Inner helmet paint

I see a lot of people paint the inside of the helmet black. Is this something you must do or is it optional?

If it is optional, what are the pros and cons of doing it? I've seen that it can be harder to get things to stick to the inner helmet if you paint it, so what would be the benefit?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and I'm sure it has. I don't know if it's just they way the search function on the tapatalk app and the mobile site work, but it's very hard to find specific answers. Or maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.

Edit: I have found a thread that discusses the pros and cons, but not whether it is optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by TJisThatGuy

You don't have to paint it black, but it helps keep your face hidden in the helmet.  I sprayed mine with truck bed liner to make it more durable and haven't had any trouble getting my pads and fans to stick to it with industrial strength adhesive velcro.  

You don't have to paint it black, but it helps keep your face hidden in the helmet. I sprayed mine with truck bed liner to make it more durable and haven't had any trouble getting my pads and fans to stick to it with industrial strength adhesive velcro.

Thanks. I'll probably end up doing it because it looks cool. But it's nice to know I have the option.

Exactly.

as mentioned, it is not mandatory, but it definitely helps hide your eyes and mouth through the bucket.

As far as con, the only negative is that is makes it hotter inside the bucket, but thats negligible.

I personally used a standard black spray, but a lot of people use Plastidip which covers nicely in black while still giving good texture for adhesion.

At the end of the day, its preference and you do what makes you happy.

That goes for everything inside the armor as well

• Like 1

In my Garrison the normal is not painted, infact very very few are as far as I've seen.  

Mine's not and I can't see me ever doing it. FWIW I've never been able to tell if someones bucket is painted or not just by looking at the eyes.

I'll probably put it off for now as I just got the BBB on Monday. And I'm so excited about building it that I'll leave out the unnecessary bits for now.

Though, I suppose it's easier to paint it before assembly. I am stuck between a Sarlacc and a hard place.

• Like 1

Exactly.

as mentioned, it is not mandatory, but it definitely helps hide your eyes and mouth through the bucket.

As far as con, the only negative is that is makes it hotter inside the bucket, but thats negligible.

I personally used a standard black spray, but a lot of people use Plastidip which covers nicely in black while still giving good texture for adhesion.

At the end of the day, its preference and you do what makes you happy.

That goes for everything inside the armor as well

I disagree that it makes anything hotter inside the helmet. It doesn't change airflow at all, and the outside is just as white and reflective as it was before painting. If anything, it makes things COOLER inside the helmet, because light radiating through thin plastic bring heat, and the black paint stops light from coming through.

That's why I like it. (other than looks) Keeps things nice and dark inside the helmet, as it should be.

I think PlastiDip is the most common option for painting. Doesn't flake off like paint can, and it's flexible. No issue gluing interior components directly to the finish (including velcro adhesive). Just have to be careful removing anything stuck in there hard so you don't peel up the finish! (it can be repainted if you do, of course, but that's a pain)

• Like 2

Definitely not required

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule of answering every single stormtroopers questions 24/7 to reply to mine. I think it goes without saying that I'll be using your AM build thread as my main inspiration as I bought an AM kit. I still need a few supplies, but plan on starting next week. May your first child be a masculine child.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am going with the Plastidip/cheesecloth method for my helmet. From what I have heard and seen, it adds a good deal of strength to the ABS by using the cheesecloth. It kinda makes it like fiberglass, but without the thickness, weight or heat.

Just be sure to work outside, or in a well ventilated area when doing the plastidip application.