CableGuy's RWA ANH Stormtrooper build (#cleared#) - target...Centurion

CableGuy

### UPDATE 03/02/2018 - for any new readers (spoiler alert), this armour is build is now complete. Here’s a link to my ‘highlights’ video (not a tutorial);

EIB #783 review: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43534-tk42911-requesting-eib-status-anh-rwa-783/

Centurion #366 review: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43577-tk42911-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-rwa-366/

Happy reading :)

—————————————

Hi all, 

After recently refurbishing my 12 year old SDS stunt helmet, I'm pleased to be starting my proper WIP thread. I'm starting with the helmet and will be ordering my armour asap. 

So, MBB (medium brown box) day was yesterday. I saw lots of great builds and feedback for RWA kits so sent Ross an email to get things moving. Firstly, he's dead helpful and helped me choose the right bits for a newbie builder. 

So, I ordered the ANH stunt lid, 1.5mm ABS, and eagerly awaited delivery. Only took a couple of days and it was with me. 

Thankfully, I had a day off booked so started (and finished) the initial build yesterday. 

Here's some pics with a little detail in between.

gd6vLy6.jpg

Check list:

coffee

tools 

iPad prepped for Ross' YouTube tutorials

double check I've got coffee (!)

good to go. ;-)

SZQ8spC.jpg

I started by marking out the initial cut lines. 

yYnTSG1.jpg

zQb7ANg.jpg

Once cut, I tried fitting the brow trim and noticed that the front edge of the dome had a protruding lip (below) - this was pushing the brow trim out at an angle, which didn't look right to me. I took the Dremel to it and flattened it out. 

HweA7AT.jpg

hU1CvPr.jpg

As this is my first lid build, and first time using a Dremel, I marked out for the eyes leaving a lot of wiggle room. 

6DTXui2.jpg

C6EP8w2.jpg

6udV6Qd.jpg

tVADZmC.jpg

A little bit of Dremel fun later and the eyes were coming on nicely. I finished off the finer details with a selection of small files.  Same for the teeth/frown. 

BEYF65C.jpg

As I wanted to avoid a total blunder, I had left quite a lot of meat on the sides of the "face" section. This ended up preventing the back section fitting flush - most of this came off later. 

lKTdXDm.jpg

qj7owlV.jpg

5PvOde2.jpg

Time to start on the ears. Took it slow and kept checking the fit between Dremeling. 

qFO4tDp.jpg

Pretty pleased wth the end result. :-)

hHd3XNa.jpg

9IwMAm3.jpg

HiNeODm.jpg

Here's a shot without the ear. Due to alignment adjustments, I ended up with an extra hole. Eeek. 

sZqEzB0.jpg

Time to tr the underside. 

09FLRTw.jpg

27Yuwww.jpg

And here we are - ready to paint. In my opinion, it looks a lot better than the SDS. 

0ULPmJw.jpg

XSWcFlP.jpg

I'll be starting my armour build as soon as I can and will use this thread to carry it on. 

Any feedback welcome. 

Thanks,

Dan :-)

Edited by CableGuy
Updates

Hi all. 

Starting painting last night. Satin black (85) for mic tips and vocoder. Not completely finished these bits yet but first coat is looking okay, I think. ;-)

GVKndsF.jpg

15f5rGT.jpg

gsAazbz.jpg

dhBu3gM.jpg

lblq59Z.jpg

More to follow shortly. :-)

• Like 4

Hi all,
Slow but steady progress. With two young children it's sometimes hard to find "trooper time". ;-)

I've been working on the traps and decided to follow the method of Black first, grey later. With my previous lid I did grey first, then tried to carefully apply the black pinstripe. Although I was quite pleased with the results at the time, I've quickly seen that this other method is working much better for me. Here's some pics. 

First, marked my boundaries with a pencil. 

zjy0G18.jpg

Carefully applied the gloss black. 

hFHRhnQ.jpg

pScZn3W.jpg

YQ5kvYL.jpg

Overlap the grey to create a nice sized pinstripe. 

L8PXjyu.jpg

FS1rtyl.jpg

Moving on to frown and ears. 

UMoZFpn.jpg

cJKapiY.jpg

VUGugJk.jpg

More to follow soon. :-)

• Like 1

Hi All,

More progress made over the last couple of days. I must admit, I'm thoroughly enjoying this!!! :-)

Rear traps were okay for my existing templates (from TK4510), however the RWA tears/face traps are a little smaller so I had to go free hand, just using a top and bottom mask. 

Also touched up the ears, frown, and another coat on the vocoder. 

mNM5rPa.jpg

RTgwMcu.jpg

FySmoI0.jpg

T7IvHCd.jpg

R2GEj0r.jpg

Cl4WwWT.jpg

And here's some artistic shots...

wfa5w9A.jpg

Nslrrae.jpg

ZvPUFRk.jpg

qDchXCz.jpg

P8WXWCj.jpg

It's a great lid to work with, and so far I'm really pleased with the progress. Next up, tube stripes, mic tips and lenses. I might also trip the left ear a little too. I know that gaps are to be expected - and vary from helmet to helmet, including screen used - but I feel I can do better.

More updates soon. :-)

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Slow but steady progress. Got a feeling my daughter is excited about daddy becoming a trooper:

eadsMic.jpg

Moved on to the tube stripes and the rank bars on the ears. Used the supplied tube templates that came with the kit. 

Had to lose a stripe from the right side due to the ear positioning. 

I had a recommendation over on the UKG forum to try applying the tube stripes with a sponge rather than a brush to help reduce bleed. Worked okay on one side but not so great on the other. Thankfully, cleaning bleed up is quite easy with a trusted toothpick. 

TuYgcqV.jpg

lsu03Rv.jpg

mwJHcUJ.jpg

Before and after the toothpick fun. 
XMhmjPQ.jpg

9Dr6gVz.jpg

Z6k3ja9.jpg

KoD4PX0.jpg

I'm really pleased so far. Any comments or feedback welcomed. :-)

Looking Good Trooper! Great Progress. Check the reference pics, as it looks like you could open the left eye a little more.

13 minutes ago, 68Brick said:

Looking Good Trooper! Great Progress. Check the reference pics, as it looks like you could open the left eye a little more.

Many thanks, Brad. I'll take another look before I fit the lenses. I'm also tempted to fine tune the ears too. :-)

Stop the press - my armour is ordered!!! "Excited" is not the word!!! :-)
Did a few more tweaks on my lid. 
Frown paint extended a little - just to add to the perceived depth. Added the frown mesh also. Used strong Velcro for now, allowing for cleaning or replacement at a later date (if needed). 
Will paint the ear screws next to finish off the outside.

EpzSesL.jpg 

MU57QC2.jpg 

yZdCEkz.jpg 

And, it's official...my 5 year old daughter approves of daddy becoming a TK. :-)

TGjJ37h.jpg 

Just the ear screws to paint and the mic tip mesh to install, then she's finished. On to the internal padding and electronics after that. :-)

Found your thread when I was finishing up my bucket and you helped push me over the edge to hand paint the finishing touches.

Thanks for a good painting thread.

:D

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 46325 said:

Found your thread when I was finishing up my bucket and you helped push me over the edge to hand paint the finishing touches.

Thanks for a good painting thread.

:D

Hi Dana,

That's very kind. I've thoroughly enjoyed the process so far and glad it helped sway your decision to hand paint. :-)

• Like 2

Morning all

So, whilst I wait for my armour to arrive, I may have had a little spending spree. I've ordered a Doopeydoos E-11 kit, TRamp, Holster and need to measure up for gloves and Neckseal. 

After seeing a link on another build thread, I think I'll buy the boots as they are (Amazon most likely) and dye them. £35 seems pretty reasonable. 

Feels like Birthday and Christmas rolled into one. :-)

• Like 2

Looks like you're making decent progress.  The doopy doo kits are pretty decent, once they arrive, but there's a few mods that can be made to make them even better for it a huge amount of money more. 

20 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Looks like you're making decent progress.  The doopy doo kits are pretty decent, once they arrive, but there's a few mods that can be made to make them even better for it a huge amount of money more. 

Thanks Chris. Any tips for the DD? I know I'll need to get the metal 'track' (is that the right word)? I've seen others change the sight and counter too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :-)

BTW, my Anker power pack arrived. It should fit nicely at the back of my lid. A bit like this but with the Anker at the back:

TyGt7XB.jpg 

I'm going to make my own bracket too using ABS. I'm going to try 3mm and see how that goes. :-)

Edited by CableGuy
  • Like 1

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33740-themaninthesuitcase-doopydoo-build/

Thats' my DD build thread, think it lists where most of the bits came from.  Just bare in mind my end cap clip is a bout 4-5mm too close to the end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33740-themaninthesuitcase-doopydoo-build/

Thats' my DD build thread, think it lists where most of the bits came from.  Just bare in mind my end cap clip is a bout 4-5mm too close to the end.

Wow - thanks Chris. What a great thread/build. Love what you did with the 3D printed parts. :-)

Hi all,

Finally got around to finishing the outside of my lid. All I had left was to paint the ear screws and finish off the mic tips.

As I'd seen others do, I used an AA battery as a size template:

dtuPF2K.jpg 

Marked around the battery, then carefully cut out a "circle". (As the mesh is flexible, cutting a circle isn't quite as easy as it sounds... lol )

sMACN5b.jpg 

Fitted the screw covers using a small dab of hot glue, then carefully applied them using a combination of a toothpick and a sticky fixer to lower the cover into the mic tip.

tMKD7MM.jpg 

Then carefully squeezed the mesh into the mic tip. The left one was a slightly tighter fit - as such, it looks like a closer weave than the right mic tip. I might change these later, possibly...

OJUmbLF.jpg 

Not much to say about the ear screws - used gloss white Humbrol. 

87RYOjP.jpg

1sQiASm.jpg 

I also hear that my armour delivery is not too far away. I might be slightly excited about that!! :-)

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I've had great fun opening my post this week. So far I've received my gloves, under suit, boots, as well as little bits to help with the upcoming build. 

Here's the boots:

j4cfgo1.jpg 

I got confirmation yesterday that my RWA armour is ready to ship!!! Now, I know I'm new to this but I thought something was missing... ;-)

QRW9WOH.jpg 

I also started lining the helmet with some black EVA. 

45qLx2k.jpg 

PdkP02R.jpg 

V6B555Q.jpg 

And, just for fun, I did a quick comparison of my lid vs screen used. 

WXgpeTL.jpg

Credit to starwarshelmets.com for the excellent reference pics. :-)

More to come soon. :-)

More deliveries today. Also ordered my E-11 completion kit from T-Jay. Not sure whether that'll arrive before of after the Doopy kit? My guess would be T-Jay's kit for the win... 

My helmet fans were ordered on Amazon and came from China. Delivery estimate was between Aug 15th and 25th, so pleasantly surprised when they arrived today (Aug 4th..) :-)

LTlxb4K.jpg?1

Question; Does anyone have any advise on how far this little 29.5ml tube of E6000 will go, baring in mind I have a whole kit to build?

Many thanks,

Dan :-)

3 hours ago, Holland said:

Helmet is looking great Dan! I'll be keeping an eye on your build while I wait for my RWA kit to ship, hopefully, a lot of the questions I'll have will also be answered in your build before I even need to ask. ;)

Cheers Adam. Hopefully can get started on it next week. :-)

In the meantime, I started on my lid electronics this evening. I have tested running two 5v fans from my Anker power pack, each with its own individual switch. Whilst I got the configuration for the circuit correct, I started joining everything together. 

All works well, just need to fit it all into the lid. 

Here's some pics of my progress. 

SaqaXuN.jpg

hf69Knx.jpg 

knsnYd1.jpg 

vcWzeYx.jpg 

:-)

Edited by CableGuy

Morning all,

Had the great pleasure of meeting some lovely UKG members yesterday in Fordingbridge (near the New Forrest). They were there along with the local toy fair.

Special thanks to Phil Riches (GML) and Lee (the pictured TK) for having a quick chat with this newbie. ;-)

be82a2a8997d907828b24a3d8426097c.jpg

After our little day trip, I carried on lining the inside of my lid. I'm using self-adhesive EVA sheets for the main blackout. I'm also using cycle helmet pads for adjustment padding to reduce the lid wobbling.

ec5e055faab68b8092f60ed096034fa4.jpg

d52a0f041ddeec5441ac2e19321b8349.jpg

a8ece7fe4be26dad677745448e7ae68d.png

Can't wait to start my armour next week. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi all,
More work on my lid, fitting the fans and power pack.

a7e1df85ab81253cc8707e77863cf91e.jpg

Had my holster delivered from ISD:

89708e57a8f4912dfcb9e6bbea0ed87f.jpg

Also had a delivery from Tino (T-Jay). Got my completion kit for my E-11 build, if the Doopy's kit ever arrives. ;-)

ac024a1479bae8c7b12bfff2a7d83d33.jpg

Hopefully, my armour should be delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1