ANH canvas belt question, detail or just age?

Mr V

Hi all,

i am just about to make my canvas belt but need to finalise some details.

The Rs original suit belt appears to have a frayed edge, top and bottom, I had asumed this was from age. Some of the newer troops out there have nice new belts, with a slightly frayed edge. So.... do i fray the edge?

Also the stitch type seems to be just a straight stitch along the top and bottom?

any feed back welcomed.

I guess it depends what you are going for. I like the clean non frayed edges. Looks crisper.

Yes there is just a stick going across the top and bottom.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm with Allan on the "clean crisp" look of the edges.  No matter which path you choose, here is a tip:  Give your canvas belt a few coats of Scotchguard protectant.  This will make it much easier to clean, (trust me, it WILL get dirty after a few troops).   I like my Hero and Stunt belts to stay clean (OCD, LOL).  My HWT belt is another story.. the dirtier (battle worn) the better.

• Like 1

My understanding,which may well be wrong, is the fraying is because it was not a finished edge. Essentially they cut strips of canvas, and I think denim (others will know better) and sewed them together.

As the belts are used the unfinished edge would just fray. Mines unfinished and it's rather frayed, i.e. It's pretty accurate.

I'm just a bit OCD, (just a bit, mind you) but those frayed edges would drive me bonkers.  Since you are making your own belt, I would seriously advise putting a piece of thin plastic inside (like a strip from a plastic "For Sale" sign).  This will stop it from drooping like one of those Anovos belts.

Time zone difference is great! i go to bed posting a question and all the answers are there in the morning! thanks guys.

I think i will give the frayed edge a miss.

This is my design drawing. The canvas will be rolled 3-4 times and a sheet of plastic inserted for the holster to attached onto (reduce sag).

36029412134_c7e82570c0_z.jpgTK belt construction

13 minutes ago, Rob .T . said:

The movie belts frayed , so should yours . It's all about screen accuracy .

There is always a bit of "wiggle room" concerning "screen accuracy".  Should we always strive for it?  Of course!  But, there are some things we simply cannot do, like:

1.  We can't all build a TK with the original strapping system.  It entails using the bracket method, which is beyond many first time builders' experience.  The snap method achieves the same result without the extra work.

2.  Carry a 100% accurate E-11.  We have standards, of course, but to insist that everyone should have an exact replica of the ones used onscreen is not that feasible.  Some are made of rubber, some of resin, but we allow them because they are close.  Perfect?  No.  But again,  not everyone can afford to purchase a decommissioned Sterling and  transform it.  It is simply cost prohibitive for the average Trooper, and we want everyone to get out there and enjoy Trooping!

I guess what I am trying to say is that we have to make allowances for certain things.  If we were striving for 100% accuracy there would be very few of those who reach EI and Centurion.

• Like 1

You do as you like. But RS sells their belt as how their original belt was made. So it will fray. It has nothing to do with age, it's how the belt is sew together. all the original belts frayed even when new, just like yours.

And the decision is.....frayed edge.

i freeze framed the scene where the TK is facing Liea after being stunned. There is a good close up of the waist. It is not 100% in focus but it certainly looks frayed. Thanks for all responses. 

• Like 1

Well, for a test run i am going to do it this way.

1) Fold four layers. This will provide a stable edge that will not fray.

2) sandwich between two separate pieces (Top left image).

3) Sew together.

4) Fray the edge and trim.

36212226653_be0219e1a8_z.jpgTK belt