Willeywonka's ANH Stunt Build (AP Armor)

willeywonka

Greetings everyone! Monday (2.26.18) was BBB Day for me. I got all the feels when my text notification came in letting me know the package was delivered. I drove like a madman leaving work and immediately tore into this glorious box of goodness.

IMG_1690.JPG.3cf645937435f97ff1f1218d810babea.JPG

First thing I did because it seemed like a good confidence booster (and because who doesn't want to try on a stormtrooper helmet for the first time?) was construct the helmet. I ordered it pre-trimmed so it went together fairly quickly. I still have some painting to do and need to place the lenses, but overall I'm happy with it so far!

IMG_1691.JPG.0bbca82b16ffd82293552328bd702c0a.JPGIMG_1692.JPG.5d3bbc80fdbc9b26f233a5e9632a5067.JPGIMG_1693.JPG.8a91b84df6cbd27c4f1cc15c92384627.JPGIMG_1694.JPG.37a4106aa24a7b880b512bf00a5b081a.JPGIMG_1696.JPG.80d3d1021bb44960fd3443bd00bd78ba.JPG

From there I started trimming... I was a bit nervous but, as we all know, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering.

IMG_1697.JPG.ef99d7ca0e44d0ae37a8b9ad4a2bf5e0.JPGIMG_1698.JPG.55fe7a019106deef044cb500acfaa061.JPGIMG_1699.JPG.b9408775ba8a5cd639619e8189f3082b.JPG

I made my first boo boo as well on the breastplate and wanted to cry. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I have read some good things about novus?

IMG_1700.JPG.bff9912754c05d0079634c566e7c1662.JPG

Here is the rest of my progress so far:

IMG_1705.JPG.18978a4d66e2035eb16f5b6d3b1e6b94.JPGIMG_1706.JPG.39ed8877fd3ee1c8f5c656733b1c3077.JPGIMG_1708.JPG.8386eff445203fa506390cce426fa231.JPGIMG_1715.JPG.be7822976d099b4bfd7c3c02a0b19650.JPGIMG_1717.JPG.6ea93ed7738d10f36fe534aeb89f9615.JPG

Any feedback is appreciated. Can't wait to make more progress. This weekend I'll go out and gather supplies.

Edited by willeywonka
Typo

Also, I was going to start trimming my forearm pieces last night and realized that it looks like they are all for one arm instead of a set for left and right. There is no “mirror image” for them like there are for the quad and shin pieces. I emailed Mark at AP and he said this is how they are supposed to be. Btw, shoutout to Mark. He has been awesome to work with.

My question for whoever is reading this is, won't they look somewhat unsymmetrical on one arm due to the fact that they are going to be the same shape on both arms?

IMG_1709.JPG.1d5060dae554b2095b8c9dfb5af2b0d7.JPGIMG_1711.JPG.dabe77d68cce4c007254a928b09cb167.JPGIMG_1712.JPG.3f9d7504be708185822ce8ca89d6110d.JPGIMG_1713.JPG.e990e19e481cbb0e78087f58f73af923.JPG

Just now, Frank1769 said:

Is that a full cut on the breast or a razor scratch? If it’s a scratch I’d try the Novus first. Hard to tell from the pics how bad it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Red Leader would say, "Negative! It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface." In other words, no, the blade just slipped and gave it a pretty good superficial cut/gouge. Thanks!

That gouge looks too deep for Novus. I would start with 800 grit sandpaper and wet sand it, moving up in grits to 1500 before moving to the Novus polishes. Don't sweat it too much though, it will buff out.

As for the arms, it's important to note that nothing about the stormtrooper is symmetrical. That, in my opinion, is what makes it so aesthetically pleasing! After they are fit to your arms, no one will notice that they are actually the same piece twice. I love my AP kit, I'm sure you will too!

I should add, yours isn'tnearly as bad as my biggest boo-boo. I was building my snap plates, burning holes in vinyl strapping with a solder iron, and ended up absentmindedly letting the iron touch my breastplate for a few seconds. Right smack in the middle of it too. I was sickened by the smell of melting ABS. Still haunts me. But with a bit of ABS paste, some good wet sanding, and Novus 1, 2 and 3, you can hardly tell it ever happened!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Neb Sgird said:

That gouge looks too deep for Novus. I would start with 800 grit sandpaper and wet sand it, moving up in grits to 1500 before moving to the Novus polishes. Don't sweat it too much though, it will buff out.

As for the arms, it's important to note that nothing about the stormtrooper is symmetrical. That, in my opinion, is what makes it so aesthetically pleasing! After they are fit to your arms, no one will notice that they are actually the same piece twice. I love my AP kit, I'm sure you will too!

Okay thanks I'll give that a shot. And I see what you're saying for sure. I have just always been somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to symmetry but it really is no big deal. I'm 100% satisfied with the overall look and quality of the armor. 

For the gauge press or rub down the raised area of the gauge using a smooth plastic/wood piece then wet sand area using 1500 grit then polish to bring back shine using novus or any car polishing compound, Lucky you that area will be covered 95% by the shoulder strap. :) 

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

What's up everybody! It's been awhile so I figured I'd provide an update on my progress so far. I went and got some much needed supplies over the weekend and was able to get a decent amount taken care of. It's funny how the more things you buy to help with the build the more you realize you need...

Anyway, I finished trimming out leg and thigh pieces and the ab/codpiece (as well as forearms but they aren't pictured).

EbQcowb.jpg

wrzcybm.jpg

I went ahead and spray painted the interior of my helmet flat black since I heard it helps reduce the ability for others to see into your helmet through your lenses. Plus, it just looks rather awesome. I also placed my lenses and am almost done painting. Just one more ear rank bar to paint and it'll be done! Still need to place some padding and hopefully run some fans eventually, but overall I'm pleased.

fKhVAUq.jpg

Vb7DRWn.jpg

0qhZTjx.jpg

A8GVuqt.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts so far!

I also ordered my boots from Imperial Boots so they should be here in a few weeks. Now I am running out of things to do before I have to start armor assembly. It's slightly terrifying haha.

Edited by willeywonka
Fixed image links

Jameson, you'll need to use the BB code to embed your photos in your threads. You'll likely get more feedback as it will make it easier for the rest of us to see your photos.

Use the direct link option when sharing from imgur, or you can do what I do and just type out [ img ] (just remove the spaces), paste the link and add ".jpg" at the end and then type [ \ img ] (again, no spaces) to close the tag. Seems complicated but you'll get used to it!

• Like 2

Alright everyone I need some help. I think I goofed up pretty bad and am hoping you can give me some advice on how best to proceed, or at the very least console me and talk me off the proverbial ledge haha.

In short, I think I have backed myself into a corner with my thigh trimming. After doing my initial rough trimming I somehow got it into my head (no clue how) that the front ridges on the thighs, shins, etc. should not be trimmed any further and began trimming substantial sections away from the back of my right thigh to give me a good fit. While I do have it trimmed down to where it fits nicely now, I have realized that I was supposed to remove more from the front ridges in order to have the proper size cover strip for my butt join. However, I can't trim anymore from the front because of how much I have already trimmed from the back. Here are some pictures.

O4BTces.jpg

inslTqK.jpg

sjb3jHH.jpg

PdgIfcc.jpg

Would this front cover strip work? I know it is pretty wide (about 1.5" or 40mm). I guess I could make it a thinner cover strip but then a pretty significant portion of the ridges would stick out and I have heard that is discouraged. I was going for centurion, and still hope to if there is a way to salvage this.

lmRHoSX.jpg

If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!

In other news, I have placed my ab buttons and I think they turned out pretty well.

pgmFYvS.jpg

• Like 1

You trimmed way too much material on the lower back of thigh, I don't think this will be approved!  Please study carefully photos of movie suits or look at the many builds going on here for refference or just ask before trimming anything your not sure as we are here to help.

The front leg strips is way wide it should be 2 cm max, you need to trim each side of thigh raised ridge to 1 cm on each side to accomodate the 2 cm cover strip 

Mark (AP)

1 hour ago, ABS80 said:

You trimmed way too much material on the lower back of thigh, I don't think this will be approved!  Please study carefully photos of movie suits or look at the many builds going on here for refference or just ask before trimming anything your not sure as we are here to help.

The front leg strips is way wide it should be 2 cm max, you need to trim each side of thigh raised ridge to 1 cm on each side to accomodate the 2 cm cover strip 

Mark (AP)

Welp...that's not what I was hoping to hear haha. Thanks for your feedback though. When you say you're not sure it will be approved do you mean even for basic approval or just for centurion level?

I am thinking I may be able to get it fixed if I trim the front to the proper measurements and use a shim in the back to make up for the missing material.

As far as your concern regarding the trimming on the lower back of the thigh, I actually spent a lot of time researching that and found a lot of information saying it varied based n the stormtrooper. Some didn't trim at all, some barely trimmed it and some trimmed it a lot. I am going for a bit more mobility so I trimmed a decent amount away. There are screen images I based it on. Here is one example:

PbLPP0E.png

The trooper on the left seems to have as much (or more) trimmed away than I do. The trooper on the right also has some trimmed away, but not as much as the one on the left.

4 hours ago, willeywonka said:

Welp...that's not what I was hoping to hear haha. Thanks for your feedback though. When you say you're not sure it will be approved do you mean even for basic approval or just for centurion level?

I am thinking I may be able to get it fixed if I trim the front to the proper measurements and use a shim in the back to make up for the missing material.

As far as your concern regarding the trimming on the lower back of the thigh, I actually spent a lot of time researching that and found a lot of information saying it varied based n the stormtrooper. Some didn't trim at all, some barely trimmed it and some trimmed it a lot. I am going for a bit more mobility so I trimmed a decent amount away. There are screen images I based it on. Here is one example:

PbLPP0E.png

The trooper on the left seems to have as much (or more) trimmed away than I do. The trooper on the right also has some trimmed away, but not as much as the one on the left.

Its the thigh ammo part that gives the illusion that more material is trimmed off since the thigh ammo is sitting lower giving the illusion of a bigger cut out arch, the correct way is to trim off without going over the raised lip.

Edited by ABS80

That cover strips would indeed be too wide. A shim is probably your best bet. Once that's in there, you will likely need to fill the seam that it creates before putting the cover strip on the back.

You should not remove material above the ridge at the knees. Doing something similar to the shim should make this salvageable. You'd install a piece of backing ABS, then cut a piece the same shape as what you cut away and then fill that seam as well.

8 hours ago, ABS80 said:

Its the thigh ammo part that gives the illusion that more material is trimmed off since the thigh ammo is sitting lower giving the illusion of a bigger cut out arch, the correct way is to trim off without going over the raised lip.

I'm not one to say I'm the expert by any means and will certainly abide by the general consensus, but I definitely think the image looks like it is cut above the ridge. You can clearly see the ridge in the other rear-thigh trimlines on both troopers, but on the one I am referring to I can't see it. Here is a another image (far less clear) that I used as well.

nxyjGDs.jpg

The trooper on the left again seems to have about the same amount as I do trimmed away from his right thigh. It just seems to me that if these were sign off on for the big screen then it could still be considered for approval. Just my humble opinion. Again, I will do what I need to do to be approved.

2 hours ago, lucnak said:

That cover strips would indeed be too wide. A shim is probably your best bet. Once that's in there, you will likely need to fill the seam that it creates before putting the cover strip on the back.

You should not remove material above the ridge at the knees. Doing something similar to the shim should make this salvageable. You'd install a piece of backing ABS, then cut a piece the same shape as what you cut away and then fill that seam as well.

Yeah, I think I should be fine to fix the cover strip width and may not even need to shim the back...we'll see *fingers crossed*. If I do need to go the route of filling seams and repairing the lower trimline, what do you recommend? I found this on Amazon and it seems like it may do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Coating-080115-Epoxy-Paste/dp/B000LNOJW6/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1520610441&sr=8-2&keywords=protective+coating+epoxy+paste+white&dpID=51HEUdwObSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thank you to you both for your time and feedback. I am not trying to be insubordinate, just presenting my evidence and opinion. I have definitely learned to take my time even more than I have been haha. I have been somewhat rushing because my wife teaches first grade and her students are pretty excited about getting to meet a real stormtrooper :)

Took this photo from TK-18004's Centurion application thread. You can see a clear photo of the thigh that has a cut out in the back. The ammo pack on the right thigh, at low resolution, may give the illusion of being part of the thigh.

38687290370_4fc10f2311_b.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Took this photo from TK-18004's Centurion application thread. You can see a clear photo of the thigh that has a cut out in the back. The ammo pack on the right thigh, at low resolution, may give the illusion of being part of the thigh.

38687290370_4fc10f2311_b.jpg

Thanks! This is very helpful. Any thoughts on the epoxy paste I found? I don't want to get something that will hurt the plastic. 

Ya, I think you'll end up wanting to cut some ABS pieces to size in order to re-fill the gap above the ridge and mix some ABS paste to act as glue and to hide the seams. Don't use epoxy glue, as it will be visible to the not-so-casual observer and will end up being harder to work with in this situation. ABS paste is the way to go because it is literally made from the same stuff as your armor, so it will blend in much better. Once you've sanded it back down (and I'm thinking wet-sanding with 1400 grit paper, then polishing), it shouldn't be all that noticeable. It's going to take some good sanding, and the back of your thighs might end up being more delicate than they otherwise would have, but your thighs are definitely salvageable. 

Don't lose heart, it will take some more work, but you could still make centurion!

See here for more info on ABS paste: 

• Like 1