E-11? Good luck!

So, I'm still in the process of putting together my ANOVOS set, and I'll be posting some images in the coming days of THOSE issues. (Leg day is the worst day). During all this, I am looking for an E-11 blaster, and I've found that to be...confusing. Not just in where to go, but what's good, what's approved, and what's decent for 'the moment'. 

Now, I want to save up and get a real, sturdy, awesome replica some day- but till then, at least, for halloween (the very short term), I was thinking of grabbing a cheap rubies blaster and spraying it black. It's affordable, if it breaks- who cares? and it can just be a thing for the holster until I can get a kit or better. 

What I want to know is- your thoughts? Is this a bad idea? Am I missing something? I'm still new to this, so I want to make choices that aren't a waste of money, but also I need something for the coming months to fill the gap. 

There are several options available, Chris, and it comes down to a personal preference.  My E-11 is a Doopydoos   http://www.doopydoos.com/stormtrooper-e-11-complete-anh-e-11-blaster-kit-offer-2685-p.asp full resin kit with T-Jay's upgrade kit, (awesome)  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28444-fs-completion-sets-for-e-11-resin-kits-with-worldwide-insured-shipping-and-paypal/  Resin blasters are pretty sturdy, and fine for trooping.  The advantage is that you get a LOT of detail for a more realistic effect, (especially with the upgrade kit).  The downside(s) are that you don't want to drop it, so I don't recommend allowing folks to borrow it for photos, also, Doopydoos takes up to 2 months to ship.  They are often "out of stock", so if you want to order one, do it immediately when they are available, as they can go out of stock on a moment's notice.

Another alternative is Hyperfirm.  These are incredibly sturdy, lightweight, and can be dropped down a flight of stairs with no damage.  Perfect for trooping, and you can let people hold it without fear of dropping it.  You do lose a bit of detail, but they are perfectly acceptable all the way to Centurion level.  Slavefive offers them on here from time to time, or you can PM him for more info. , 

Either way the E-11 is not required for basic approval, but of course every Trooper needs a weapon, so the spray painted Rubies would work just fine in the interim until (hopefully) you go for EIB and Centurion.

• Like 3

So, as I write this, the doopydoo is in stock. Something I hear is very rare. How ever, I think I will wait on that one, as it's 82 dollars to have it shipped. When it's time for me to go pro, that'll be a thing. I'm still pretty bad at all this, as my armor will show. I'm a noob, and I have velcro in my armor. The sign of a true beginner.

Some of our recently approved Anovos troopers (since doopydoos is almost always out of stock and Hyperfirm don't ship to Puerto Rico) ordered this blaster. Already assembled it looks and feels great.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/192791479/star-wars-stormtrooper-e-11-blaster-prop?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=e-11&ref=sr_gallery_1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you're wanting something to go through EIB and Centurion, then the full Doopys kit or a Hyperfirm would be your best bet.  

But if you're wanting to have something with pew-ing, fun for now and cheap, the Disney or Hasbro blaster would be your most affordable option (even though it's not approvable).  Sometimes you can find them for less than $30 over at the auction site that Shall Not Be Named.

Doopys also has a skin kit for the Hasbro blaster that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Cost-wise, the price of the skin kit plus Hasbro blaster is just a little less than the full resin kit (which is approvable).  

I picked up a Hyperfirm elite e-11 for my eventual Centurion application.  I also bought a used Hasbro and am in the process of converting it with the skin kit and electronics upgrade.  The Hyperfirm is really nice, but the Hasbro is way more fun.   :Laser: 

Good luck with your build!

Doopys get heavy fast, holding one for a few hours straight kinda sucks. Hyperfirm look cool and are super light and will rarely break when dropped. Doopys will loose a few parts when dropped. Kids love love to hold the blasters for photos. If they make pew pew noises like the Hasbro, you'll be a rock star. The Rubys painted black is kinda boring. I only holster that one while I'm also sporting the DLT-19. I have all of these and that is my experience.

I won't give any comments about details or accuracy and leave that to the pros. Troop on.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I'll likely grab a hasbro, because I need a whole new set of armor if I'm ever applying for centurion or above. I've already broken rules for it with my set due to lack of experience and skill. The gloves didn't butt up well, and one had to have one side edged under the other, and the strip covering it. So I know my set is kind of a waste now, due to things like that happening. 

That's partly why I'll be getting a cheaper blaster now. I need to buy a new set when I have money. (Which I don't. Behold, one of the poorest troopers ever.)

Once you get basic 501st approval, you might want to think about posting up some photos of your build on a separate thread, Chris.  You may be closer to level 2 (EIB) than you think!  We would be happy to help you out with suggestions/tips, and the added expense is minimal..  The Anovos kit comes with the rivets, and the only thing you would need to think about changing (which I highly recommend) is the belt.  The Anovos one is really flimsy.  PM me if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you're wanting something to go through EIB and Centurion, then the full Doopys kit or a Hyperfirm would be your best bet.  

But if you're wanting to have something with pew-ing, fun for now and cheap, the Disney or Hasbro blaster would be your most affordable option (even though it's not approvable).  Sometimes you can find them for less than $30 over at the auction site that Shall Not Be Named.

Doopys also has a skin kit for the Hasbro blaster that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Cost-wise, the price of the skin kit plus Hasbro blaster is just a little less than the full resin kit (which is approvable).  

I picked up a Hyperfirm elite e-11 for my eventual Centurion application.  I also bought a used Hasbro and am in the process of converting it with the skin kit and electronics upgrade.  The Hyperfirm is really nice, but the Hasbro is way more fun.   :Laser: 

Good luck with your build!

Just to clarify, Disney and Hasbro blasters (and probably some others like Rubies, etc.) are approvable at basic level (basic level blasters are optional) so long as you at least paint it to look more accurate. All it costs you is the price of the toy blaster and some paint and sandpaper.

E-11 Blaster

For 501st approval:

• Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster

You don't have to worry about accurate t-tracks, counters, power cylinders, etc. until level 2. That is where a conversion kit like DoopyDoo's would come into play. At level 3, a toy blaster would not be approved at all. So long as the toy is based off a Stormtrooper blaster, it should be good to go once painted. Something like this would be good for the trooper on a budget, or if you just want something to go pew pew for the kids. But as was stated if you want to go to level 3, then you may want to look into something more accurate, such as a scratch resin build or premade Hyperfirm.

(All text highlighted in bold red done by me for emphasis).

Edited by RynoHawk

You can PM him here, Ron, to see if he has anything available right now:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/user/1330-slavefive/