TK-11146 From dream to reality in seven months

I had driven past a 501st troop near my home many years ago in front of a local fire station, and wondered how I could get involved with them. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to stop and ask, and so the interest faded. With the announcement of Ep VII, I remembered that day and started researching the 501st, which led me to FISD.

I decided to go with the AP kit, and put my order in with Mark at the end of August 2015. About that same time, he started working on modifying his molds. Good timing, I thought - maybe I can get one of those kits instead. However, that meant a bit longer wait than I had initially expected.

So, I got to work on my E-11 Blaster. Starting with a Doopydoo's resin base, I added T-Jay's accuracy kit and Gazmosis' mag replacement (which was a good thing, since Doopy did not send me a mag in my kit). While working on that blaster, I came to know several great troopers here on FISD, and really understood the meaning being Troopers Helping Troopers. When I came up against something, or just wanted another opinion, there were several that would throw options into the thread, and kept me striving for just a bit more detail. By the first week of December, I had completed my blaster and LOVED how it came out. Special thanks to T-Jay, Thrawns Guard and Sith Lord for their continuous pointers.

On February 2, 2016, the BBB came. And the overwhelming "what did I just get myself into?" feeling, for about a minute. I had done quite a bit of research over the previous six months, reading and re-reading the build threads in the ANH section. At this point, I met up with another set of awesome Troopers - others that had ordered their kits from Mark at the same time, and we were all getting our kits! Jinsei and Pyrates were right there with me, each following up on the others, and seeing what we could do to help. TK 2759 would drop in and answer questions often as well, and I even PM'd Sly11 and ukswrath on some items that I was still unsure of.

Finally, a few days ago (March 27th), the armor was at a point that I could get basic pictures taken, and start the process of applying to the 501st. I was VERY fortunate, as I was able to submit my app at 5:30PM, received a call from the GML at 7:30PM to say he had my app, 8:15PM another call from the GML to let me know things looked good, and at 10:14PM, I received an email with my TK ID!!

Of the many things I learned, these are the items I pass along to anyone that I can:

1) E6000 - use it. Every time. There were several parts that had to be taken apart and reglued, either for fitting or just because items didn't look right after it dried. It takes a little more time, but it is WELL worth it when you need to be able to make adjustments or correct mistakes.

2) The more clamps and magnets, the better. Although you want to be patient when E6000 sets, waiting to do something because of lack of securing tools is not fun.

3) Give as much as you get. You might be surprised how much you can learn by following others' build threads, and answering questions as they are building their own armor.

I am in the Midwest Garrison, but here in southern IL, it is easier/closer to attend armor parties put on by the awesome folks over at the 70th Explorers Garrison/Gateway squad. From the moment I stepped into that armor party, I started to see why being a part of this brotherhood is so awesome. I was able to troop with them as a handler, and I'm hooked. :D

I look forward to completing my EIB and Centurion applications, and who knows, maybe even more here at FISD.

With unquestioned loyalty,

Gary Hill

sentry71 - TK 11146

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 10

Just got a chance to read this Gary - my friend it is absolute pleasure to know you and it's been one heck of a great time along the way - big time congratulations brother!

• Like 1