my bucket

langy

as mentioned a while back, my children bought me a 'fibreglass' one piece cast of an SDS stormtrooper helmet from 'the bay' as a birthday present.....awwww bless em.

anyway after much deliberation about not 'finishing' it off and just buying another i decided to 'have a go' at making a 'display' helmet out of it..

here's a few pictures of it in it's current state..(although it may not be perfectly screen accurate)..it's never gonna be worn on my head..

unfortunately i never bothered taking pictures of it before i started working on it.....so all the pictures are of it with two coats of white paint on it.

but never mind eh?...

-----

-----

-----

i wish the camera on my n95 would take decent photos...lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

NOT DONE ANY TROOPING YET..UNFORTUNATELY...(BUT I'M LOOKING INTO GETTING HOLD OF A FULL SET OF ARMOUR)....(whoops..just spotted i've typed in caps...sorry)

as it stands at the minute..the helmet has had 6 coats of white paint, every coat flatted down with 1200 wet and dry, i'm still toying with applying laquer to it..

(as it's a display helmet, everybody who see's it will wanna put it on......won't they?...)

got the hovi-mix tips to fit yet, as well as handpainting the 'mouth or frown', decals to apply, brow trim and neck seal to fit, and maybe a set of padding for the inside.

but i'm pleased so far how it's coming along..

next project is to get hold of a MRCE and have a play...

haha it's so wonky looking, like its tilting to the side.

actually Alex - thats prob one of the good things abt this helmet. Its a recast of a SDS battle spec. Hence retaining the wonkiness and asymmetry of the original.

In addition - posts like can be mis-intepretated as being unhelpful or not very nice; after all we are all relative newbies here still and should be more helpful to one another.

nice progress langy.

just had a nice lengthy discussion on UKG side abt paintjobs

600 W&D

primer 1-2 layers

wait 24hrs

800 or 1200 W&D

white appliance gloss 3-4 layers

wait allotted cure time - I am going for a week considering I am away from home as well

1200 W&D OR just buff with wet towel if no major faults

one initial dusting of lacquer followed by a good 2 even layers

all Halfrauds rattle cans

pm me if u need mroe directions to uk sources for paints, decals or brow trims mate

Nate

ps - oi the N95 takes glorious pics! - just not indoors :D

thanks for that nate,

i'm not particularly bothered that it's a bit wonky, and thus not perfect..

whilst doing research on it i discovered that the movie originals were never 'perfect'.

the more perfect helmets that everybody seems to be wetting themselves over are the result of computer manipulation.

so in retrospect my helmet ,(with it's blatently obvious faults)..is closer to the originals than any new helmet ever will be.

(maybe folk should check out www.starwarshelmets.com before they deem it nessesary to slag off and take the piss out of somebody elses work..)

(lets see your work then ..eh?)

that said......(rant over)..

here's a few more piccy's.------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Chris, Hobbycraft in the industrial unit near the virgin/ntl place in Colwick sells Humbrol number 5 paint (I know, I got some last weekend)

lol, just got back from there, thanks for the info,

i'm now the proud owner of a wee tin of humbrol no.5....

they also sell a cheap silicone adhesive.....about £3.99...i've bought some to try on the brow trim...i'll keep ya posted on it.

(all my worries are now over.....well apart from what to use for helmet padding..but thats another story.)

thanks guys

keep it white....

as you can see i troop in mine, its no heavier than an fx.

what did youuse for 'padding' i'm currently toying with the 'knee pad' idea...or even the full foam set up .(like the american military helmets....this thread...http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=2549&st=0&p=31479entry31479

at the moment i'm just using some foam cut into a star shape like the originals, but at some point i'm going to do the knee pad conversion.

and stephen, my armor is FX only its GRP (glass reinforced plastic) instead of ABS, it has a gel coat top layer that give it a nice shine and also makes it slightly off white instead of the blue tint that ABS has.

only problem with it though is if one part breaks i'm screwed as replacements parts are no longer available from the seller.