Edmonton Alberta Pride Parade, and the first ever Badlands presence!

It finally happened!

The ability to troop officially in a Legion Pride event in Edmonton!!!!!!!

Whoa... hold your horses girl.... Back up a bit TK!

(I'm getting ahead of myself here.....) Dear Vader....let's start the tale properly shall we????

* bit of a backstory needs telling first *

Our Garrisons FIRST ever Legion approved Pride event actually took place last June 2016.... In Grande Prairie Alberta. Near my remote, Northern Albertan community- An Oilfield city, mainly fueled by that activity and a strong farming presence. Bit rednecky yes, but they did it! That city has one! (Again, an entirely different posting that I've not been able to write about yet)

How incredible and fitting that the first Pride we fought to officially troop in, was also this city's first official Pride Celebration in the city's history. 6 members trooped this momentous occasion. The Original VI we were named...

That involvement opened the door for our Garrison to experience the first in our history.

Since last June, we have proudly trooped and supported one another in 3 official 501st Pride events. Still a couple more to go this year.

Now! Let's talk about this Saturday, June. 10 2017 in Edmonton...

(OK. Back on track)

We tried to get into the Edmonton Pride Parade last year. It's a very strict procedure, and many rules. A Very long running, established Pride Celebration. It was disheartening when our application was denied last year. My Brother so desperately wanted to be part of this.

Having walked for my first time in this parade beside him over 20 years ago, ( as a plain clothed Sister) it was very exciting to finally get the news to be allowed to participate in it this year!!!!!

Oh no... no regular clothes this time! Let's yet again, leap in the vehicle, and drive 5.5 hours to troop, and turn around and drive home! I'd be trooping in my Phasma, as her shininess seemed appropriate. I whipped up sparkly pink gaskets and neck seals for my brother and I, as well as a seal for my TK twin.

The Original VI were on site again for this event, joined by other members of the Garrison, as well as The Saber Guild/Echo Base Temple.

It was truly amazing. The energy was high everyone was happy! Elated! Joyful! Excited! The energy was electric and powerful. Colorful.

Every walk of life was there, in support of one another as human beings. The humanness, was all that mattered to me. I was mindful of everything. Every detail. Every nuance. Every mood. Being there to offer my support to equality for all is vital to my heart.

I know not everyone is in support of this. I know it's a subject that brings up strong emotion and deep debate, judgements, and controversy. Hatred. Fear. I refuse to be part of such things. I was prepared to be kicked out of the Legion last year for being adamant on trooping GP family Pride event. My TK twin refused to let me troop it alone. We were only 6 in the end.

I cannot be a part of, or give of myself to an organization that cannot support or accept its own members. Be you gay, straight, transgender or no gender.... We are who we are. We are all deserving of Fair treatment and acceptance.

No different than abuses against women. Or children. Ones Ability to learn to read or talk. The events, causes and charities we support or endorse are all the same....we do them for awareness. For equality. For support. Because we can. Because of the individual Lives we choose to care for.

I do not expect or hope that anyone else agrees with my posting. This is an account of my personal experiences surrounding this topic that touches my heart, and how it affects this Trooper. Everyone is entitled to opinions and feelings, and no one has to support me in this.

I'm grateful to have shared this Parade with other members in my garrison. As well as our Commanding Officer, his wife and daughter. I was profoundly affected by this day shared with all of them. For SO many reasons. Here are just some.

1. My recruit Kelly joined me on this road trip. It was his first parade of any kind. His second troop ever. And he was nervous. He didn't know what to expect. I recalled my own terror at my first parade. My first troops. I was happy to help him though it. I kept checking on him as we marched. He did amazing!!!! He was affected by this experience, and got to bond with members he will rarely troop with. It helped him feel part of something special. Feel some of the beauty that being a 501 member can bring. The closeness. The feeling of a caring supportive, non judgemental family.

2. The Original VI that trooped the first Pride, were all together. My brother Peter (FOTK) Douglas (Kylo) Aaron (ANH Hero) Nicole (ANH Stunt, myself (ANH Stunt) and Xan our handler extraordinaire! In the shirts I had made for them. Our own love and Pride of one another ringing true and clear!!!!! We bonded from that experience last year, and knew we were part of something special. For ourselves, our Garrison, and it's members we love. We have shared 3 together now. This event Nicole was Ventress and I, The Captain.

3. We were joined by the Saber Guild, Echo Base Temple members too. A sharing of event with Sister legions. Not just the bad guys of a Universe we love, but a united gathering for a common good. I love that!!!!! I'd like to see more events shared. After all, we do the same thing. You cannot have light without dark...

4. My brother desperately wanted the Edmonton Pride troop. It had great meaning for him, and I wished to be by his side every step. To share in this experience is indescribable, and is it's own posting really! He looked spectacular. I watched him dance! Get the crowd going! Reveled in his Joy of trooping. His Happiness to be there front and center. Feeling safe and free to be trooping as a gay man, in a parade which is designed to support all those simply striving to be accepted for whom they are. Yes I cried in my Phasma helmet as I proudly watched him as his big sister, his Garrison mate, and as his childhood protector. This memory no one can ever take from me. I wanted to shout it out to everyone "HEY!!!! That's my amazing Brother! And he's utterly fabulous! Look at him!" I think I watched him and his man enjoy this parade, more than I paid attention to anything else.

5. This was the first troop ever, I felt comfortable and at ease in my armor. In myself. What I was doing there at an event. I know this sounds odd, but it's true!!!!

I had new boots that I could have trooped in for days, I knew I'd have no armor malfunctions, I felt confident we'd be well received and welcomed, I was surrounded by people I love deeply and trust, and I believed with every fiber in my being, that what we were doing was vital. Important. Special. Had meaning and value. I trooped with all my heart and soul this day. Ever aware and mindful For the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex we each have as members in EVERY one of our Garrisons throughout this Legion. We just aren't made up of straight people......

I marched in honor and support of you. My brother. His amazing partner. Countless Friends and loved ones. Strangers. My Garrison family members. There was no fear. No hate. Only love. Delight!

6. I have hopes that as there's more Garrison participation, other Garrisons will allow their respective members to officially troop. And support. We don't always make it to every troop. Some we choose to not go to because it feels wrong to do. Or we simply cannot. I believe that if members were willing to participate, they should not be denied.

I personally don't believe in trooping for some certain causes or raising money for certain charities. But I go because it's the people struggling that matter. The human Lives and hearts that matter. That need our support. I may not believe in or subscribe to the charity, or cause. I do not have to. But I will always give of myself for those Lives we are caring or trooping for. Always.

7. I hold hope our Garrisons participation in these events opens the door to others. Inspires others to openly support one another.

We again will have Garrison patches and a beautiful coin to share with you all. As I did last year, I either traded or simply gave away mine if you shared why they were important for you to have or collect. They hold special meaning to me, as my heart is in them. This year I will do the same. You must again share part of yourself if you wish to have mine ❤ as we are connected by our experiences.

Please enjoy some of my pics of this day.

As before, with Unquestioned loyalty to the legion and those I hold dear,

TK 41307

SoulArt

Badlands Garrison

Alberta Canada

5e3999e751a818332e06f199739b550d.jpg658b5074cb6aa353c781cea1e2e044d3.jpg4a26698ffb9ca9a4a33a38be879dd2ca.jpg9199024053a66411bcd9b53523179f4e.jpgf1b22ee99b1e403b433cf22739108427.jpg41fcff12ba78bf58bced6273774b4c04.jpg4c399a4fbeb4f9bda6df598640c2109c.jpg2cf88d13149ec9bfa3866fdcacc42e04.jpged62850e1d915c156ca7c086a23209bb.jpgc3bb16efad0f31dd9ba4c571873012fa.jpg2e8b4c401a718031ba38bab7638aba1e.jpgf0640cd2391ef7bcc3cfe3de3759de14.jpgcfa00475b35795c26c45841815fee5f4.jpg4a0cc1fd2386525690b2db4449aa6af7.jpge7b891cf6296bf33f171d4cf16ed53d2.jpg9b9eb0f25d105b359e5ff6f244b90623.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Edited by Soulart
  • Like 5

Absolutely stellar write up my TK Twin!

I was blown away by the by the reception we received from the crowd - you could have sworn we were walking through with Lord Stanley's Cup after winning the playoffs.

Thank you for sharing this epically phenomenal experience - Bucket off to you Captain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That is awesome! So glad you had a great experience on that troop.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Absolutely stellar write up my TK Twin!

I was blown away by the by the reception we received from the crowd - you could have sworn we were walking through with Lord Stanley's Cup after winning the playoffs.

Thank you for sharing this epically phenomenal experience - Bucket off to you Captain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was unbelievable the cheering for us. At first I thought "No... it can't be for us..."

Yep! It was! Way to make us feel like Rockstars!!!!! HA! Oh so good. Happy to have shared another Pride experience with you my twin!

• Like 2

As soon as I get my first build out of the way and approved I'll be looking into this here in my Garrison.

• Like 2

That is awesome! So glad you had a great experience on that troop.

Every Pride we have trooped has been a phenomenal experience. The Calgary one last Sept saw over 20 of us trooping together

This one had a very beautiful feeling to it. It is hard to describe ....

• Like 2

I do hope that more Garrison's will participate in Pride parade. I'm with you on the not having to agree or like every troop, because it's about the people affected that matter.

• Like 2

As soon as I get my first build out of the way and approved I'll be looking into this here in my Garrison.

Good luck!! The rainbow on the armor is wall vinyl. Removable. Will not damage the armor.

For our breast cancer runs, we have pink ribbons all over our armor. It's beautiful, and a great temporary way to decorate for events without damaging the integrity in an armor.

Edited by Soulart
  • Like 2

Good luck!! The rainbow on the armor is way vinyl. Removable. Will not damage the armor.

For our breast cancer runs, we have pink ribbons all over our armor. It's beautiful, and a great temporary way to decorate for events without damaging the integrity in an armor.

Good to know. Where do you get them from?

• Like 1

Oh and thank you. Though I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as luck. ;-)

• Like 2

I do hope that more Garrison's will participate in Pride parade. I'm with you on the not having to agree or like every troop, because it's about the people affected that matter.

The one we have in a couple weeks is a family carnival. It's an all day celebration for the entire day, for every age. Not "showy" like the parades, nor blatant in nature. Very interactive, like a con setting. We have our backdrop, our designated area, where we talk to people. Greet them, pose for pics. Last year was the city's first ever Pride Celebration, and I really like the idea of the full family friendly day. It's a fun, safe environment for the LGBT community and all those that support. They have an adult only Party in White (can't get whiter than a StormTrooper) gala afterwards, and this year they have included something similar for teens and children! Healthy. Safe. Involving and supporting all.

I'm looking forward to being there again this year. If I was attending the party in white this year, I'd actually choose to head to the teen/children function!

• Like 2

Oh and thank you. Though I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as luck. ;-)

No. You are right. Trust to luck? No. Create your own fate. Carpe diem. Get out there and shake the pillars and foundation of the Universe! ❤

• Like 2

No. You are right. Trust to luck? No. Create your own fate. Carpe diem. Get out there and shake the pillars and foundation of the Universe! ❤

That's what life is about the difference you can make.

• Like 2

Good to know. Where do you get them from?

Pride Trooper from NYC and a couple others I know of have used electrical tape. The wall vinyl and transfer tape can be purchased at any sign shop or ordered on line. If you know anyone that can cut for you awesome. Or simply measure out stripes at home.

• Like 2

That's what life is about the difference you can make.

We choose to volunteer and give of ourselves in the hopes to make a difference somehow. In someone's life. To see people smile. To lift them up. To let them know they matter. That they aren't alone.

In the Legion, We just happen to also Dress in costume from a sci fi movie from the 70's...... That people lose it over! I have given of myself always. In or out of costume. Simply because I can. I feel the saying "Those that have the ability to give of themselves, have the responsibility to do so" Is true for me.

Life is short, and there's so much horror and pain in this world. I'm not blind to it. I know it exists, and it breaks my heart to see. I just choose to participate in the beauty. The caring. I choose to give and share. Dressing in armor not only fulfills my need to anonymously give of my time to others, but also my love of creating. Costuming. Sewing. Being a nerdy/super geeky girl. Ones Garrison mates become a family. One that is connected all over the world! On top of making children and adults smile, we gain oh so much more. We are so much more. ❤ a group of individuals all working together for a common good or goal. -A community. More importantly, a family.

• Like 2

Telling it to the choir here. Absolutely agree.

Bahaha. Oh I had a smart a$$ comment....

• Like 2

I believe it.

• Like 2

Something about singing in a choir.... (I actually did sing in a choir for years) I was going to tease or be silly.... I'll leave that til you get to know my personality better!!!!!

• Like 1

Thank you for this Silver Sister. My love for you and your passion knows no bounds.

You know I love you long time!!!!!!!

Edited by Soulart
  • Like 1

Very nice Jon Teresa and Aaron. It looked like a great time. Teresa congrats on your first troop!

Oh no! This isn't my first troop.... Nor my first Pride troop :)

(first troop I felt my stars were aligned in every way though, and I was at ease....)

First time we could parade in Edmonton.

Yes. It was a great time. As it always is when our Garrison troops together.

• Like 2