How do you cut your screws?

Hey, guys. I tried cutting screws myself with a pair of pliers that came with wire cutters, and that went... well... horribly. :smiley-sw013: The nut for the screw could not go back on the screw, because of the way the screw was cut.  Luckily, I managed to fix it. Of course, I still have many other screws to cut, and I was wondering, what tools do you guys use to cut the screws? And without making it so the screw cannot be used again? Thanks!

I used pliers for one helmet, the other I marked with paint, then removed the screws, put on a couple of nuts below the mark, locked in a vice and cut off excess with hacksaw, then cleaned cut with a file, then removed the nuts.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

Best way I've found is to either the eat gmrhodes13 suggested or I have a pair of wire strippers that have holes for specific size screws. You thread the screws in to the desired length and squeeze the strippers and it cuts the screw flush. Thread the screw out and your finished.

I found those tricky to get accurate lengths.  Also hard to cut with but that may be the pliers.  

I'd also recommend filing the end smooth after as most methods of cutting will leave sharp edges.

• Like 1

I wrap the "good" threads with tape to protect them, hold them with pliers, lop off the excess with a hacksaw, and clean up the new tip with a file. Takes maybe 30 seconds per screw and works every time.

• Like 1