Need Guidance on Shimming Shins

Hi all,

Approaching the finish line with my ANOVOS kit, and I've had to add shims to my kidney plate, biceps, and thighs. Those parts didn't give me any trouble as the shims were relatively straight forward.

The shins on the other hand? I'm struggling with a good method to add a decent sized shim that will allow me to still close the backs. At the widest, I need about 60-70mm wide for the shims, so yeah, decent sized.

Anyone have good tips/references for adding similarly sized shims to their calf pieces? Search is failing me. :(

I haven't shimmed my shins personally, but the process seems kinda complicated mainly because (im assuming) you'd want a piece of plastic that is the same length as the back of the shin. If you have any extra armor shreds that are near that length, all you'd need to do (in my theory) is glue half on the inside then velcro the other side and you'd be good. Goodluck though!

I haven't shimmed my shins personally, but the process seems kinda complicated mainly because (im assuming) you'd want a piece of plastic that is the same length as the back of the shin. If you have any extra armor shreds that are near that length, all you'd need to do (in my theory) is glue half on the inside then velcro the other side and you'd be good. Goodluck though!

Thanks for the reply. I'm cutting my shims from plastic No Parking signs, so I've got plenty of length to work with. The issue I'm running into is the first shims I cut didn't want to conform at all to the shape of the calf pieces once I did a test fit with it taped in place on one side.

I think I'm going to try making a new shim, slightly wider than what I first cut, and secure it in place to one side with glue like you said. The gluing & curing process should help make the shim conform a bit to the needed shape (I hope) and then I'll try applying industrial strength velcro to the other side and see how that closes.

• 3 weeks later...

John - How did he shims on the shin work out?  I am running into the same issue for a suit I am building for someone.  I was going to Velcro a piece to just the inside, but my GML told me that would not pass.  I am trying something similar to the above.  Glue an inside piece on one side.  Glue another wider piece on top of that so the plastic is now flush with the armor, and then Velcro the other side to the inside.  Then Velcro the outside tab as you normally would over that.

Here's ultimately what mine looked like:

b536768166ad7de6321d515f8d15b6e2.jpg

Inside view:

ac98a05d42bf7ce4820f9cb55d232580.jpg

Painted:

0c6d4d3d309182cee99767038985ba8e.jpg

Worn:

556f8520246a45f2e89abf786fe3da2e.jpg

The curve makes gluing the shims awkward, and I'll ultimately need to give them a water bath to shape the whole part a bit better, but they close thanks to the industrial strength Velcro and they stay put. Ultimately, I will make seams disappear with ABS paste sometime down the line.

Edited by jonhaag

One more question, what paint did you use to match the ANOVOS?

A garrison-mate worked with a company to do a custom run of spray paint that was color-matched to the ANOVOS ABS. Edited by jonhaag

That is a great idea. Is there a way to order with some sort of color number?

It's fairly prohibitively expensive for just one can.

If you join the Anovos Stormtrooper Kit Building Group on Facebook, you can look for the custom paint post by BJ Browne and contact him about joining in on the next group purchase.

• 2 years later...
On 6/22/2016 at 6:36 AM, jonhaag said:

Here's ultimately what mine looked like:

Worn:

556f8520246a45f2e89abf786fe3da2e.jpg

The curve makes gluing the shims awkward, and I'll ultimately need to give them a water bath to shape the whole part a bit better, but they close thanks to the industrial strength Velcro and they stay put. Ultimately, I will make seams disappear with ABS paste sometime down the line.

Hey Jon, did you ever get to fill in the gaps on your shims with ABS paste? Could you comment, if so, how they turned out? I'm having some thigh shims I plan to cover up with some scrap splint and filling in the gaps with ABS paste - I'm curious as to how flexible and resilient ABS paste would be on the thighs.

Thanks!