Tox's RS build thread

toxication

12 minutes ago, toxication said:

Thats how they come.from rs. I am as.puzzled but there are several pieces that are like that. My right arm has a similar thing.

I've seen a few RS suits being built and I don;t recall the thigh offset being that great. Maybe it's a photo angle issue. Do you have a photo of the section from the front with no clamps .

Progress report:
Front coverstrip of the left thigh has been glued,

started cleaning out the sniperplate and getting it ready for attachment.

Trial fitting it on the leg looks like this:

IMG_20180627_104434-X3.jpg

This line I will still straighten a bit more to better match the other side;
IMG_20180627_104441-X3.jpg

Here the bottom line underneath the boxes is straigt:

IMG_20180627_104448-X3.jpg

Going to have to mod the upper legs a bit, make them a tiny bit shorter, cause right now I cannot really walk properly. IMG_20180627_113958-X3.jpg

IMG_20180627_114007-X3.jpg

IMG_20180627_114012-X3.jpg

ASsuming the butt-plate will come lower in the end. Should I remove 1centimeter all around ? Or just on the outside?  This is the part where I get a bit hesitant in putting the knife in the armour :)

In the meantime I will put coverstrips on the back of my lower legs and start working on bending the ammo boxes for the thigh and attaching the sniperplate.

1 hour ago, toxication said:

Going to have to mod the upper legs a bit, make them a tiny bit shorter, cause right now I cannot really walk properly.

Is it because of the top of the thigh, or is it because of the part around your knee that you cannot walk properly? If it's more because of the knee, you could just remove some of the return edge from the back of your knee and it should already help you, instead of trying to remove from the top.

Edited by hollowbodies

Hi Martijn,

Making good progress. :duim:

Before you finish measuring and gluing the backs of your thighs, personally, I would recommend that you attempt to level out the top of the thighs a little more. I know you referenced a fellow trooper with that offset, however that might be adding to your discomfort. Evening out the top would also add to the screen accuracy of your suit. (See ref pics).

FISD gallery

9b202ab705cf1b5d1097b3ec02a6655a.jpg

930593b26ccb87a1bf409a3905c0746b.png

Here is a link to a fellow trooper here: you can see how the bottom of the right thigh is purposefully misaligned. This will help to even out the top and the discrepancy at the bottom will be covered by the thigh ammo pack.

Doing this might allow you to move the whole thigh up by an inch or so (the amount that the outer part of the thigh currently site above the inner part of the thigh).

Hope that helps.

Dan

• Like 2

Going to have to agree with Dan on this one. Evening everything out will add mobility and comfort. Well, as comfortable it can get for us troopers ;) Keep at it! You are making great progress. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CableGuy said:

I would recommend that you attempt to level out the top of the thighs a little more.

I agree with Dan on this and as I´m the "fellow trooper" with the RS kit (Shins are TM though) he referenced to I´ll chime in and saying that RS has an offset but that mostly takes place at the knee and the consesus is that that`s what the ammo pack is for (to hide it) and on that subject:

3 hours ago, toxication said:

start working on bending the ammo boxes for the thigh

If you got the 1.5 ABS there`s no need to pre-bend it, it flexes enough so when it comes to putting it in place (measuring and drilling the holes are done) just secure one end and then bend it by hand - done:duim:

Back to the thighs…..I´m stealing the pic Dan provided showing how to alligne the thighs (lower detail), this way reduces the offset att the top.

crHOCn1.jpg

And finally:

Mobility will never be great and my advice would be to be careful not to remove to much, the original armor has minimal gaps between armor parts and in my opinion that`s the look everyone should strive fo - simply looks the best:) I can barely manage stairs but never considered cutting away more but everyone is free to decide for themselves, atleast to a point (can`t just cut`n slice:P) To give you an idea I´m 5.10 and kept leg pieces to original lenght and by clicking the "sandtrooper-video WIP" link you can see how it looks when walking:salute:

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 1

After seeing your photos this is what I was after, something was off I just couldn't tell with the other photos. As Dan mentioned try shifting the inner thigh side up. this should help resolve some of the upper alignment also.  If you look at the following canon reference photo take note of the lower edge offset. 

1765038162_RSrightthighedit.JPG.b3395b9476a230659f640e953c3a9ba5.JPG

• Like 2

Wow, thanks guys that is an overload of information! :)

Based on your suggestions I will be taking the leg apart again and moving the outer thigh down a bit. I technically have enough space around my knee to allow for the misaslignment at the bottom. I'd rather do that than trimming the top ;)  Not sure it will fully resolve the offset the two halves have though, but will see!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, toxication said:

Not sure it will fully resolve the offset the two halves have though, but will see!

It won’t resolve it but definitely make it less:)

Mainly curious how it will workout with the back of the leg though. Don't want to have too much stress on the ABS to get it aligned at the back. Pondering whether it makes sense to first put the coverstrip on the back and then on the front?

3 minutes ago, toxication said:

Mainly curious how it will workout with the back of the leg though. Don't want to have too much stress on the ABS to get it aligned at the back. Pondering whether it makes sense to first put the coverstrip on the back and then on the front?

I just did this same thing with 2mm ABS - no issues.  If you want, you could give the thighs a quick hot bath and try to shape them a little, but I think ample E6000 will work just fine. 

Good job on your build!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toxication said:

Just Like Greg said - no need to worry, the glue holds just fine:duim: just make sure you aligne those lower details, front and back:salute:

• Like 1

Sorry, no photos today on the progress. Will try to add some tomorrow. Did some useful things today,

Closed the left upper leg, opened the right leg again, removed glue and glued it closed again. Indeed looks a lot better now, even with clamps, magnets and tape it still looks better than it did. Thanks again for the help!!

Also put the thermal detonator together. Still need to replace the silver screws with black ones though. But that I can do after initial approval as well ;)

Plan for tomorrow is to finish the belt, close the right upper leg on the back so I can put the ammo pouch around it on Sunday. Hopefully I will have time this weekend for the shoulder straps/bridges as well. Once that is done I can full on go for the strapping on everything! Exciting!! Really looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Photo's!

I removed (most of) the tape and magnets and clamps and other things keeping the pieces together while drying and remembered to make some photos:

IMG_20180630_183225-X2.jpg

IMG_20180630_183233-X2.jpg

IMG_20180630_183238-X2.jpg

IMG_20180630_183244-X2.jpg

IMG_20180630_183115-X2.jpg

Yeah baby!! :-)

Much less of an offset now. Nicely done. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Yeah baby!! :-)

Much less of an offset now. Nicely done. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, quite happy how it came out. The tips rigt now are still very pointy and sharp, so I will still trim that down a bit. But indeed it is looking excellent now.

Hopefully tonight I will get to put the ammoboxes on the upper leg and be (mostly) done with the legs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toxication said:

I removed (most of) the tape and magnets and clamps and other things keeping the pieces together while drying and remembered to make some photos:

IMG_20180630_183233-X2.jpg

Looking great Martijn, my only suggestion at this point would be to trim the length of the cover strip on the right shin, specifically the upper side. It should not extend past the edge of the armor but stop at the highest point. Also there should be no return edge on the bottom edge on both shins.

Keep up the great work.

• Like 1