Request: Vacuum Forming Info

Seraph0000

Okay... This is my first post, sorry I never introduced myself and sorry if there's a better place for this. Anyways... When vacuum forming should you go for a vacuum that pulls harder or faster? Like say (as I understand it) a shop vac and a vacuum such as the "Sharks" may pull with the same strenght, but the shop vac does have a greater area and should (in my mind) pull more air more quickly. Where as some smaller vacuums can pull harder. The shop vac kinda seems like the way to go, but I'm not sure what would give the best detail harder or faster? Most people go with a shop vac so I'm assuming there's some reason behind it I haven't heard.

Also... how well would vacuum pumps work for vacuum forming? My father has one at his shop that will pull 28" of mercury... But I'm not sure how long it would take to reach that point.

Thanks!

Here is a link to an excellent vac forming forum that can answer that for you. Many of the members there are on the FISD as well. Good luck.

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

SuperTrooper said:
Here is a link to an excellent vac forming forum that can answer that for you. Many of the members there are on the FISD as well. Good luck.

-----

oh yeah i never said thanks :)... so thanks supertrooper!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Okay... This is my first post, sorry I never introduced myself and sorry if there's a better place for this. Anyways... When vacuum forming should you go for a vacuum that pulls harder or faster? Like say (as I understand it) a shop vac and a vacuum such as the "Sharks" may pull with the same strenght, but the shop vac does have a greater area and should (in my mind) pull more air more quickly. Where as some smaller vacuums can pull harder. The shop vac kinda seems like the way to go, but I'm not sure what would give the best detail harder or faster? Most people go with a shop vac so I'm assuming there's some reason behind it I haven't heard.

Also... how well would vacuum pumps work for vacuum forming? My father has one at his shop that will pull 28" of mercury... But I'm not sure how long it would take to reach that point.

Thanks!

The rig I currently have (that I have been pulling some biker scout parts from) uses an industrial grade vacuum pump. It pulls 30 inches of mercury within five seconds. VACUUM PUMPS WORK VERY WELL!!! They can be expensive. A good of high Horse Power shop vac with an airtight connection, or a series of shop vacs, can do a great job too. And it's inexpensive.