acobb202 requesting Pre-approval review (Anovos)

Hi everyone, this is my second build of a TK suit but my first time applying. Looking forward to representing the 501st (hopefully) in Southern Oregon.

Alex Cobb

Cloud City Garrison

Kit is all Anovos (armor, helmet, neck seal and belt).

Boots are Funtasma

I am 72” tall and weigh 215 lbs.

98c6e4325b56cdfe843195d0bbe8083a.jpg

b75fe4cb4c27f1de5f2080de6a09bed6.jpg

4cb11bbc89567b6bb74f2e4fca987435.jpg

1c6d27bb228ef416389b5229ba6c2e58.jpg

29a850555f4f41674ce5b5492140f719.jpg

1ac2ae7b8bd1d668e43a7672e26a2f29.jpg

5ab8904f85f9a68c5602fd8bac9b51db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good for basic! Some small tips/suggestions you could make:

• Your left shoulder bell has a larger gap from the shoulder bridge. I would tighten up the strap here.
  • Suiting up: make sure your TD is centered and that your shins align at the top (your right one is a little off)
  • Your kidney shim on your left side looks like it is slanted back? You could ensure that this makes a vertical seam, but that would probably be quite a bit of work.
  • Hard to tell in photos, but are the rivets on your knee ammo pack painted white?
  • Only a small part of your shoulder bridges are glued on the chest; I imagine that this is due to how everything fits. Just be careful here as they could easily be damaged. Not sure if you have considered perhaps reinforcing these.

Small stuff but some tipe that could help elevate your overall accuracy if you're looking for it! Like I said, should be an easy pass for basic! :)

Nice overall build on that kit, James!  Luc pointed out a few items that should be addressed with easy fixes, but it looks as if you are (hopefully) aiming for higher levels!

You should be good to go for basic approval, but if I may offer some additional suggestions they would be:

1.  Remove all the return edges on your shoulder bells.  This will help them stay closer to your biceps.  

2.  You can stop the left shin from shifting by adding a 1x1x8 inch of foam lengthwise on the inside of the cover strip.

3.  One thing that really jumps out is that you may have trimmed the chest a little too close at the arm openings.  This may affect any higher levels, but know that replacing the chest is certainly an option, and you are not alone,  (I had to replace my chest, back, and kidney for my first Centurion approval).

Below is a photo of a level 3 approved chest piece from someone of the same height.

You have obviously put a great deal of time and effort into this build, and it shows, brother.  Your back/kidney/butt plate connections are among the best I have ever seen, and those kidney shims show that you care about your appearance.  Once you are approved at basic level, I hope to see your EI application right after! 

Looks good for basic! Some small tips/suggestions you could make:
  • Your left shoulder bell has a larger gap from the shoulder bridge. I would tighten up the strap here.
  • Suiting up: make sure your TD is centered and that your shins align at the top (your right one is a little off)
  • Your kidney shim on your left side looks like it is slanted back? You could ensure that this makes a vertical seam, but that would probably be quite a bit of work.
  • Hard to tell in photos, but are the rivets on your knee ammo pack painted white?
  • Only a small part of your shoulder bridges are glued on the chest; I imagine that this is due to how everything fits. Just be careful here as they could easily be damaged. Not sure if you have considered perhaps reinforcing these.
Small stuff but some tipe that could help elevate your overall accuracy if you're looking for it! Like I said, should be an easy pass for basic!

I realized that I forgot to paint those rivets after I took the pictures and the shoulders are due to my height. If I move them more forward, then they do not reach the back plate.

• Like 1

Nice overall build on that kit, James!  Luc pointed out a few items that should be addressed with easy fixes, but it looks as if you are (hopefully) aiming for higher levels!
You should be good to go for basic approval, but if I may offer some additional suggestions they would be:

1.  Remove all the return edges on your shoulder bells.  This will help them stay closer to your biceps.  

2.  You can stop the left shin from shifting by adding a 1x1x8 inch of foam lengthwise on the inside of the cover strip.

3.  One thing that really jumps out is that you may have trimmed the chest a little too close at the arm openings.  This may affect any higher levels, but know that replacing the chest is certainly an option, and you are not alone,  (I had to replace my chest, back, and kidney for my first Centurion approval).

Below is a photo of a level 3 approved chest piece from someone of the same height.

You have obviously put a great deal of time and effort into this build, and it shows, brother.  Your back/kidney/butt plate connections are among the best I have ever seen, and those kidney shims show that you care about your appearance.  Once you are approved at basic level, I hope to see your EI application right after! 

Thank you! The back/kidney connection was a big problem on my first build. It had like a 3 inch gap so I really wanted to solve that for my 501st suit. I actually didn’t trim the chest at all, just removed some of the return edge so I could modify the shoulder connectors to lower the back plate.

As mentioned already above, I do not see any issues that will allow you to pass for basic approval. 

Removing the return edges from the biceps will help bring everything a bit closer together. If that doesn't work, you can try shortening the strapping. Good Luck brother. :duim:

Basically, you take a 1 inch thick piece of foam, cut it into a one inch wide strip about 8 inches long.  Then apply a strip of 1 inch wide Velcro (I recommend the industrial strength) onto one side and apply it onto the vertical seam inside the calf.  The reason I suggest using Velcro instead of just gluing it in is because it will get sweaty after a troop or 2, and you can remove it for cleaning.  My armor is packed away at the moment, James, but I will post up something here tomorrow for you!

Hey James/Alex looking good brother. If I had any suggestions to add to the above already mentioned it would be to reduce the gap between the bell to back and chest plates. Removing most the lower return edge on the bell should help with this greatly.

Lastly, though it probably won't effect basic approval the frown (teeth paint) should go all the way to the gum line. The first generation of Anovos costumes the had over spray, the latest gen doesn't have enough. No fault of yours of course ;) 

Good luck on your approval