Celebration Europe 2016 Rogue One Stormtrooper Back Pack Build

I am already starting to change my Backpack also into Ver.2 . Now with more information and more authentic parts, thanks to Ian ;P Good work you guys did.

A.Buschenhofen 6485

Thanks Alexander,

can't wait to see your upgraded version 2 pack as your version 1 was one of the first ones out there  :duim:

• Like 1

This is my version 2 field pack. This is what we are heading towards with this build thread. The 2 photographs were taken under different lighting conditions. There will be more pictures soon of the other side of the pack. This was built using all the components and techniques that will be discussed and shown here. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the thread.

14725722_1795764417374862_46287064532967

14696817_1795337987417505_1829488853_n_z

• Like 3

I wonder if back in the day, the ANH stuff was as plentiful and possible to find as this back pack was.

Yes I suspect it was. A lot of what they used was found items or repurposed objects and clothing. However, do not speak to soon as the M75 frame is proving harder and harder to find. It is now especially difficult to source over here in Europe. Also the the shoulder strap hook greeblie is a very rare item to find. The team here involved with this back pack build was lucky enough to acquire a limited number of them to supply Star Wars costumers.

• Like 2

Man, Im trying to figure out the alice pack straps...not having too much luck. Can only find ones in woodland camo with the same padding length.

Those sound like the ones you need. Quick release LC-1 alice pack shoulder straps with extra padding in woodland camo are what is used on the Rogue One field pack.

Those sound like the ones you need. Quick release LC-1 alice pack shoulder straps with extra padding in woodland camo are what is used on the Rogue One field pack.

Yeh, I did manage to read that after finding this post from Chris's facebook link to this thread. THANKS! 

• Like 2

Yes - we will mention the Hot Toys Jedha TK with large pack. There are a few points that are off as with all the HTs, but the figure does look awesome, and we may refer to it if necessary.

But one of the most intriguing points is that aside from FN2187, we have a second OT era TK with a number - TK421, and now TK14057. Will our orange pauldron TK get a named / numbered mention in the film? More interesting, there is a 501st member with that designation.  :)

• Like 1

Bonus Section

As a nod to the release of some awesome R1 posters and the latest trailer last week, the team thought that we should cut across the build thread and divulge what we have found out about the metal hook greeblie used on the left shoulder strap of the pack. Our observations will again relate to the CE prop. However we do know that this greeblie is present on all packs seen in trailers, the sizzle reel, and promo pics, along with the Hot Toy. It should be noted that certain insights have also been provided to the team by Andy Rodgers of DA Props and Face Book forum ‘The Shed of Glittering Delights’.

27756743203_b7c8e60d52_o_zpsqtsxtci4.jpg

20160715_140731_zpsncrfmhoh.jpg

As stated, in keeping with the rest of the build thread, the observations presented here are based primarily on the back pack seen, and photographed, at Celebration Europe 2016 (CE). The various trailers and the sizzle reel indicate that the hook greeblie is present on all of the Jedha large back packs seen to date, although shots from these sources are not detailed enough to contribute to any detailed analyses of the greeblie itself.

Towards the end of August / beginning of September 2016, the hook greeblie was discussed / identified (as far as possible) on various forums including: ‘The Parts of Star Wars’ site ‘The Shed of Glittering Delights’ Facebook group, and on ‘FISD / whitearmor.net’. The hook greeblie is believed to be a quick release connector associated with RAF and RN 1940s onwards K-Type pilot dinghy pack. Three similar quick release units were used on each dinghy pack, to attach the pack storing the uninflated emergency single person life raft (dinghy) to the pilot / observer harness rig, or to ejection seats 1950s onwards. 

Pack01_zpsjmfclje8.jpg

Pack02_zpssj8vbvah.jpg

The K-Type dinghy was used in fighter aircraft or by observers in those RAF aircraft where the large multiple crew round dinghy was not practical. 

Raft01_zpsvtohz8bv.jpg

During the Second World War the K-Type dinghy pack was intended to be used by fighter pilots and observers wearing the seat type parachute, replacing the normal parachute seat cushion. They were thus referred to as the ‘seat pack’ as the pilot actually sat on the dinghy pack whilst in the aircraft. 

Harness_zps1sxn6taq.jpg

The team believes that one of the quick release clips attached to the 1941 pattern life jacket, and a similar quick release (not associated with K-Type pack) was also associated with the parachute activation handle seen on the waist belt (near 12 in image above).

The Type A pack contained the dinghy and equipment with a readily detachable top panel connected to the dinghy by a painter, and to the pilot by a webbing strap. That webbing strap was attached via a quick release unit. Various types of K-Type dinghy pack are known with Type A, MK.II. used up to around 1942-44, and MK. III.s used 1944 onwards. The MK.III.s and Type Bs had additional features such as extra pockets for extra CO2 inflators and different arrangements of storage pockets etc.

The quick release unit used for the K-Type dinghy pack consists of two components:

·        A male component consisting of the quick release mechanism at one end and a T-bar for attaching to straps on the K-type dinghy pack; and

·        A female T-bar component.

T-bar_zps3fzmt8tv.jpg

The quick release unit used for the CE hook greeblie also consists of two components:

·        A male component consisting of the quick release mechanism and a T-bar for attaching to straps on the K type dinghy pack; and

·        A female spring-loaded hook component.  

Hook01_zpsjne2onrr.jpg

da4b37b5-a4c2-40d8-a824-405f1ade580f_zps

It is important to note that the team has NOT been able to locate ANY reference pictures showing the female hook component attached to K-Type dinghy packs or RAF / RN pilot / observer harnesses. However, the use of the ‘seat packs’ continued with RAF early jet aircraft (1950s), although the dinghy pack evolved into the Aircrew Personal Survival Pack (PSP) container over time which housed everything for pilot survival, including the dinghy in a Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) box, but still under-slung on the harness.

It is possible that the female hook component came into use once the PSP and GRP box became the standard, allowing a more efficient quick release system attaching to clips on the GRP box?  

The team is currently approaching the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, to see if they are able to further identify the female hook component of the CE hook greeblie.

Component Details

As stated, the quick release unit used for the greeblie consists of two components: male quick release unit + female hook component.

Male Quick Release Component

The male component of the quick release unit appears ubiquitous across many 1940s+ RAF and RN flight gear. It is known to have been used on the K-Type dinghy pack, along with 1941 pattern seat parachutes. The male component has no readily identifiable maker’s mark, but most samples do have either a Patent Number on them: Pat No. 478506, or the following ID No. 27C/2157. This is located around the top collar of the corrugated quick release pull mechanism near the T-bar end.

The team has so far been unable to further identify the male component, although it does appear a ubiquitous 1940s-1960s RAF / RN quick release mechanism.

Female Hook Component

The female hook component does have a maker’s mark and part number: AML 115. Research by lonepigeon and mr paul indicates that AML refers to the maker: Aircraft Materials Limited. AML is now part of Airborne Systems, which still makes very similar equipment, although no longer produces the actual female hook component used for the greeblie (as far as we can ascertain, and certainly not in the 1940s-50s form).

Hook05_zpsinbcmrof.jpg

Hook03_zps51a5vstz.jpg

Hook04_zpsuv5ax8bn.jpg

Review of the team’s collective sample of quick release units has revealed both subtle, and more distinctive, variations between various female hooks.

Most notably, some male quick release and female hook components appear to be cast in a silver finish metal whilst others are cast in a metal with a ‘gold’ finish.

ba3f0b84-da5e-4996-9c2b-6975724643d3_zps

The female hook is cast metal with the maker’s mark consisting of a cast alphanumeric on one side of the hook stem – AML115. In general the ‘5’ is exceedingly indistinct, although some samples do show this character, most often the silver metal versions which appear to retain a sharper moulding than the ‘gold’ hooks.

Hook06_zps5yhxwvug.png

Hook07_zpskjxhcnoz.jpg

Hook08_zps2ncamvwc.jpg

On the reverse side of the stem a V can discerned.

Hook09_zpsvukhjfik.png

Hook10_zps0xcf3lgo.jpg

Hook11_zpswmmip3p9.jpg

However, some hooks also have the maker’s mark and part number stamped onto the outside neck of the hook. The stamp is AML115, so it appears that these hooks just have a more clear presentation of the information we already know concerning the maker – AML – and the part number – 115.

Hook12_zpszt3aryob.png

Following the mark AML115 on the neck there is also a stamp mark. This is a circle containing a stylised AML over the numeric 51. The team has not been able to identify the significance of the numeric 51, however this could be a year stamp e.g. 1951, with those hooks not displaying this feature being manufactured prior to 1951? However, this is conjecture, we do not presently know, and this is one of the questions being asked at the Imperial War Museum.

Hook13_zpsoqqcacxh.png

From the photographic material available of the CE prop greeblie it is impossible to determine if the maker’s stamp and part number are present on the neck of the one used on the CE pack.

There is another, slightly different female hook available. This has the same version of toothed hook jaw and spring mechanism as the previous types described. However the main hook stem and body has some noticeable variations. These are:

1.      Appears cast in a different metal type, it is less ‘granular’ with an almost machined finish;

2.      The ‘step ’between the stem (which attaches to the male quick release component) and the ‘hook’ is much less rounded, more angular then on the other hooks;

3.      AML 115 is very clearly and cleanly stamped onto the face of the hook;

4.      There is a maker’s mark stamped above the AML 115 mark; and

5.      There are two parallel lines running around the stem of the hook.

Hook16_zpsjxd2jwx2.jpg

Hook15_zpsfkracl2h.jpg

Hook14_zpsgdqqza9m.jpg

Whilst prominent, it is difficult to discern what the circular stamp mark actually contains, although the numeric 1 is clearly visible at centre bottom. The first and last letter may be L. The team is unsure about the second and third characters. This will require some more analysis.

Hook17_zpsuwnvyscq.png

Conclusions

Further analysis is required to see if there are any maker’s stamp details or part number mark on the outside neck of the CE prop greeblie. Analyses of trailer and sizzle reef footage have not been able to provide any answers, and the film footage is also unlikely to provide the required resolution of detail. Only close-up, detailed photographs of actual screen used prop packs are likely to provide any further information.

Regardless, the CE prop has been identified as best as possible, and the male quick release and AML115 female hook are the found parts used on the CE prop, and presumably the other Jedha large back pack props used in the film.

The team has exerted much time, effort, and funds to try and track down a supply of the CE hook greeblie. The fact that the found part originates in the UK, as with many Star Wars found parts from the OT, means that we have been exhaustive in our efforts. This has led to contact with a supplier with known previous contact with, and supply to, films such as: Prometheus, Spectre, and The Martian.

Mr paul and ht7 were recently able to visit the supplier in person, and on the back of the visit the team were able to purchase the supply of the AML115 hook and male quick release units that the supplier held. The team's vision is to secure the only known supply, and limited numbers of, the found part and enable sales to prop builders, film aficionados etc.

ireachy

Edited by ireachy

Wow! that is some very thorough research. Very interesting stuff! I spent some time searching for the origin of this greeblie myself with no success. I think it's pretty cool that the prop makers were able to use WWII items just like in the OT. Now that it's 2016 these things look even more like they're from a galaxy far far away, and definitely from a long time ago! To most people now a days this is a completely unrecognizable part, which is obviously what the prop makers were going for.

I bought one of these hook greeblies from Paul and I now have it in hand.

My two cents on the Female Hook Component; Judging by the small inner hook clearance when opening and closing the spring loaded lever I think it's possible that it was meant to hook onto a small steel cable of some kind maybe? or a small steel bar. Whatever point it was meant to hook onto can't be very big.

• Like 2

Wow! that is some very thorough research. Very interesting stuff! I spent some time searching for the origin of this greeblie myself with no success. I think it's pretty cool that the prop makers were able to use WWII items just like in the OT. Now that it's 2016 these things look even more like they're from a galaxy far far away, and definitely from a long time ago! To most people now a days this is a completely unrecognizable part, which is obviously what the prop makers were going for.

My two cents on the Female Hook Component; Judging by the small inner hook clearance when opening and closing the spring loaded lever I think it's possible that it was meant to hook onto a small steel cable of some kind maybe? or a small steel bar. Whatever point it was meant to hook onto can't be very big.

Thank you for appreciating the write up by ireachy. I know that the hook part clips onto a metal d ring as I have one here that was used with the clip. However, what the D ring was attached to is another mystery. Research is ongoing. You are right about it being unrecognisable. I think that is why the prop makers were able to place it right up front on the TK's shoulder strap exactly for that reason. It looks functional but also the viewer would not know what on earth it was.

Fantastic research and thank you guys for sharing this knowledge. I feel like a freshman sitting in on my first class of Rogue One Trooping 101. I tried as well to find out more but never found much. Keep the info rolling on this pack. Lots still to uncover and learn. If you get any more leads on the upper rolled blanket on the pack and what type of straps please inform us. Thanks again for all your time and research!

• Like 2

This thread keeps getting more and more fascinating!! :popcorn: 

I love how this pack looks more militaristic than ones from the other films, more practical.  I love following backpack build threads and at some point I swear I'm going to make my own lol.  

• Like 2

Hi,

As mr paul replied, we know that the female hook was used to attach to D-rings - based on a sample still attached to a D-ring. It may be plausible that as the RAF and RN moved over to the PSP kit stored in a GRP box, and away from the canvas Type A MK.II and MK.II and Type B packs, that the D-ring was riveted to the box. The female hook would then clip onto the GRP PSP box. This is something that we are chasing with the Imperial War Museum here in the UK.

We'll let you know if get an answer.

Best,

ireachy

• Like 1

Great research guys!   Question  whats the word on the Alice enhanced Straps... specifically the orange coloration?   Have you figured it out?  sourcing and ordering stuff now.....  antenna.... is it a fishing rod?  Inquiring minds wanna know! LOL   Again great work!!

swpropmaker,

Thanks, glad that you like the thread. We'll be touching on all the points you have raised. I am imminently about to post up about the antenna. Just finalising the drafting now. We are confident that we have discovered the found part for the antenna, so I suggest you resist the urge to buy random fishing rods etc. for next couple of days atleast.

We were going to move onto the shoulder straps after the antenna, but have decided to publish our observations about the Alice pack itself next. SlyFox740 has just posted some details about the Alice pack webbing on the R1 back pack found parts threads. We've made the same observations and would like to piggy-back and look at the Alice pack webbing and threading details, as we've spent hours working out the details on these pieces.

Keep a look out as the antenna found part reveal will be up shortly, and will also appear on the Parts of Star Wars site and also The RPF.

Best,

ireachy 

Edited by ireachy
  • Like 2

Antenna

Whilst there has been much time and effort, and discussion, focused on the identification and sourcing of the K-Type dinghy quick release hook greeblie found part, the back pack antenna is currently the part that is proving the most enigmatic.

20160716_143305_zps7swuopoo.jpg

The team has jumped to this part of the CE pack as we are conscious that folks are making their antennae and we feel that we are now in a position to reveal what we believe is the found part. This will hopefully assist pack builders in sourcing the correct antenna part and avoid unnecessary purchases and time spent making close enough parts more accurate.

This section will be in two parts: Part 1 is intended to highlight our investigations to identify the found part for the antenna used on Rogue One Jedha large back pack. Part 2 will detail the building of the antenna, including the tubing and the end cap.

As with other sections of this thread, the team’s observations are based upon details associated with the Rogue One Stormtrooper (R1 TK) back pack as seen on display at Celebration Europe 2016 (CE) in London.

Antenna – Part 1: Found Part Identification and Reveal

We will present an examination of the antenna prop whilst comparing it with what the team now believes is the found part. We will focus on diagnostic features seen from the CE reference material.

27943540603_dddcb8d9ca_o_zpsajjpjbnv.jpg

Originally there was a hypothesis that the antenna is an altered / modded military radio antenna, as used on jeeps, Land Rovers etc., ‘Telefunken model Ms 116/117/118’. Discussions also looked at the possibility that the antenna is a fishing rod. The ‘eyes’ / guides that the tubing on the antenna is threaded through were rapidly agreed to be fishing rod line guides (hereafter referred to as ‘eyes’).

antenna07_zpsqwah1l00.jpg

The team has discounted the use of a military radio antenna as the prop. This is based on the diagnostic features listed below, and also relates to the relative rarity of these parts and their prices; most examples fetching prices in excess of £50 and up to £100+. This did not seem to be the type of part that is used by Star Wars prop builders, for what will effectively be background props. As we know from experience such items in the OT were built from cheap items such as seed trays, plumbing parts, Tupperware and wet wipe tubs e.g. the sandtrooper packs I in Episode IV. The prices did not stack-up for us.

Detailed review of the available reference pics has convinced the team that a fishing rod was used for the prop – a common and generally cheap part to source for prop building. The reference material shows several distinct diagnostic features that we have used to identify what we believe is the found part. These diagnostic features are:

1.      Texture of the antenna;

2.      Details of the cut end;

3.      Antenna outer diameter;

4.      Details of the eyes and their spacing – this also relates to antenna length; and

5.      Eye whipping / ‘wraps’ and the red ‘flash’.

Texture

The CE prop antenna has a distinctive texture that appears to be a type of black carbon fibre wrap. The carbon fibre has a rippled texture running around the antenna and is evident on a lot of modern fishing rods. This observation is based on referencing online pictures and also personal observations made by team members looking at rods in angling and outdoor recreation shops. The pictures below show the CE prop and then the found part.

antenna03_zpszn1jwtzc.jpg

Carbon02_zps854hkvne.jpg

20161025_114132_zps7xaont2m.jpg

Open (Lower) End of the Antenna

There are several reference shots of the CE prop that show the bottom end of the antenna. From the reference material the antenna appears to be hollow with a grey colour associated with the end.

end_zpsptkk2hlb.jpg

When the found part fishing rod is cut it gives the same appearance as the CE prop.

DSC_0700_zpsou9jdccr.jpg

Antenna Outer Diameter

We have taken guestimate measurements from the CE antenna. These have been determined using the known width of the webbing used on the canvas roll as reference. The webbing is standard 25 mm / 1”. A marker line was drawn on a reference pic and then transferred to the cut end of the antenna. The outer diameter (OD) of the cut end is approximately one-third the width of the webbing i.e. 7-9 mm as judged using the reference pic. This was the OD range we were initially looking for. It should be noted that the reference materials make it hard to be specific as the lighting at the CE display is problematical and no clear flash photography could be found of this part.

Dimensions01_zps6cfwfa4v.jpg

Measurement of the found part shows that the OD at the cut end is 9 mm, so within the range we were hoping for from the picture calculations.

20161025_114227_zpswzpq1geu.jpg

Mr paul also compared the found part with life-size zoomed reference pics to determine if we had a match. Again, the width of the webbing was used to establish a baseline scale so that the image was not biased by the width of the found part.

Screen%20comp01_zps5zwrkbsx.jpg

The measurements of the found part matches-up with the CE prop.

Details of the Eyes, Spacing and Antenna Length

The eyes on the found part and the CE prop are distinctive. They are new style eyes used for guiding the fishing line from the spool along the length of the rod. On the CE prop they are used to retain the tubing that runs along, and wraps around, the length of the antenna.

antenna07_zpsqwukjr9c.jpg

antenna04_zpsyfzfft5d.jpg

antenna05_zpsqfhqlb0p.jpg

antenna02a_zps3sk2fp3b.jpg

20161025_114132_zps7xaont2m.jpg

20161025_114303_zpsfphtyafk.jpg

20161025_114924_zpsx8sqvdpo.jpg

It should be noted that the eyes on the CE prop have been manipulated to accommodate the tubing and this will be covered in Part 2 when we discuss building the antenna.

The distance between the eyes / whippings was also measured from reference pics using the known webbing width of 25 mm / 1”. From the top of the first eye’s whipping to the bottom of the second eye’s webbing is approximately 10.5 times the width of the canvas roll webbing. This gives a distance of approximately 262.5 mm (10.5 * 25 mm = 262.5 mm).

Antenna%20measurement%201-2%20eye_zpsdxu

The same distance measured on the found part equals 257 mm. So the rough calculated distance is reasonably close to the measured distance on the found rod. Certainly close enough and within the likely margins of error associated with the rough visualisation.

Distance%20eye%201%202_zpstlxqnsif.jpg

Eye Whippings and the Red ‘Flash’

Reference material from CE clearly show areas where the eyes are attached to the antenna. On fishing rods these are known as whippings and traditionally involved wrappings of line securing the base of the eye. On the CE prop these whippings appear as raised areas securing the eyes to the antenna. What is most notable is that in places at the base of each whipping there is a distinctive red flash / wrap that ‘pops’ in many of the photographs of the CE prop.

Antenna%20red%20flash02_zpsaqgu3aln.jpg

Antenna%20red%20flash_zps1s1gxbzz.jpg

The found part rod also has this most distinctive diagnostic feature.

Red%20flash01_zps1qrzxjom.jpg

Red%20flash02_zps4zpt33jq.jpg

Using the deduction, observations and investigations presented above, and having the fishing rod in the hand, we are confident that mr paul, with assistance from the team, has correctly identified the CE pack antenna found part as the:

Avanti Precision 12ft 3 piece float rod.

20161025_144540_zpssvtihtl6.jpg

The rod is currently available from Sports Direct in the UK and in the United States:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/avanti-precision-x-12ft-float-rod-942037?colcode=94203703

http://us.sportsdirect.com/avanti-precision-x-12ft-float-rod-942037?colcode=94203703

And is running at a 50% discount indicating that this may be limited stock. These rods are only available online – they are not stocked in any Sports Direct store – the team has asked.

Part 2 detailing the antenna build including sourcing the tubing and antenna end cap will be presented shortly.

ireachy

Edited by ireachy
  • Like 2

What about the top cap on the rod? Any ideas where that might be from? <br>

To have the rod shipped to Japan is not cost effective at all. Hoping I can find a similar item at local shops. Thanks for posting the info.

Just to be sure before I go on an ordering blitz, does this sound correct for parts needed? <br><br>

6 x 1 inch cam buckles for the sleeping bag<br>

5 x 25mm antique brass gliders or more?<br>

Cotton Dark olive drab strapping for sleeping bag<br>

More nylon strapping for securing the patsy to the frame? <br><br>

Fishing rod- got that.<br>

Tubing for the antennae? Not yet determined? <br>

Antennae top cap?