Darth Callidus

DLT-19 Build Thread

So I recently purchased a DLT-19 Kit from 3DpropsNL on etsy. I'm currently awaiting the medium brown box. These are the pics of how a finished and painted kit looks on their page.

My plan is to paint the stock either a black or gunmetal black, not sure yet and have varying amounts of wear on the different parts of the blaster/gun as on a real MG34, the parts are interchangeable in the field. I'm going use an aluminum-based gunmetal black, aluminum, and patina. I will potentially seal it all in a non-gloss clear coat.

1344050638_dlt-19etsy.jpg.31ae7688593546cf639a4a1f82f1abde.jpg1412431902_dlt-19etsy2.jpg.55ccacc0daaf53ca3fb55505e3775914.jpg406729859_Dlt-19etsy3.jpg.5b0824b2e51ada72631f1826af6d33b3.jpg 

Edited by Darth Callidus
Could not delete my clarifying reply
  • Like 1

This is a more detailed plan of how I intend to paint my DLT-19

My plan is to paint the stock a rubber black or as more of a mix between gunmetal and true black with wear along the edges in the gunmetal or aluminum. the ring near the stock will be aluminum paint. The Handle will be a mix between Gunmetal and true black with wear along the edges in the gunmetal, possibly mixed with aluminum. The majority of the remaining blaster will be a base coat an aluminum-based gunmetal black with weathering done in aluminum dry brushing, and some done with a mixed coat dry brushed on. My goal is to give it various amounts of wear on different pieces similar to that of a real MG34 due to the interchanging of parts. Thus the receiver will have medium wear, the heat shroud/cooling fans will have light wear, the flash hider/gas blowback will have light wear, and the Bipod will have heavy wear. The majority of the wear of this weapon is intended to look like it came from handling the weapon rather than from abuse, thus it will have more a faded look to it that implies it was caused by the oils in the skin rather than it being dropped and dragged. Although I will include wear on random parts that protrude to indicate some sort of physical abuse albeit minor, whether it was dropped or banged into something. After all my wear and tear is painted on I will patina it, to better fade in the wear as well as seal the finished product, and if it looks good on test strips of plastic, I will cover the patina in a non-gloss clear coat.

Edited by Darth Callidus

Hi Jake, sounds like you made your homework and have exact knowledge of different weathering techniques. Can't wait to see you starting this project. Following...