Building Armour From Scrap (Cardboard)

ok, I'm 16. I've read all these things about vacuumn machines and molds and such. I don't have much of an understanding of how they work, where to get the materials, how to build them, and such; that would be up to my dad to figure out. Unfortunately we do not have the room, nor the type of money to spend on things to make stormtrooper armour. So, since I'm the only one in the family who really wants it, I've decided to make it myself. (with the aid of my creative talented sister)

My basic materials are white paper, black construction paper for some details, cardboard (it looks like 2-3 layers I think), some thinner cardboard, and toilet paper rolls (you know, the stuff they use to hold the paper on?). [No padding, styrophoam, tubing, or whatever.]

My main question is how thick do I need the armour to be so I don't look more like a box or something.

If anyone has any ideas or comments on how I should do it, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Athrun Zala

sounds very intresting

i heard a lot of young guys who wants to build their own armor

but this project sounds very realistic to me

i´m sure you could build up a nice armor from these materials

and if you are talented it could look like a real stormtrooper

maybe you should do some researches about papermachee technics

could be very useful

Along the way you'll learn how to make it out of other materials. My first Star Wars costume was made out of things around the house. Plywood, scavenged model parts black spray paint. What ever it takes. It's amazing how much much stuff like that you see in SW ANH. I was painting an X-wing cockpit for a project I'm working on and right there in the photo reference is a kitchen sink strainer with the bottom cut off glued to the dashboard of Luke's Xwing.

Good luck on your project.

-John

You could always try using craft foam from Michael's or another art supply store. Its very inexpensive. Armed with the craft foam and a hot glue gun and some velcro, you can make a pretty cool costume. :)

Here is a pic of my daughters costume that we put together in about 3 days. You could do a much more realistic version. Its much lighter than cardboard too. You could make the whole costume for about $20 and pic up a helmet on ebay for $15-$200 depending upon how nice you want it.

100_1441.jpg

100_1440.jpg

Nice job Mike. I made a tk suit for my nephew as well out of the Foamie foam. FYI you can buy big rolls of it at Jo Ann's Fabric store. Michaels does not carry the big rolls (at least near me they don't). The two problems I had with it was that one it tears (boys are a bit hard on the armor), and you gotta find a strong glue. I found that the glue they sell for Foamie foam does not hold up at all. Make sure you reinforce any areas that are obvious stress zones.

Athrun,

Check out this link, he shows how to build the armor out of Foamie Foam... http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html ...you want the MINI TROOPER section near the bottom. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Some of the parts are tricky to make (shoulder bells).

• Like 1

Athrun,

Check out this link, he shows how to build the armor out of Foamie Foam... <a href="http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html" target="_blank">http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html</a> ...you want the MINI TROOPER section near the bottom. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Some of the parts are tricky to make (shoulder bells).

unfortunately I live in Chile and have no clue where to get anything...or what they have here. and I'm unsure whether my dad will go out of his way to buy the stuff when I already have a suplly of cardboard.

so the guy on the site used 3mm sheets. should I make it 3 mm thick then?