Edmonton Alberta Pride Parade, and the first ever Badlands presence!

Oh no! This isn't my first troop.... Nor my first Pride troop :)

(first troop I felt my stars were aligned in every way though, and I was at ease....)

First time we could parade in Edmonton.

Yes. It was a great time. As it always is when our Garrison troops together.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Whoops! My fault! Well you just continue on being awesome with what you do lol!
  • Like 4

Whoops! My fault! Well you just continue on being awesome with what you do lol!

Thank you!!!!!

Ā 

• Like 2

I am glad the Legion does it's best to spread care, love, and kindness to those who are struggling, but I'm curious as to why it's taking part in sexual rallies?

Ā 

Don't get me wrong, I just want to remind everyone what the Legion is really for. It was started as a means to entertain kids, those who are hurting in hospitals, who are dealing with physical hurts and suffering. I don't speak in objection to one kind of sexual rally, but any. I don't want to see the name of the organisation used in a way it wasn't intended for originally, which as stated, was for kids. I hope Teresa that you understand my point. The Legion is a gift, a gift for all. Why do we have to use it for sexuality topics? I'm not meaning just one person's sexuality, but everyone's. So I'm not picking at any group here, just wondering why we are using this family orientated organisation in our rallies?Ā 

Edited by Par_
  • Like 1

I am glad the Legion does it's best to spread care, love, and kindness to those who are struggling, but I'm curious as to why it's taking part in sexual rallies?

Ā 

Don't get me wrong, I just want to remind everyone what the Legion is really for. It was started as a means to entertain kids, those who are hurting in hospitals, who are dealing with physical hurts and suffering. I don't speak in objection to one kind of sexual rally, but any. I don't want to see the name of the organisation used in a way it wasn't intended for originally, which as stated, was for kids. I hope Teresa that you understand my point. The Legion is a gift, a gift for all. Why do we have to use it for sexuality topics? I'm not meaning just one person's sexuality, but everyone's. So I'm not picking at any group here, just wondering why we are using this family orientated organisation in our rallies?

It's funny that you think this is about sexuality.... Or a sexual rally. It was a parade. Full of families. For families and individuals. Oh so many children. This isn't about being gay or straight really if you break it down to its fundamental core.

This is about supporting families. Children. People. Adults. People that need a support, Joy, a SW presence to brighten a day or mood. - no different than any other function or event we support. And attend. You just happen to not subscribe to this particular belief or cause. Which is your right.

It's also about supporting members in each of our Garrisons that deserve to be treated decently and fair and equal. Every Garrison has a gay man or woman. Lots have transgender. Do we view them differently,? Maybe some do...some dont. I sure do not.

Everyone in our Legion has the right to either troop or not if they feel an event doesn't fit their personal volunteering mandate. That is a personal choice. As would be attending a Pride event in support of fairness and equality.

I trooped against rape and sexual abuses and violence against women... This is no different. We troop against abuses against children....

Charitable events supporting people in need.

That is what a Pride event is. People that need support.

I'm so very sorry you seem to find it a negative, questionable non deserving Event. Of Legion participation.

But, that is your right to feel this way. To not ever troop it or support its people struggling.

I'd hope though, you'd not judge nor condemn or fight against those choosing or wishing to.

Ā 

Though I see your point, and understand your perspective, I disagree. And that's OK. No one has to agree with me. If people cannot support such events, simply do not attend. But it should be open for all that choose to go. I'm grateful our Garrison participates. I choose to go proudly. As I do for any other event needing us.

Thank you for speaking honestly, and without hate or cruelty. I really appreciated that you presented your views kindly. I feel differently than you do. It's OK for us to disagree and still care for or be respectful to one another.

As I said earlier on in my original posting, this is my log of my day. My thoughts. My views. My opinions. No one else needs to subscribe to them.

Thank you for leaving your opinion.

ā¤

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

Ā 

Don't get me wrong, I just want to remind everyone what the Legion is really for. It was started as a means to entertain kids, those who are hurting in hospitals, who are dealing with physical hurts and suffering. I don't speak in objection to one kind of sexual rally, but any. I don't want to see the name of the organisation used in a way it wasn't intended for originally, which as stated, was for kids. I hope Teresa that you understand my point. The Legion is a gift, a gift for all. Why do we have to use it for sexuality topics? I'm not meaning just one person's sexuality, but everyone's. So I'm not picking at any group here, just wondering why we are using this family orientated organisation in our rallies?Ā 

Pride at its very core is about support. It is about representation and a physical vocalization of said support. There are children in this world who are gay or trans and when they see their favorite characters marching alongside them and for them, that must be unspeakably uplifting for them.Ā 

Ā 

You talk about this organization being started as a support for sick kids and as entertainment. I think it might be our duty to take it beyond that and use these costumes as a way to stand up against hate and prejudice. You don't have to march in the parade if you feel that's what you have to do. But to say none of us can and that we are wrong to want to do good with something we love and that we've been given permission as a Legion to do? That's sort of defeating the purpose of the group as a whole.Ā 

Ā 

Sorry. I don't buy it.Ā 

• Like 2

From a young boy on the sides of the Pride parade lines decked out in rainbow glory, when he ran into the road arms outstretched to hug me.....

Ā 

"Captain Phasma! I love you! Are you really here in support of me? For real!?"

As I reached tenderly towards his excited disbelieving face with my clumsy chrome fingers I replied in my best Phasma Brit voice....

"Yes youngling. I'm here for you."

He had tears. Of joy. Of Pride. Of acceptance. I was squeezed so hard, he dislodged my belt.....

That was a child. A gay Child. Seeking The Captains approval that he was ok....

It was no different the feeling in my heart, than that of my youngling Declan I support fighting for his life through leukemia. Each of those boys deserved this Captains best. And they get it. Every time I step into my armor..... ā¤

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

From a young boy on the sides of the Pride parade lines decked out in rainbow glory, when he ran into the road arms outstretched to hug me.....

Ā 

"Captain Phasma! I love you! Are you really here in support of me? For real!?"

As I reached tenderly towards his excited disbelieving face with my clumsy chrome fingers I replied in my best Phasma Brit voice....

"Yes youngling. I'm here for you."

He had tears. Of joy. Of Pride. Of acceptance. I was squeezed so hard, he dislodged my belt.....

That was a child. A gay Child. Seeking The Captains approval that he was ok....

It was no different the feeling in my heart, than that of my youngling Declan I support fighting for his life through leukemia. Each of those boys deserved this Captains best. And they get it. Every time I step into my armor..... ā¤

Ā 

Ā 

That being said, my brother jokingly gave me heck that my belt was hanging at the end of the parade.... "Jesus Woman.... Your a mess! Pull yourself together! " As they fixed my belt. (Because I'm mostly useless in Phasma ) I knew exactly when it was unsnapped....

Ā 

No problem! It isn't my position nor is it right to speak from a harsh and disrespectful point of view.

Ā 

And by every means, those people are great human beings! Every one of us is a human being, and every human deserves our respect in times of struggle and hardship. Not for their choices, but because they have different things in their lives that they deal with. Some things are ok, some aren't. I'm not saying these' people's views aren't right or they are, I'm just talking about anything in general. I don't feel it's the Legion's place to be involved with rallies that involved sexuality, but I do believe it is it's place to support discouraged children that feel depressed or hurt, and for that reason entirely.

Ā 

In regards to these things I'm only concerned about supporting any sexuality through a children's support organization such as this. We shouldn't be exposing any sexuality to children until their proper time in life has come to know about such topics. I'm just keen to make sure this stays a family orientated group, and I know that everyone's intention is for the best. I would support anyone that needed help or felt that nobody liked them, that's because I shouldn't view them through their sexuality's, but rather, their person and soul. I say that because even certain sexualities can have their problems too, and that doesn't make them right. Having said that, I'm not saying one sexuality is bad compared to the other, I am just speaking from a generic point of view. Ā 

Ā 

I'm very glad you were also respectful and open to my opinion on the matter, it feels nice when we can openly state our stances on important topics. It also comforts me to be able to discuss this in a non-debating way (contrary to how the rest of the world likes to discuss things) :)

Ā 

Forgive me admins for using sexuality as a topic a lot in this post. I don't wish to break the rules. If you want Teresa, we can continue discussion in pm's :)

Edited by Par_
  • Like 1

No problem! It isn't my position nor is it right to speak from a harsh and disrespectful point of view.

Ā 

And by every means, those people are great human beings! Every one of us is a human being, and every human deserves our respect in times of struggle and hardship. Not for their choices, but because they have different things in their lives that they deal with. Some things are ok, some aren't. I'm not saying these' people's views aren't right or they are, I'm just talking about anything in general. I don't feel it's the Legion's place to be involved with rallies that involved sexuality, but I do believe it is it's place to support discouraged children that feel depressed or hurt, and for that reason entirely.

Ā 

In regards to these things I'm only concerned about supporting any sexuality through a children's support organization such as this. We shouldn't be exposing any sexuality to children until their proper time in life has come to know about such topics. I'm just keen to make sure this stays a family orientated group, and I know that everyone's intention is for the best. I would support anyone that needed help or felt that nobody liked them, that's because I shouldn't view them through their sexuality's, but rather, their person and soul. I say that because even certain sexualities can have their problems too, and that doesn't make them right. Having said that, I'm not saying one sexuality is bad compared to the other, I am just speaking from a generic point of view.

Ā 

I'm very glad you were also respectful and open to my opinion on the matter, it feels nice when we can openly state our stances on important topics. It also comforts me to be able to discuss this in a non-debating way (contrary to how the rest of the world likes to discuss things) :)

Ā 

Forgive me admins for using sexuality as a topic a lot in this post. I don't wish to break the rules. If you want Teresa, we can continue discussion in pm's :)

I have many responses to this last message.

Most I will respond to you privately with.

One I will discuss is the family issue that is mentioned often. Or the children....

That we cater to or support just children in this Legion. So not true..... I know we support all. Gay. Straight. Black. White. Man Woman Child. Any race, any religion, and color, Creed or sexual orientation. Because..... Humans are humans. Period. People in support or need, are exactly that. We show up to support them. To bring joy. To add happiness. Bring out the inner nerd in them. Inspire that inner child. Through Star Wars. In plastic, metal, fiberglass, foam, latex, and fabric costumes!!!!! This is a hobby! And a volunteer role to make life just a bit brighter for someone. Anyone.

Ive attended troops where no children were involved. Or primarily those responding were adults.

A Pride Celebration is to support a group of people, ( children included here. Lots of them) that are discriminated against, non supported, abused, alienated, hurt, mentally abused, suffering, hoping for acceptance and wanting to have the right to be just like anyone else. No different than women that endure violences. Children's abuses. Suicide awareness. (Yes, Children kill themselves) Ridiculed because the can't speak properly? Or shunned because they are mentally or physically challenged? Have autism? Cancer? (Yes, children are shunned because they have cancer. Kids can be cruel)

Have you ever had discussions with a gay man or woman? Asked what life has been like for them? The mental or physical pain they have endured? Found out how if feels to live in a body you know is incorrect for you as you begin to transgender?

Have you attended a Pride Celebration? I mean really taken part in one? Embraced strangers you stood beside? Asked them questions? Listened to a different point of view other than your own? Heard tales of their life and struggles?

Have you seen the terror and anguish on a child's/teen/youth/young adults face because they know they are not the approved of sexual orientation, and are horrified to their core to tell someone because the rejection and alienation is so real? Don't kid yourself..... Children very young know they are "different" from the others. It has nothing to do with being exposed to sexuality before they are ready...

That they choose to kill themselves over being rejected by their family and peers? (Adults do this too)

These hurts or needs are very real struggles for every straight or non straight human being. All of which, we troop for.

I think very much this falls under a Legion support. In every sense of what we do!

Again, just my opinion. My heart tells me it's right to the core of my being.

There are gay children struggling for acceptance. That grow into adults. Struggling To be heard. To be loved for whom they are. And if I'm a child or adults hero in my armor, that brings tears to their eyes when I tell them I will not judge them - that I will support them, that I chose to troop just for them, to make them smile, then I could not be more proud to be TK-41307 in this 501st Legion.

Ā 

I'm struggling to see your point now..... It seems our views of the Legion are what differ here really. Not the gay community. Or offering a support to it.

And I'd love to explore this further with you. I'm not understanding where you are coming from, and perhaps you can explain it to me in a way that makes sense to me. From your point of view. I know how I feel. And what I believe in.

I'd like to know why you feel as you do. What experiences you have had, that causes your views to be as such.

We do not need to agree with one another, but I'm certain we can have a good discussion about it regardless.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Soulart
  • Like 1