A little advice please!

Hi all.

Just a quick question, I need some advice.

I am looking at making a purchase in the not too distant future.

I know which armour vendor I'm going with, my question is do I go for 1.5mm or 2mm abs? What are the pros and cons?

What do you guys wear and why?

Sorry if this question has been asked already!

Thanks in advance

Marc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Marc would this be TM by any chance? If so then I can tell you that the 2mm is a great kit to work with and builds into a fantastic set of armour. Feels nice and solid, it's not as flexible as the 1.5mm so won't hold up to having the original strapping system if you were thinking of using that. If you want your armour to look like you just came off set then 1.5mm is the way to go. If however you want your armour to look and feel as if you actually stepped of the death star then 2mm.<br>

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I am edging towards 1.5mm. I believe it wil be lighter to wear and like the idea of flex. Im also thinking about the build and ease of trimming, but wanted as much info as I could get. I'm going with RWA armour.

Thanks for the responses so far!

The clincher will be hoe you're building it...

If you want to use original style brackets then you only want the 1.5, if you want to use snaps either will work...

Paul told me that the 2.0 abs coating can crack if its put together with brackets...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

The clincher will be hoe you're building it...

If you want to use original style brackets then you only want the 1.5, if you want to use snaps either will work...

Paul told me that the 2.0 abs coating can crack if its put together with brackets...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

I've not decided yet. Like the idea of using the original method and need to look more into that. But feel more comfortable with snaps as that's what I'm used to using.

I have 2mm abs ATA armor and I used the bracket system without any problems.  However I needed to make some slight adjustments and I ended up replacing the brackets on my back to ab connection with snaps. I didn't feel like sewing smaller elastic hoops, lol.  I left the screws in place though so it still looks authentic from the outside. It's brackets everywhere else though no cracks or problems.

RWA I am assuming will be on a par with TM .<br>

I used lexan scissors on mine not a problem so you should be fine with trimming. As for flex this will only be an issue if you leave big return edges mine are 5mm from the face of the armour which means inside they are only about 3-3.5mm. This lets it flex more than enough for anything you need to do in costume. As for weight of the armour I would think that there would not be to much difference between the two.

• Like 1

It also depends on how you want your armour to look. The 2mm is acrylic capped so it is nice and shiny, if that's your thing. If RWA's ABS is similar to TM, the 1.5mm is not acrylic capped so it is more 'dull' and cream coloured in comparison. The colour and finish of the latter is as close to the originals, as possible. Personally I'm going with the 1.5mm and original strapping so it looks a lot like the kits back in '76.

Edited by Nagedzi
  • Like 1

It also depends on how you want your armour to look. The 2mm is acrylic capped so it is nice and shiny, if that's your thing. If RWA's ABS is similar to TM, the 1.5mm is not acrylic capped so it is more 'dull' and cream coloured in comparison. The colour and finish of the latter is as close to the originals, as possible. Personally I'm going with the 1.5mm and original strapping so it looks a lot like the kits back in '76.

Can you pollish up the flatter 1.5mm abs though?

Can you pollish up the flatter 1.5mm abs though?

Yes, you can still polish it and it will gleam--just not quite as much as acrylic capped. Maybe ask your armour supplier as his 1.5mm is likely a different "plastic recipe" than TM's?

• Like 1