FX Thighs

Hey all. Last bit of armour building left and that is my FX thighs. I left these last because I'm a little hesitant. I have a few questions.

First - Do I glue the fronts then test fit and trim? Or should I tape off the front? I only need to trim the back?

Second - I've just read something SuperTrooper posted about the left thigh being larger than the right. I still need to trim the right thigh? ST mentioned that about 3-1/2" at the bottom and about 1-1/2" off the top should be taken off. I also suppose I trim all the way up the back length of the thigh?

Thanks.

DD.

i glued the front then trimmed the back. not the overlapping part though the part that sits underneath. measure what you think you need to trim then take half off to start with, then gradually take more off till you get a good fit, it may turn out that you over estimated and this way you don't take too much off resulting in shim city.

the left is slightly bigger, but once i got the belt on the bottom of the right one the size difference isn't noticable.

but to be honest taping is a safer method if you are a bit unsure

Sorry to jack the thread slightly, but from what I've seen and read, should the FX thighs be trimmed into a cone shape? Like, smaller at the bottom than at the top, right?

That's correct. The FX thighs are quite barrel shaped untrimmed, but the left is the worst. A tailor's tape measure is a huge help as the right thigh fit me very will and I trimmed the left to match. And you should always cut less than what you think as you can always take more off later.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone put up a photo of trimmed FX armour, front and back? I've glued the fronts, then went about adjusting it. If I've done it correctly (haven't cut or glued the back yet), I'll be cutting about 4-5" from the top and even more from the bottom. That seems to much and the ridge's won't match up or they look funky. Again, I'm at work so I'll post a picture to show you what I mean. This is the last bit of major assembly I need to do and I want it to go right. My next project (which I've started) is my son's PHII clone trooper armour out of foam.

Thanks for the help guys!

DD.

EDIT: Okay. Got some photos. The second picture (back of thighs), does this look off? Should it be a certain width? Or straighter?

Anyways, does it look narrow enough at the bottom?

WGxxtf0.jpg

duR6gRA.jpg

there isnt a whole lot you can do with the ridges, especially on the bigger thigh since you have cut so much out. what ive done is where the "ridge" is starts the taper up for the notch is to make the ridge half the width. opens it up a little. you could even just cut the vertical line and the the original horizontal edges

That is more or less what mine look like. I'm not a big guy so I had to trim my FX thighs down quite a bit. I even cut off part of the ridge from the underlaping (is that a word?) part of the thigh because it felt odd other wise.

Okay, I got the taper I like. But, how much above the knee should the thigh piece be? I put the left thigh and left calf on and it pinches my knee cap severely. I can't even walk without my knee cap being jammed between the two! Do I need to cut the top thigh portion to allow it to be move up and away from my knee cap? This is proving to be a real pain in the a very impolite person! I've been looking at the Elite Status photos, but can't really get a good measurement from them.

Thanks again for all the help!

DD.