How do you do invisible shims???

By "invisible" I'm guessing you mean ones that can't be seen... so yes, they are pretty much the same as "normal" shims.

Since the nature of shims is to bridge a gap between two sides of armor that can't another wise meet (be glued together) they are going to be visible to the degree that the sides don't reach. However, you "hide" them by using the same color plastic (or ABS) for the shim.

I have plastic shims on the backs of my thighs and fabric shims on my calves and while you can see them when you look at pictures of me no one ever "notices" them. I know I never did.

Hope that helps!

i thought invisable shims are more like doing a seemless assembly. Like basically adding the shim flush to the edge of the plastic, to "extend" it, and then putting a support piece of ABS on the inside and then filling the seem on the outside....

Am i being clear ?...sometime i dont know if i am...haha

But yea i thought an invisbale shim was something along those lines

i thought invisable shims are more like doing a seemless assembly. Like basically adding the shim flush to the edge of the plastic, to "extend" it, and then putting a support piece of ABS on the inside and then filling the seem on the outside....

Am i being clear ?...sometime i dont know if i am...haha

But yea i thought an invisbale shim was something along those lines

i thought something like that too...but does anyone know where a tutorial is on it????

i thought something like that too...but does anyone know where a tutorial is on it????

Luis

I might be wrong but, I think there was a link to a clone trooper build in one of the posts on here.

I'm sure that I've seen it, it might be one of 'Stukatrooper's tutorials but don't quote me on that. :unsure:

If I find it I'll post the link on here :)

Just curious why do you want to do invisible shims? That is definately a clone thing because they were CGI creations...good ole TK's have obvious sperations in there armor a la 1970's. ^_^

Places I can see it happening:

1) Side gaps - most guys are just covering the gap but you can still see that now it's a white gap between front and back instead of a true butt fit.

2) Backs of thighs - yes there should be that lip but it shouldn't be 4" wide. Some people use a lot of shimming, so just filling in the back entirely and running a strip on the exterior may look more aesthetically pleasing.