the batch. There are notable differences in the surface work because I sent one prepped for chrome, where the other was only sanded to 220 and had some partial surface work in the grooves, but didn't fill all the pitting. This was a lesson in surface prep before it went in for chrome. I wanted to see how bare I could send an item and compare the prep work that would have been done for chroming. Seeing as the work I had done may have impacted the surface prep of the chrome, sending a bare finish with no filler was the test. The outcome: not bad but my prepped helmet is the one I'll be wearing out. The other is a fun shelf piece, emergency back up, tester. 

 

So I got some work in on the tester:

wYXpbB9l.jpg

 

I used a matte black enamel on the frown and eye line, the used a drop of black acrylic paint to several parts Elmer's Glue-All. It mixed to a light gray. I had seen a number of videos explaining the use of glue and paint to create a foggy surface weathering trick that I really like. Because both the acrylic and Elmer's is water soluble, I should be able to take off the weathering without too much fuss or surface damage to the chrome. Everything was applied using a ripped sponge to create an erratic texture to the application of the glue, which I lightly dabbed along the lines and in choice areas. 

 

MoaCl7Cl.jpg

 

Does anyone have reference links to high res Phasma images? I have an assortment of D23 images, but they're not really high res. I don't think I'll be applying weathering exactly to what I can see in the images, but where it seems appropriate and to give an even layering of coloration. The chrome is very bright, pretty much a TLJ bright, and the weathering can't really be seen from afar, but up close, will be noticeable and a fun detail for onlookers to see when up close. Wondering if I need to go darker on the weathering. Test helmet is all for this. 

 

fLzczVkl.jpg

 

 

Side by side:

QS3zcBxl.jpg

Edited by Sea_Marshall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only have what we have i the gallery for TFA and TLJ Phasma, but i'm sure we can dig you up some more.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screwed down the cod plate nylon to the rubber belt to the front belt boxes. Kablam. The right hip boxes are screwed down similarly and the cloth pouches move freely to hide the buckle that closes on the left hip. Posterior is velcroed to the belt for placement. Next up is to attach the drop strap to the thighs. 

 

FOzONSal.jpg

 

gYfiHC4l.jpg

 

Finished up the cape gel coat and put a few layers of red paint. 3 parts gel to 1 part black paint, mixed and applied with a brush. You can see the before and after on the fabric. 

 

csYpLkGl.jpg

 

Splattered a bit of the gloppy goop for effect. 

 

KUhBcu2l.jpg

 

Took a swipe at the red stripe. May do another layer. Pockets and straps are coated! I think all the pieces can come together soon. 

 

1tN5Dewl.jpg

 

Ss8yS2Fl.jpg

 

Edited by Sea_Marshall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming along nicely

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much here, but I got the gloves and gauntlets sorted out:

 

qihLp9sl.jpg

 

I was going to glue these to the gloves, but it wasn't going as planned, so I went with velcro tabs in the fingers and knuckles. It works; when I curl my hands it pushes on the velcro. Speaking of velcro, I ran velcro tabs along the gauntlets and they can slip on and off. A downside to this set up is the abs gauntlet is thin and feels like it could tear if yanking at the velcro a lot. Once sized, it should cling to the gasket at my elbow. Test fits felt good! 

 

Next up is the shoulder gasket and shoulder rig. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow the cape is looking fantastic, and the armour so shiny, you must be very pleased with your progress.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd be more productive, but the time off has been nice. Been pretty lazy, but the build is in a good spot now. 

 

Got the chest/shoulder rig thing ready to try out. Seems sturdy and comes up my arms high enough. With the back yoke on these should tuck in nicely. Waiting on the day I can put time in for the test fitting and measurements. 

 

Q33GBKPl.jpg

 

This is an encouraging photo. Everything except the cape and helmet are in the box. A little First Order tetris organization and I'm sure the cape will put a snug finish to the bin. 

 

3rhVi3Cl.jpg

 

Hoping to get the cape length finalized, whole kit weathered, and final strapping tomorrow. Fingers crossed for some test photos!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...