Freduster's BlasTech E-11 Display Build

Freduster

Hey FISD, me again!

The spraypaint inside my helmet had to dry, and since everything else for the armor hasn't arrived yet, I decided to build a decent display for my E-11.

Shopping list: three pieces of wood, one base board and two "legs" to put the Blaster on. On top of that, a calculator, pencils, paper for sketching AAAAAND, for the first time since Grade 8 at High School, a different kind of rotary tool - a pair of compasses.

vzHceW1.jpg

Oh yeah, and an E-11 of course..

7kJ7DDo.jpg

I started by measuring how much wood I'd have to cut away for the legs, and I realised they had to be different shapes and different heights, due to the two spots of the blaster that I wanted the legs to hold, the back of the tube and the folding stock. So I started to calculate and sketch and ended up with this:

oHTsPPB.jpg

I then whipped out the good old jigsaw and started to work my way along the lines, always leaving about one millimetre of wood on top of where the pencil line was so I could adjust the fit with the dremel later. That's what it looked like:

FoLsbQs.jpg

First test fit looked quite good:

33I6YRT.jpg

However I realised the front leg was a bit too high, so I corrected that with the jigsaw. Then I realised the construction was everything but stable, so I used some of the extra wood from what I sawed out of the top of legs to create some triangular backings. Test fit still looked good:

nMNpK3D.jpg

njj68Wt.jpg

I finished the working day by spray painting one side of the wood objects black:

7uoXyvT.jpg

Whenever I find some time this week I'll paint the other side and then probably screw the legs onto the base board from underneath and then glue the two backings on with some wood glue.

Thought I'd just share this project, and perhaps I can inspire someone to recreate or evolve the display. And as always, critique and comments are always welcome :)

Next update shall follow soon...

Cheers, Freddy out :smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

Update time again! Managed to get some work done on the display while the helmet paint outside was drying. Drilled the 4 holes into the base plate where I wanted the blaster to sit in the end and the pre-drilled the holes into the legs. Afterwards I just screwed it all together and voilà:

6zalt5Y.jpg

I am still going to glue extra backings next to the legs to stabilise the thing more, so expect another update soon ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After all the paint dried and I was able to glue the wood pieces together that needed to be glued, this is what the display looks like finished:

x7qNqdG.jpg

I must say I am pretty happy with the result, but I had to add an extra wooden wedge to keep the blaster in an upright position. I think the mistake I made was that I didn't cut out enough wood from the front leg which left the blaster in a quite unstable position. However, if you guys are interested in rebuilding this amateur work, I would be more than happy to measure out everything exactly.

My last update will be one with the blaster display and the little metal plaque that I ordered from a German Garrison member, so this wasn't the last picture ;)

• Like 3