Another Vac Form Table Underway

I've finally started my vacuum form table build. I decided to make the frame out of steel for longevity and stability. Also I've got a welder and need an excuse to use it. I thought I would share my build with you guys. I started by making a set of plans so I could work out all the measurements and adapt it to steel. I'll post them soon in case someone is interested in the details. I'll update the plans as I go. If this table turns out viable I plan on remaking some of the troublesome parts of my FX armor. Hopefully, making it a lot more screen accurate in the process. My ultimate goal is just to make it fit better. Then there's all those other costumes I want to make.

So here it is as of today.

-John

1st Frame section

T8vzoWy.jpg

Two down one to go

xUsEt2i.jpg

Welded frames.

OzhVc8P.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

Cool!

How come the one side is so much lower? I'm assuming that's for the oven, but it still seems low.

How are you planning on attaching the two plastic holding pieces together? I'm still thinking how I'm going to do that myself (It's the last thing I need to do!) I want something quick, so I picked up a few latches at the hardware store, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it lately.

Doesn't look like you'll need it, but let me know if you need anything :)

I was going to do something like what is shown on this website: Material frame latch As far as the oven side being low, by the time it's all together it should be just right. Otherwise I'll be making changes. :) Either way I'll be posting my progress. If you come up with a better way of making the latches let me know.

-John

Interesting to see another vacuumforming machine. Funny is, that you probably discover. That this construction of machine is good for start not for wide use. When you push limits of this construction, if you want sharp pulls.

You are right. I've got to start somewhere. What better education than building one from scratch and learning what works and what doesn't. I suppose I could have gone out and spent $7000 dollars on a commercial unit but that wouldn't be any fun. Besides, it's just a hobby. That's all I'm planning on using it for anyway. RC car bodies, airplane cowls some trooper parts. You know, hobby stuff.

Hey Alex, I'm planning on ABS eventually. Does your table use a single hole platen? I'm a little on the fence about which way to go.

It's a little it of an investment but I'm going to use the heck out of it. My list of vac formed projects are piling up fast.

I picked up my surge tanks today. I'll have about 22 gallons of surge vacuum and a shop Vac supplement.

Does your table use a single hole platen? I'm a little on the fence about which way to go.

I know next to nothing about Vac-forming, but I did attend a panel held by Spat at a local con where he went into his setup. He used a multi-hole pattern and it seemed to help.

just throwing that out there.

Nice progress so far John.

I've started with a single hole table like studio creations. I've since gone to a multi hole setup. I prefer the multi hole for more versatility but does seem to require a better vacuum source. I have quite an elaborate vacuum system now.

Nice progress so far John.

I've started with a single hole table like studio creations. I've since gone to a multi hole setup. I prefer the multi hole for more versatility but does seem to require a better vacuum source. I have quite an elaborate vacuum system now.

Hey Chris, are you using a dual vac pump/ shop vac setup?

Hey Chris, are you using a dual vac pump/ shop vac setup?

I use a vac chamber and shop vac system. I use a 2" check valve in the shop vac line for when I give it a short "blast" with the vacuum chamber to keep it from losing suction through the shop vac.

I use multihole system too. You can make more complex shapes and you will have sharp pulls, if molds are prepared correctly. But you need stronger vacuum pump and vacuum chamber.

Working process:

1/ fix plastic sheet into frame and start heat it

2/ put mold on forming table

3/ when plastic is almost ready run vacuum pump and make underpressure/vacuum in vacuum chamber with closed valve to working table.

4/ move heated plastic to mold and open valve

5/ when cooling stop heating

VacTrooper: may be, this is why you haven´t that sharp pulls

I use multihole system too. You can make more complex shapes and you will have sharp pulls, if molds are prepared correctly. But you need stronger vacuum pump and vacuum chamber.

Working process:

1/ fix plastic sheet into frame and start heat it

2/ put mold on forming table

3/ when plastic is almost ready run vacuum pump and make underpressure/vacuum in vacuum chamber with closed valve to working table.

4/ move heated plastic to mold and open valve

5/ when cooling stop heating

VacTrooper: may be, this is why you haven´t that sharp pulls

you'd be right, i just use a 5 HP shop vac... :rolleyes:

don't have to money for a pump... yet. ;)

It isn´t always about money. I had luck to buy cheap older vacum pump. And it is working fine, it only needs three phase motor to operate.

you'd be right, i just use a 5 HP shop vac... :rolleyes:

don't have to money for a pump... yet. ;)

A lot of my parts came in this week. Oven parts from Mor Electric. Holding frame clamps from Rockler woodworking. A Gast vacuum pump from Ebay and some air tanks from Pep Boys.

I went over my dimensions a 4th time and sure enough I made a mistake on the oven side. Matt you were right it is low. About 3 inches. Looks like I'll be fixing that next. Measure 6 times redo it twice is my motto. :rolleyes:

DQY6ZNQ.jpg

tzB1kGy.jpg

HQOkZhl.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

Looking great John. I really like the cam lock idea. Let us know how it works. My suggestion would be to use four (4) cam locks on three sides with a continuous piano hinge on the fourth. 2 cam locks opposite the hinge and one each adjacent side.

As for suction. I was able to build a vacuum chamber pretty cheap. I use an Gage 2067 Oil less vacuum pump bought for about $35. I had some old motors around but if you don't have any this would be the biggest expense. I have a 1 1/2 HP motor which I eventually did buy for about $40 (I got lucky I almost spent about $200 on a new one). For the chamber I use an old 20 or 30 gallon propane tank which was going to be scraped. Add maybe another $50 to $80 for suction hose, pipe, valves, fittings, gauges, etc. I haven't hooked up the gauge yet but it pulls very very well for my uses (mostly ABS). I only use the chamber for difficult pulls like a helmet and a few other pieces.

Damn this is looking good! You should go into the vac table business!

Hey, Thanks Lucas.

Looking great John. I really like the cam lock idea. Let us know how it works. My suggestion would be to use four (4) cam locks on three sides with a continuous piano hinge on the fourth. 2 cam locks opposite the hinge and one each adjacent side.

Thats exacty what I'm planning on doing. Great minds think alike.

One thing is building Vac Form machine and another make molds. smile.gif

True. Good thing I took sculpture in art school. :)

Anyway, it should be fun.

-John