My FX-build[*FX]

Alright!

I'm picking up my FX-kit at the postoffice tomorrow. I'll use this thread to post the progress and mods that I will do to make this kit as good as possible.

The plan is to do the chestplate mod, to make it look more accurate. I'll also do the thighs up. Of course all required mods to get Elite status. I also plan on scaling down the handplates to be more accurate.

The build starts tomorrow:) Can't wait!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally the FX is in the house. after just doing a quick overview I can already see I´m going to have to shim the hell outta some pieces. At least the forearms, calves and biceps. I´ll probably use the belt pieces to do this, as I´m going for a canvasbelt anyway.

But worst case... I´m gonna need some ABS strips or sheets. I can´t find this in Norway, so if anyone as up for selling a bit, shoot me a PM please.

I see now that RT might be better for me, at least for some of the pieces. And AP and TE2 is probably no use at all unless I quit lifting weights and just start living on water and crispbread. Hehe.

I had the same problem with my FX for the same reason. I also used the belt pieces to shim the forearms, calves, and biceps. It works pretty well.

Somewhere around here there is a link to a great step-by-step website on how to build shims.

I got it to look ok. Done both forearms and one bicep. The only problem is really that the belt pieces are pretty thick and therefore warp the parts a bit. But I guess hot/cold water will fix that later today.

Pics will be up in a couple of hours.

hey thomas - you thought abt buying some more accurate handplates.

I know John from UKG does some really nice ones over in UK (yep its the same John that does the ears for the MR CE overhauliers)

waiting to see ur chest mods man! GOod luck with build.

Nate

I´ve thought about it, and will if the mod doesn´t work.

I´ll post my progress pics tomorrow. Got a sci-fi gameconvention in town I´m helping the local garrison with. (www.scifiworld.no)

Finally some work done.

Here's a few pics of what's been done so far.

I had to shim the forearms to get them around my arms.

Bilde041.jpg

Bilde042.jpg

Because of the shim, the shape is under stress and thus makes a gap in the velcro. I'm think I'm just gonna glue that side as well. Did it with the left one and it works fine.

Bilde043.jpg

I also had to shim the biceps on both sides.

Bilde044.jpg

Bilde045.jpg

Bilde046.jpg

It suddenly dawned on me that my problems with a bit misshaping when shimming was due to the belt pieces in the FX-kit are thicker than the suit itself. Heres how the bicep turned out because of it. (I later took them apart and boiled them to get a better shape.)

Bilde047.jpg

contued...

Resizing the handplates. (You loose the return edge and it's really difficult to give them a new one. I'll what I come up with (or buy AP plates:-)

Bilde052.jpg

Here's how the thighs turned out:

Bilde054.jpg

Bilde055.jpg

And finally VaderDave's ab buttons:

Bilde056.jpg

That's it for now. More updates the coming week.

Thanks for looking.

UPDATE:

Ok, here´s where I´m at right now.

Both thighs are done (except for the snaps to hold them up, I´m going for the belt solution on these)

Both forearms are done

Both biceps are done

Ab buttons in place

Back/butt plate are separated

1 1/2 calf pieces are done (finishing up the second one as I write this)

I´ll post some more pics later today.

I also fixed most of the issues I had with malformed biceps and velcro and stuff. A good tip, if you screw something up, is to use a heatgun to warm up the glue. Pieces can be taken apart in no time.

Pics up after I finish the belt for the thigh pieces (that would be in a couple of hours or so). :-) Wanna show off the belt as well.

UPDATE:

Ok, here are a few progress pics:

My wife sewing a bit for me (thank god):

IMG_0152.jpg

Elastic with ABS and velcro for the thigh:

IMG_0153.jpg

The finished thighsetup:

IMG_0155.jpg

Wearing it:

IMG_0156.jpg

The progress so far:

IMG_0157.jpg

Tomorrow I start work on the ab, kidney and butt parts.

Thanks for looking!! :-)

Here's a quick testfit:

IMG_0158.jpg

Yeah, yeah...the left bicep has twisted around my arm :-) I still have to attach the shoulderbells and the biceps to them. Also need to finish up the connection between the crotch and butt. Other than that, everything seems to sit fairly well.

I'll post pics of the things I did today later.

Yeah, chesttrimming is in the plans, just need to get everything fitted to see how much. you´re thinking of the bottom right?

I just have a little problem with the hobbyiron I bought. It kinda sucks.

Tried giving a return edge after trimming the handplates...no luck. Probably have to get a better one.