Question about rivets???

i was wondering if rivets shown on armor, ie. side gaps are approved and 501st approved???? i thought in ANH, they had rivets on the side of their armor, isn't there a screen grab somewhere?????? thanks!!!!!

Yes, and actually those are really not even looked at here, and especially by most GML's. If you are going to do it, use split rivets and paint them white. There are four on the left side (two on the ab and two on the kidney), and three on the right. There is also a larger silver button (possibly a snap) on the top of the ab plate on the right side.

If you want to be uber accurate!!!

What the Elite requirements mean by no visible rivets are the snap rivets people use to attach their shoulder straps to the chest and to hold the thighs together.

These were also used on the sniper plate, as well as on the power pack on the right thigh.

The gallery has several. Here is a lionk to one, and you can follow the gallery from there:

----------

Scott

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 year later...

1. No - there should be no visible rivets on the shoulder straps.

2. For EIB side rivets are not required but encouraged. If we can get a good definition as to their size - either exact or what we can consider acceptable and for spacing as well, we can add this to EIB as "nice to have but not required".

2. For EIB side rivets are not required but encouraged. If we can get a good definition as to their size - either exact or what we can consider acceptable and for spacing as well, we can add this to EIB as "nice to have but not required".

You could drill them out and fill in the holes and glue them correctly.

I'm glad they are not a requirement! That will be my saving grace going for EIB since I had a dyslexic moment and put mine on the wrong side lol.

What do you mean side rivets?

I'm glad they are not a requirement! That will be my saving grace going for EIB since I had a dyslexic moment and put mine on the wrong side lol.

Its cheaper if I dont. The guy is almost my size, and I was trying to cut corners but I dont want to crack the armor. The belt is cracking and I can see how weak the material is.

Allen

Side Rivets may not be a requirement for EIB but if they are fitted they must be on the correct side as per screen used armour.

Sorry mate :(

Here's a picture from Stukatroopers tutorial. He attached the 2 halves via 3 elastic straps, with female snaps. The rivets you see are used to attach the male snap to the armor.

------------

You can also just have 6 "fake" rivets or snaps showing, and attach the armor halves with velcro.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

pandatrooper said:
Here's a picture from Stukatroopers tutorial. He attached the 2 halves via 3 elastic straps, with female snaps. The rivets you see are used to attach the male snap to the armor.

------------

You can also just have 6 "fake" rivets or snaps showing, and attach the armor halves with velcro.

that sounds much easier than glue!

Link to that tutorial?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Allen

Side Rivets may not be a requirement for EIB but if they are fitted they must be on the correct side as per screen used armour.

Sorry mate :(

Well easy enough to fix, they are riveted to my shims... I was hoping not to have to do it, but I'm trying to build the suit to meet EIB requirements whether I get it or not.

Daetrin said:

When i added the side rivets to my armour after doing a little research and checking out the screen grabs i decided on 9mm jeans rivets, which look pretty dead on to me ;)

They are equally spaced out along the depth of the armour and about 10mm from the edge. If you are working with TM armour there is a nice line to follow as seen on the screen used suits. Most screen grabs show them painted white to blend in but as you see from this archive picture they either were not all painted or it has rubbed off...

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks Mark! I updated CRL & EIB with this info as MAY HAVE's.

There are a total of 6 rivets on the left hand side, 3 on the ab and 3 on the kidney plate but the upper most on the ab plate is tucked under the chest plate in my photo, i have ammended the CRL & EIB with this info Paul ;)