How important is the interior strapping?

zemzero

I see for Centurion you need to submit an interior strapping picture. Can anything be messed up with someones strapping that it causes someones eligibility to be held back?

I was pretty messy on the inside when building my armor and it really looks like crap, especially the arms and thighs. The glue has turned a translucent black from sweating through my undersuit, I have sharpie and pencil writings all over from when I was measuring. It really looks bad. The torso is fairly clean, just some of the strapping is a bit frayed.

I still haven't even sent pictures in for 501st approval yet, heh, but if there's something I can fix now, I'd rather do it now.

lKA09y.jpg

GmLey2.jpg

nNQcu9.jpg

wXFxzD.jpg

• Like 1

It's what's on the outside that counts, Braff.  Interior strapping is pretty much up to the builder, as long as it functions correctly.  Some use single snaps, some (like myself) double snaps like you have on your ab/chest connection or a combination of both as you have done, some use Velcro, and some go with the "classic" bracket system.  Any of these can get you to EIB and Centurion, and it looks as if have done a really nice job!!

P.S., GREAT to hear that you are aiming for level 3!   :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Braff,

Without the interior strapping, your armor is very, very difficult to wear.  So to answer your question, it is very important.  :D

Joseph fully covered the answer that I would give with regards to the appearance of the strapping.  So kudos to him for the answer, kudos to you for asking a smart question in a timely manner, and major kudos to you for working towards higher approvals now.

That is awesome to see, and your build looks like it is well on its way, based on what we can see in the pictures here in this thread.  See if you can't get the bottom of the shins to sit more smoothly over the tops of the boots though.

Keep at it!!  See you at Centurion!

Alright, thanks guys! If the strapping layout/looks hardly matter (Outside of obvious mistakes, like using white elastic!) why show off the pictures? Just so you guys can get an overall look at the armor?

I installed an elastic stirrup to the shins with velcro so I can adjust the height. I might have made the bottom of the shins too narrow/tight so they ride up real easy and scratch the boots. Hopefully the stirrup will help. But overall I'm happy with the armor. I can walk up and down stairs with ease and didn't really cut away the back of the thighs and I can even sit. I go down and get up like a pregnant woman but still, I can do it!

• Like 1

LoL.  Sounds like you've got a very good fit going on then.  I think that most of the "Stormtroopers can't..." Stems from a reality that is "most Stormtroopers won't..."  I can also sit, run, jump, kneel, all sorts of awesome things that I'm "not supposed to be able to do."

As for the pictures, yes... Gives an overall look at the armor, and while it doesn't matter to the appearance in a picture, the strapping may (if done "wrong/oddly") cause hindrances for some people to move, or make the armor move in odd ways while you're wearing it.  If something that looks like it may pose a problem is seen, suggestions can be offered to the Trooper.  It really is just an overall look at the entire armor though, when all is said and done.

Good deal, thanks for the help.

When making my armor I wanted a lot of mobility too, especially being able to kneel down to take pictures with the kids or people in wheel chairs, etc. I get pretty bad rashes and scrapes behind the knee, but I tweak the suit after every con. Here's hoping I'll get my TK number soon!

Great job on your armor Braff! Also the pictures can be seen by newbies to see how others have done it. Plus we like pictures! Hope to see you approved soon and heading to the EIB submission section.