TheLorelei

Lorelei's 5'4" ATA ANH-S Centurion-Hopeful Build

A quick rundown, 'cause time that I can be posting is time that I can be working on my armor! Haha. I've been chipping away at my to-do list (so impressively long now... so impressively long...) pretty much every day, as much as I can. There's a stand-alone heated room I have access to in which I can glue/let things cure without harming anybody, so that's been handy. Still not many pics. Still sorry. But hey, my camera takes pictures almost sort of ok if I shake it as I take the photo so it doesn't have time to try to focus! (And there was much rejoicing: Yay.)

Last night I got all this done: finally finished my right ear (fourth time's the charm), drilled holes to attach ears to the helmet, and trimmed the neckline so I can finally fit my bucket on my head.

WZDKBdU.jpg

Sliding that thing on sideways and turning it to face forwards was almost an emotional experience. Also, my glasses fit fine for the nonce.

Dlya8kh.jpg

See the unevenness at the side seams caused by the back half of the helmet being tapered? I contained my terror long enough to slide the s-trim on and discovered that s-trim covers a multitude of sins. I could commit edge crimes for a solid inch, practically, and by the time they'd be visible above the trim, they'd be solidly hidden by the ear. Do not fear the seam, folks.

My bucket has the ATA...attribution?... bit inside, and I wanted to preserve that through plastidip-and-cheesecloth-ing it, so I measured it as best I could, made a cardstock test piece, compared and trimmed, laid out overlapping painter's tape pieces on a plastic bin, traced the cardstock shape onto those, ran along the lines with my trusty utility knife, and ended up with a nice little custom shaped protective logo covering.

sqM4JKz.jpg

Not rocket surgery by any means, but I hadn't seen someone detail their attempts to preserve any such logos before, so, here.

After determining how I'll mount my lenses (AFTER - because you may not want to mount onto plastidip but rather to your actual bucket, and consequently place lens mounts before plastidipping), I taped things off and prepared for work. I'm plastidipping before assembling my bucket halves for ease of dipping and creating lens mounts later. 

RgSQ2sY.jpg

I also taped off *some* of the reverse edges, preserving areas that wouldn't be well hidden by overlap. (The white stuff inside the face is my assortment of precut cheesecloth pieces. My cheesecloth came rolled in 6"x10"ish panels which I cut into quarters. 3"x5" panels worked great for me. I also cut smaller pieces but didn't use them much, opting to overlap or leave cheesecloth hanging off the edge most places instead.

JZpGmG4.jpg

Turns out the more I taped, the more comfortable I would've been while dipping, but it wasn't that messy of a process anyway so it was no big thing.

WH1ZquW.jpg

Others have detailed how to do the actual coating bit. I used one small container of brush on plastidip, one pack of Guardsman cheesecloth, and a 2" chip brush to apply things because it's what I had. The only other thing I have to add is if you've fiberglassed with woven mat, you'll be just fine doing this. Very, very similar concept. (Thanks, failed Seventh Sister test bucket!)

An hour and a half later, I ended up with this.

xGBFGfV.jpg

D1At0xR.jpg

I figure on slipping a pair of nail scissors into the painter's taped areas to trim them out, but I'll apply my second coat first. Not sure if I'll add cheesecloth again, or just plastidip. Regardless, it was a good experience, and it's added to the "je ne sais quoi" of the bucket already, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Looking good!
I can’t count the number of times I trimmed and test fitted the ears...patience is a virtue lol

49 minutes ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Good progress! Keep it up. How long does it take to fully dry?

Thanks, Matt! Rumor has it all smell-of-doom is gone in 36 hours. It dries to the light touch within minutes, and the can says to allow at least 30 minutes between coats and 4 hours before handling but that's without the cheesecloth... so it's anyone's guess. According to my research, it's pretty flexible (pun intended) stuff. Like, it doesn't even have recommended application temperatures. It'll just cure slower in colder temps.

54 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

We will be trooping together in no time!

You betta believe it!!

22 minutes ago, DStep said:

Looking good!
I can’t count the number of times I trimmed and test fitted the ears...patience is a virtue lol

My goodness, I *wish* that four was merely the number of times I trimmed them, D'Angelo.

oB0SOB1.jpg

Why yes, I do have nine ears. But I didn't use all of them! So much win!

• Like 1

My goodness, I *wish* that four was merely the number of times I trimmed them, D'Angelo.
oB0SOB1.jpg&key=c7493759ef30e8d6e9cb013cc7430039aa783393a16a94c0f16e0e96929c3e24
Why yes, I do have nine ears. But I didn't use all of them! So much win!

Lorelei- I think Frank’s new nickname should be “Smell of Doom.” Just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Hahahahahaha!!

Don’t let him fool you, he’s my bff he tells everyone this in the attaché section.

• Like 2

Lorelei- what are you using for the lenses? The thin acetate lens that comes with most kits or you using welding shield material?

Looking fabulous Lorelei. Your just stepping in and owning it.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

Don’t let him fool you, he’s my bff he tells everyone this in the attaché section.

Mmhmm, sure Frank, sure.

:D

5 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Lorelei- what are you using for the lenses? The thin acetate lens that comes with most kits or you using welding shield material?

Tbh I wish my kit came with a thin lens - what my ATA came with is so thick I can barely bend it, and it refuses to be heat formed. Perhaps that's welding shield material? It's very nice quality, just a pain to work with.

5 hours ago, Rat said:

Looking fabulous Lorelei. Your just stepping in and owning it.

Why shanksh Rat! I'm very, very motivated to finish this build and get to serving the Empire. :D

• Like 2

On 12/15/2018 at 7:10 PM, TheSwede said:

Actually he does^_^

Fine - Daniel, I'll believe. One step removed from the situation and whatnot. ;)

Kowalski, analysis. Please.

XiTdvqw.jpg

Putting on a somewhat-functional clamshell of armor was almost as fun as putting on a bucket with no trim, ears, lenses, or paint. Cheap thrills, y'all.

j0Hl8cn.jpg

Ignore the loose strapping on right here:

0KzJYKP.jpg

S8L7I1G.jpg

--------------

OK. Discussion time. Don't all rush in at once; there are plenty of issues to go around. ;) Here are the main things I see, and could use help troubleshooting where noted.

Q1. Chest stands away from ab

aQf5eDt.jpg

A1. It's not flared away, the curve is good - it's just... not inclined to rest down against the ab. My current strapping mounts are sorta high in the chest, and I'm wondering if bringing them down would help snug it up. Admittedly there's, uh, more going on behind the chestplate than there was with the original TKs too. Maybe some further compression gear is in order.

Q2. Chestplate wraps around pretty far

QeK4rQb.jpg

A2. Perhaps trimming along dotted line is in order?

Q3. Buttplate wraps around pretty far (and poorly)

bunpwCP.jpg

A3. Other shorties have trimmed the sides, as far as I've seen. Just making sure it would be ok, and necessary. Green line is the approx. location of the side seam. Now the red line here looks fine, but take a look at the other side:

Q4: What about the nonexistent square kidney cutout?

h30IvnI.jpg

A4: My ATA kit didn't come with the (blue lines) notches and my understanding is that's ok leave it alone, but if they were there, wouldn't I be matching the butt line with the bottom of the kidney (which is NOT the same as the side seam line)? Seems it'd put the butt pretty far back if I did.

Q4. Belt is gappy and not horizontal.

Also in the last pic, scroll back up. Yellow line is what I'd consider "flat".

A4. It gaps away considerably in the upper back as is. Not sure what to do about this one. Haven't mounted anything, fwiw.

I'll also be trimming the back plate's shoulder tabs to remove overlap with the chest.

All in all it's feeling pretty good otherwise - feel free to burst my bubble though! Thanks for all the help!

Q1A. You nailed it, armor and body strapping adjustments needed or added.

Q2A. Nothing saying you can't trim it, just not too far

Q3A. Your trim lines will work. Also suggest making sure the butt plate is fully under the kidney before final trim is made.

Q4A. No longer required at any level of approval. 22mm notch is completely up to you to add. Personally, I did it because it was accurate.

Q4A (belt alignment) Unless you plan to Velcro it in place, plan on it moving around while trooping. Perfectly normal

Keep up the good work :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Q3A. Your trim lines will work. Also suggest making sure the butt plate is fully under the kidney before final trim is made.

Q4A. No longer required at any level of approval. 22mm notch is completely up to you to add. Personally, I did it because it was accurate.

Thanks so much, Tony!! I was going to make sure the butt plate was fully under the kidney first, yes. Somewhere I saw a diagonal strap at the buttplate corner that I think would do the trick. But about the 22mm notch - should I line the trimming of the butt up to where it WOULD be, or not?

Can’t say much that hasn’t been said. Your doing great and once you get approved I’ll have your back if you want to get paper clips on the belt put into the CRL cause honestly it works.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheLorelei said:

But about the 22mm notch - should I line the trimming of the butt up to where it WOULD be, or not?

Great question, so the following reference photo is screen used armor. Note the notch placement, duplicate it. 

gallery_12157_16_598.jpg

Your butt plate will move around while trooping regardless, so how it aligns with the notch won't matter too much once installed. 

• Like 1

Well Tony was on it for ya Lorelei.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Great question, so the following reference photo is screen used armor. Note the notch placement, duplicate it. 

I'm on it. :salute:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

Can’t say much that hasn’t been said. Your doing great and once you get approved I’ll have your back if you want to get paper clips on the belt put into the CRL cause honestly it works.

Thanks Frank! Haha, I can see my submission now. "My belt's, uh, screen accurate! What do you mean my EIB application has been denied??"

• Like 2

My to do list seriously doesn't seem to be shrinking at all. What, lying around sick isn't checking things off?? Absurd. After I got those pictures kitted up on Sunday, I could barely move. Energy levels are low, mental energy is high but disjointed... my brain is like a sleep-deprived 3-year-old on a caffeine high trying to complete a puzzle with oven mitts on.

Moreover, last night to my great chagrin I realized that my split rivets are too short to go through 4 layers of ATA ABS and a layer of elastic (as they would have to have done for my proposed side hinge closure). I can a) buy more online and wait for them to come because apparently nobody sells split rivets any more or b) rework the closure since it was bulkier than I wanted anyway, and I worry about straining the rivet holes (even reinforced). Option b) won out during last night's "sleep", and I think I'll put in ornamental split rivets with a conventional three pairs of double snaps with 2" elastic.

Let's lay a few things out.

• Sand ab seam

• Reinforce seam

• Install split rivets

• Install ab closure

• Size canvas belt

• Sew on Velcro

• Paint ab plate buttons

• Glue ab buttons to ab

• Attach belt snaps to ab

• Attach ammo packs to belt

• Connect cod to ab

• Cod to butt elastic

• Better butt to kidney strapping

• Trim buttplate edges

• Re-Plastidip bucket interior

• Drill lens holes

• Install lens mounts

• Install frown mesh

• Polish everything

• Install ears

• Paint bucket

• Trim shoulder tops

• Connect shoulders

• Heat form shoulder straps (?)

• Reinforce straps (?)

• Apply straps to chest, five bumps on chest plate

• Make shoulder bell strap

• Trim shoulder bells (12" from bottom of ridge, 5" from side of ridge?)

• Sand out hovi mic tip interiors

• Install speakers

• Paint hovis

• Make neck seal bib

Seems to me that, from the couch (or adjacent floorspace) today, I can work up new buttplate, shoulder, and ab strapping, trim the buttplate and shoulders, get shoulder strap positioning nailed down, and move on to belt and neck seal work if I can. I'd REALLY like to plastidip my bucket some more, but breathing with my respirator on... oh! I could paint my ab buttons, too. Let's do this thing! *cough*

• Like 3

Slow and steady your useless to the empire unless you get better, don’t prolong it by doing too much. You’ve got a good game plan the list will shrink soon.

• Like 2

Yeah I'd agree with what Frank says. Slow and steady.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lorelei I have the longer split rivets if you need some. Shoot me a PM

• Like 1