Alay's ANH Stunt build (AP, first build)

Alay

On the topic of electronics... 

I decided to give the iComm/Aker/Throatmic a run with the new helmet to test the sound.

Installed the iComm on the inside of the breastpiece.  Fits nicely and out of the way with velcro.

CLZmMEn.jpg

I put the snazzy throat mic under my headwrap and above the center of my throat.  Seems to work best there

xYv3wmw.jpg?1

It fits nicely and unnoticeable under the neck seal.

KXnMgxN.jpg

Push to talk ran down to my glove and I'm good to go!  The throat mic muffles my voice a little and drops it a fair bit giving me a more radio-esque sound.  The iComm adds that nice static burst.  Final result is a mostly sound like a male stormtrooper might sound!

It also doubles as a fantastic way to terrify the cats...  As I learned from them clawing over my feet in fear.

Is that throat mic comfortable? Also, do you have a link for it. The other day, 3 of us troopers used the same wireless system and had crossover with it. It was no bueno...  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

Is that throat mic comfortable? Also, do you have a link for it. The other day, 3 of us troopers used the same wireless system and had crossover with it. It was no bueno...  :smiley-sw013:

It's not uncomfortable in my opinion... but I don't really mind a slight tightness around my neck area/wear turtlenecks all winter, so I might be more tolerant of it than others.  

I'll post a video of it with/without the iComm tomorrow if you'd like so you can get an idea of the sound quality.  The one I received is different than the photo link, as mine is adjustable... I'm fairly certain it's just a newer model of the same one pictured.  It is also wired, so while there's no chance of crossover, you might have feedback issues if you run an aker too loud/high up.  I just like it because it sits nicely and won't move under the neckseal.

Here's a link to purchase it:  http://www.ixradio.com/shop/transdermal-throat-microphone-xvtm26m35.html

Be warned, it took a very long time for it to ship out and the company didn't really communicate much.  But the product is pretty quality in my opinion.

Looks good, I would hold off on cutting the back of the shins until you get basic approval then talk to the GML to see what he/she recommends. They can give you a better idea of how much to remove. Not sure how much Mark agrees but I have give my shins, forearms, shoulder bells and butt plate all hot water baths to get them to fit me better. That's an option as well. Lot's of posts about it and even some tutorials I saw somewhere on here.

Will do.  I'll probably remove the return edges though either way just for that extra movement.

I'm terrified of heating it too much, so I think we'll be starting with lukewarm water and moving it up degree by degree haha.
Edited by Alay
  • Like 1

Drop boxes are done (pending adding to the belt until torso is fitted correctly.)

I measured the halfway point on the boxes, then a dot around an inch down from the top.  Drilled 3/16ths.

Ts4FYjm.jpg

Using an iron I burned a hole into some white elastic to line up.

1OWnDfW.jpg

1/8" length 3/16th pop rivet and #8 washer through the bit

ZBGeX40.jpg

Squeeze, pop, and we're all set!

VYlMgon.jpg

Also as a note, be careful with pop rivet guns... the spring inside mine got loose I guess, and flung a piece of metal around the room.  Not a precaution I had considered.

I dread to think if it hit me in the face what the outcome would have been.  Just be careful and expect the unexpected guys.

• Like 1

Looking good! I think you may have already, it's hard to tell on my phone but in case you haven't don't forget to take a lighter to the ends of all your strapping to prevent fraying and it will also help clean it up. Move along, move along.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking good! I think you may have already, it's hard to tell on my phone but in case you haven't don't forget to take a lighter to the ends of all your strapping to prevent fraying and it will also help clean it up. Move along, move along.

Ran the iron over them to make them nice and melty =)  Definitely worth the 5 seconds it takes!  I do that with the holes too to prevent them from ripping from being pulled on.

There's something to be said about leggings.  I'm usually not much for anything other than jeans, but they're about the same thickness as my compression suit and form fitting, so they're awesome for trying to piece without having to put on everything else.

Not sure they'll catch on with the male crowd, but give them a try.

So velcro in back on the shins are completed, and the fronts are double covered (inside and out).  They still need a bit of cleanup and the installation of of the sniper knee, but that can wait for now...

I figured now is the time to try them on.  

Front/back/left/right

kUwpnDp.jpg?1

JZ3TtVE.jpg?1

AI8p13l.jpg?1

agJ7rJh.jpg?1

They felt a little wobbly, and I think I'm wearing them a tad too low.  I'll be putting velcro in the bottom front and on the front of my boot to keep them secured there.  They seem okay size wise though, if perhaps a little big in the back.  I may reduce the back enclosure size a little.

I added some padding in the front to test how they fit there, and it gave a much more snug feeling as well as helped prevent a locked look...

oF8UYBU.jpg

fKXmhMY.jpg

0zx5SsI.jpg

8Ews1JE.jpg

OARFa3m.jpg

Any input on how I can improve?

• Like 1

Alright I need some opinions on the thighs.

Glued together both sides where I thought they were supposed to go (been roughly using ukswrath's anovos thread as a build guide... amazing resource if you're a noob like me!)

yLHSnxg.jpg

I attached the belt to the thigh about 1/4" from each side of the backmost seam; a few other Centurion AP builds have it about there, so I figured I'd follow suite.  I've also been using this source as a reference pic (from ukswrath AM kit build thread)

gallery_12157_59_55140%201.jpg

G9PpHh4.jpg  hole placement

Drilled and installed split rivet

CAftq0I.jpg

It's on there tight and doesn't really come "up" at all... best it can do is inline or so.  The seam is visible as such between the two thihg halfs after the end of where the cover strip is supposed to go... see below

OGSd6yj.jpg?1

What should I do here?  Few thoughts:

• Squeeze the two together and reglue the coverstrip and hope they stay closer.
  • Pull it apart and sand more so they're in line then reglue front strip.
  • Make front strip longer to cover the seam.
  • Install a strip behind it so it all looks white and isn't as noticeable.

Suggestions?

Edited by Alay

Glued together both sides where I thought they were supposed to go (been roughly using ukswrath's anovos thread as a build guide... amazing resource if you're a noob like me!)

yLHSnxg.jpg

I attached the belt to the thigh about 1/4" from each side of the backmost seam; a few other Centurion AP builds have it about there, so I figured I'd follow suite. I've also been using this source as a reference pic (from ukswrath AM kit build thread)

G9PpHh4.jpg hole placement

CAftq0I.jpg

It's on there tight and doesn't really come "up" at all... best it can do is inline or so. The seam is visible as such between the two thihg halfs after the end of where the cover strip is supposed to go... see below

OGSd6yj.jpg?1

What should I do here? Few thoughts:

Suggestions?

I'd remove the belt if possible as I'm pretty certain that the middle box should be inline with the cover strip. Doing this may expose one of the drilled holes, but I wouldnt worry about that as a little abs paste can sort that out, I drilled a hole through my lid, had to use abs paste for the first time to fill the hole. A little filing with a nail polishing block and you cant tell it was there.

e45944bf4970c4cd1c2b2cec71cec160.jpg

Doing this would allow you to either sand more off the centre seams, or bring the belt up and cover strip down to mask the gap. Others may have their advice, but thats what I'd do. 

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'd remove the belt if possible as I'm pretty certain that the middle box should be inline with the cover strip. Doing this may expose one of the drilled holes, but I wouldnt worry about that as a little abs paste can sort that out, I drilled a hole through my lid, had to use abs paste for the first time to fill the hole. A little filing with a nail polishing block and you cant tell it was there.

Doing this would allow you to either sand more off the centre seams, or bring the belt up and cover strip down to mask the gap. Others may have their advice, but thats what I'd do. 

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I'm going to see how it looks with an internal cover and if it's still ugly tomorrow I'll be pulling it apart and sanding it probably.

• Like 2

Butt snaps are done... Pain in the butt to put in (pun totally intended)

Cod rivet as well.

The butt snaps are places about 1" and 1 1/2" in, give or take.  The strapping is double snapped as well.

Pvtnjkx.jpg

CugOk3v.jpg

I used a 1/8" drill bit for the cod rivet, and a 5/32" drill bit for the snap posts, for those of you following along at home :)

• Like 1

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for... resizing the abs!

Well, in the chaos of trying it on, cutting a little bit, taping, measuring, drawing lines, etc my husband and I failed to snap many relevant pictures.

That said, this is about the amount that had to come off

xba7DHJ.jpg

It fits nicely now around the waist, with a bit of extra room in the back/kidney in case of rapid human-based acceleration. More pics to come of it fitted soon....

That said, anyone trying to reduce their AP kit; the height is pretty flexible either way.  I was thinking I'd have to shorten it originally but it fits pretty nice after the cod strap is in place!  If you're 150lb or so (or male figured I suppose) you'll probably have no problems getting a great fit out of the box.

• Like 1

Probably the last update of the night (Hope I'm not breaking any rules I didn't see by multi-posting... wanted to make it easier to link to each section in the OP for future reference by people)

Left side rivets are installed.  I began by cutting some nylon into 3" strips.  Using my heat iron I burned holes 10mm from the edges and 20mm from one another.

gmg8roF.jpg

Remember to rub the iron along the edges to make sure it doesn't unravel down the line!

Starting with the ab plate;  20mm from the top, 10mm from the bottom, then half way mark between each for the third (60mm each way).  10mm from the edge.

nT7BQcS.jpg

Mark similarly from the kidney side.  Matching up the top return edges.

Again drilling 1/8" holes for the rivets.

The split rivets go through.  Remember to add the washer.  I then take a screwdriver head and pry the eye open a bit.

Needlenose pliers to pull them out about 80 degrees.  Then a whack or two of the hammer to set them good.

kh5VYi3.jpg

eWHXEXs.jpg

Make sure the straps are nice and snug.  Rather tight than loose I'd bet.  If they don't slide together nicely you can always sand a little bit.

VxlllcT.jpg

Riveting experience ;)

• Like 1

yLHSnxg.jpg

I attached the belt to the thigh about 1/4" from each side of the backmost seam; a few other Centurion AP builds have it about there, so I figured I'd follow suite. I've also been using this source as a reference pic (from ukswrath AM kit build thread)

G9PpHh4.jpg hole placement

CAftq0I.jpg

It's on there tight and doesn't really come "up" at all... best it can do is inline or so. The seam is visible as such between the two thihg halfs after the end of where the cover strip is supposed to go... see below

OGSd6yj.jpg?1

What should I do here? Few thoughts:

Suggestions?

Mine looks almost identical. My cover strip comes down to just the top of that ridge. I also added some E6000 to hold the belt in place. I had the same gap and glued a scrap piece of ABS to the back.

Looks good!

• Like 1

Mine looks almost identical. My cover strip comes down to just the top of that ridge. I also added some E6000 to hold the belt in place. I had the same gap and glued a scrap piece of ABS to the back.

Looks good!

Thanks!  I put a piece of ABS behind it and it looks a lot better now.  

I'm soooo close to being finished finally!  Excitement is building!

You've been an enormous help throughout answering questions.  I cannot thank you and everyone else that chimed in enough :)

• Like 1

Centurion update for helmet...

Here's a comparison between what comes with the AP kit and the S-Trim.  I got this trim from GasPumpHeaven

V6Co41X.jpg

Pull off the old trim, then press the new trim into and around the helmet.  You'll want to cut about an ~inch "too long"  This way it will sit nice and snug.

OKA5nMq.jpg?1

Force it in as far as it will go around the edge of the helmet, then force the other side in and against the trim.  If you cut it too short or desire, you can add a bit of glue to make sure it definitely won't fall off.

xuRRPpl.jpg

• Like 4

Boiling baths for my kidney and butt... they're pretty lined up now.    Just waiting on another bunch of snaps from Amazon tomorrow and I should be good to submit for approval if everything fits together without too much of a hitch!

Oh yeah... my husband decided he's going to start a costume too :)

• Like 2

Centurion update for gloves...

First things first, wash the rubber bits and the gloves.  Use dish soap.  Then do it again!  They need to be completely oil free or the glue will *not* stick.

oGn9tM1.jpg

Next, you'll want Loctite Plastic Bonding Glue with the Activation Pen.  I tried about 5 different types of glue (E6000, Loctite normal super glue, plastic cement, rubber cement, etc... nothing else even came close to holding).

Also, for those unaware, loctite is a pun.  Loc, as in a shortening of "lock", and tite, as in "tight".  It locks it tight.  Lock-tight.  Loctite.  Very clever.

1FnvKDy.jpg

Next you'll want to get those gloves good and puffed out so everything sticks well.  I stuffed papertowel balls into the gloves.  

l2DcNaA.jpg

Next you'll want to rub both surfaces thoroughly with the activation pen.  It doesn't really show up, so follow a pattern so you get full coverage.  

nKpMBdp.jpg

Wait 60 seconds.

Next cover the rubber backing with the instant glue.  Try to leave a little space from the edge so it doesn't get residue when drying on the black glove.  Unless you want it to, then go for it.  The slightly tacky look is probably more authentic anyways.

0SGIm8Y.jpg

Place it carefully over the glove, you want to side bit towards the thumb.  If you have small hands like me you'll have to wrap it down a little too.

Press firmly for at least a minute.

f35KSHy.jpg

(not pictured) I then went over the edges and tidied up the dangling lips to make it sit firmly.

oOzspp4.jpg?1

g6ylUZw.jpg?1

I need that!

If you still need S-trim, I have plenty extra and would be happy to mail you a length :)  Let me know

• Like 1

UGHHHH nothing is working out today.... my homemade garter with velcro doesn't want to stay stuck to the nylon, abs/kidney overlapping... gonna be a long night to get this fitting me to my form.

/rant

My garter system was a fail (velcro backing refused to stick to nylon), my abs and kidneys were still *way* overlapping, and I couldn't get my belt to stick on properly to the snaps...  I was very grumpy earlier.

I decided to take the nuclear option, boiled a few pots of water, got out my knife, pulled the rivets apart on the kidney/abs left (carefully) and went to slashing and molding my kidney plate.

This is about how much material I ended up taking off the kidneys

nmrWVys.jpg?1

After that the kidneys and the abs both got a few heat baths to reshape to fit my tiny waist.

to5CmcT.jpg

4g2CM86.jpg

I added back in the notches needed for Centurion

j9xiWEH.jpg

and re-drilled and riveted the left side now that it was matching up better

IWmUegE.jpg

Look how good it fits now!!!

MsimlUD.jpg

e1bhrKm.jpg

rfoC1i4.jpg

HAPPY DANCE TIME!!!

Iht4QFy.jpg?1

The butt was still huge, so I matched it up with the notch where it was before reducing the kidneys, then cut vertically along the line.  I might reshape the 45 degree cut too depending on feedback

rFMqiJZ.jpg

norEpqo.jpg

Deep breath, dinner, and now I'm feeling good!  I got my belt holster attached and the snaps working... The thighs will have to wait, but here's where we're at now!

IkFnsPg.jpg

JYEoKnH.jpg

cG4mjul.jpg

rYkI4B1.jpg

GDMCdTm.jpg

l8vnTbI.jpg

i3vBu99.jpg

Tomorrow is the garter solution, figuring out how the heck the thighs fit (and if they need to be altered), and maybe, if I'm lucky, 501st submission pictures :)

• Like 3

Looking good Sarah.

Just make sure you dont have any sharp corners as not only can they hurt when the dig in to you, but they also can damage your black under suit.

• Like 2

If you have a sewing machine. Sew (is that correct?) The velcro strips to the nylon straps. Super easy, problem solved. Looking sharp trooper!

• Like 1