Heat source for vacuum fourmer

Hey, guys. I am in the process of making a vacuum former, but I need a heat source. I can't use the same oven that I cook food in, nor do I want to buy a whole oven just for this project. :smiley-sw013: I have looked at heaters, lights, etc, but I am not sure if they can melt plastic, or if they are sturdy enough for a vacuum former. Or they are in the hundreds in cost. What do you guys use for a heating element? Where could I buy a cheap, but effective, heat source? Thanks!

There may be a few issues when dealing with heat guns.  First, they are designed to heat up a centralized area, and by heat up I mean HOT!  They can reach temperatures of 1100 degrees, and take quite a bit of practice.  (Trust me).

You will need something with a wide surface area that distributes the heat evenly over the entire surface of the piece you are working on.

• Like 1

You definitely want to get something that will heat the entire piece of plastic and evenly. If not you will waste alot of plastic and money. Also you will want to time your heating process once you get to that point to keep from over or under heating. Find what time works best. There are numerous types of heaters that you can use. The one for you depends on what kind of former you are building and what size. Try to buy one that puts out alot of heat and also distributes the heat over the whole piece of plastic. Don't go small, you will only heat the middle. The outside edges of the plastic will remain cool and will not form to your molds. If you are heating your plastic from the underside , I've noticed that alot of people use the infrared patio heaters. Although I'm not sure if they would be good as a top heat source. Heat rises and may damage the unit after some time. Hope this is helpful.

• Like 2

I have built a few 24 x 24 machines and the best reference I've found was The Prop Builder's Molding and Casting Handbook by Thurston James.  https://www.amazon.com/Prop-Builders-Molding-Casting-Handbook/dp/1558701281 Some of the info is a bit dated, but there is a chapter on building a Vac-table.  I built the version from the book, then modified the frame for a second over and under style.  The heating coils and ceramic insulator posts were purchased through MOR Electric heating 22Ga NiCrome coils and ceramic posts here http://www.morelectricheating.com/products/NICHROME%20WIRE%20COILS%20AND%20ACCESSORIES.aspx   It is not as difficult as you may think.  My first heating source was a set of 5 halogen shop lights mounted in a wooden frame... crude but worked pretty well in 1997  Lol...  good luck.