PPP's AP ANH Stunt BBB WTF LOL

pewpewpew

Well, it wasn't pretty but I got the thigh glued. There was glue everywhere and clean up is going to suck. I'm really glad there's cover strips covering this mess.

KxSVRoP.jpg

Doesn't have to look pretty as long as it works ;)

Rubbing excess glue with your thumb will get that excess glue off

• Like 2

Doesn't have to look pretty as long as it works ;)Rubbing excess glue with your thumb will get that excess glue off

One of my favourite sayings, "if it looks stupid and it works, then it ain't stupid".

Though, with all the E6000 I've been handling, I feel like I have a constant booger on my finger that just.won't.flick.off!

• Like 1

Alright, I can't be the only one that's slapped themselves in the face while trying to attach the knee ammo belt.  I know there are others.  I would just like to see the look of stunned surprise on my face though.

Okay, update time!

Somewhere under all those clamps and tape should be a shin with a sniper plate.  It was one of my first attempts at using a heat gun so I may have done more harm than good.  I will find out later when the clamps come off.  I'm hoping she holds and looks presentable, or at the very least is salvageable for a second attempt.

rUjDuFQ.jpg

Also found out that the thighs were just too long and needed to be trimmed.  They were poking into some mighty uncomfortable places.  I marked them for cutting by putting painters tape at the top and using the top edge to guide my makeshift compass with pencil along the contours of the thigh.  See below.  Yup.  That's a pencil lead taped to a caliper, using scrap abs as a splint to hold it in place.  It allows me to maintain my measurement and mark things at the same time.  Like I said, if it looks stupid and it works, then it's not really stupid.

Ct0gcBE.jpg

Ab plates below with decals.  I gave the decals a tiny bit of loving with the heat gun and sure enough, they just formed perfectly to the buttons.

ZoHqHzV.jpg

Borrowed the tab system I saw somebody else use to help line everything up.  It seems to work pretty good.

NjExpYM.jpg

My poor workbench has never known such chaos.

zJNfl9o.jpg

I'm a bad painter so I used a little bit of tape.

iNGZ4Ii.jpg

Finally the cat tax. Blaster was from Brett Fulford.  Great job Brett!  You wrapped this baby with enough bubble wrap to cover the Death Star.

9w0f6Tz.jpg

The wife seemed disappointed that it didn't make any "pewpewpew" noises, or really do anything.  When I pointed out that the lasers they fired were really film effects, I knew from the look she gave me that it was time to shut my mouth and just go back to working on my armor.

Well, not much of an update, or tutorial, but it does log a bit of my progress.  I hope one day if I get a chance to build another set of armor I can learn from what I've done and create a real build that has properly detailed documentation. On the bright side, if everything goes well, I should be ready to submit my application for basic approval this weekend.   Yeah, I'm kind of excited.  I'm tempted to wait until Friday evening and mow the lawn in full gear to mess with the neighbors a bit.  I really don't want to subject my nice white boots to any grass stains though.  Does anybody know how we can protect our boots from such things?  Perhaps there's a spray of some sort?

Also, who am I kidding, I'm lazy and hate mowing the lawn, so I'm not too sure if it'll happen at all.

• Like 1

Making good progress! So did you actually manage to attach the knee ammo belt? Oh and what made you decide to use the heat gun over hot water for your sniper knee? Didn't really specify the issue you were having...either way, I hope it worked out for you!

Making good progress! So did you actually manage to attach the knee ammo belt? Oh and what made you decide to use the heat gun over hot water for your sniper knee? Didn't really specify the issue you were having...either way, I hope it worked out for you!

I chose the heat gun mainly out of frustration and it's close proximity to me at the time.  It was plugged in already and just looking for a victim.  The problem I was having was just having enough flat surface area that made contact to which I could apply some glue.  I made some heat shields with some folded cardboard to protect everything else such as the shin and just focused a bit of heat on the one corner of the sniper plate I was struggling to attach.  As soon as the desired temperature was reached it just went flat on the cardboard and I then had the surface area I needed to attach it.  I have to strongly echo what so many others have said though, be careful with the heat gun!!!  It can go from okay to very bad in an instant.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Raz & Luc, and well, everybody that got me this far. I've been so busy trying to get things approved in time for Toronto Fan Expo and keep up at work, that I haven't had time to post pics and write a decent build thread update. I should be able to take some time to do it this long weekend. <br><br>

Got to say it was pretty awesome looking at myself when done. Still lots of tweaking to do though.

• Like 1